Author Topic: Next coach  (Read 51379 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Next coach
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Per sources, interested and perhaps early favorites, but yet to apply as they are still playing:
Rick McFadden, Akron Asst - Recruiting Coordinator
Jarrod Calhoun, Fairmont State Head Coach

Per WFMJ, the following have formally applied:
LaShun McDaniel, can't find much on this candidate
David Ragland, Valpo Assistant
David Smith, Methodist University Head Coach
Daniel Sancomb, Wheeling Jesuit Head Coach
Dylan Howard, Morehead State Associate Head Coach
David Buchanan, Drake Director of Basketball Operations
Scott Sorenson, Northland College Head Coach
Michael Greant, (Think this is Grant and he was just let go as Coppin State head coach)
Mike Mahon, can't find much on this candidate
Dane Fischer, Buckner Associate Head Coach
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:46:10 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2017, 09:56:41 PM »
Better hope applications continue to arrive....  Dane Fischer from Bucknell would be my pick out of this list....

ValleyTalk

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »
Better hope applications continue to arrive....  Dane Fischer from Bucknell would be my pick out of this list....
One Horizon League fan that doesn't like YSU in the league, PantherU, is tweeting up a storm in strong support of Dave Buchanan. Has some great things to say of him.

Still think Calhoun and McFadden are favorites and will formally apply once their seasons conclude.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »
My .02 worth...

LaShun McDaniel: Has lots of experience but has not paid his dues in the collegiate ranks. The guy from Westminster at least has 6-years of D-III to go with his European stints. Although McDaniel does have ABA experience.

Ragland: No direction. Too many stops with no cear direction up.

Smith: Did he not just resign from YSU?

Sancomb: Never been anywhere else, but you have to respect what he has done there at Wheeling. Worry about DI vision and recruiting.

Dylan Howard: Don't know enough about him. Love the program though.

David Buchanan: Is he far enough removed from the HS game? Everything is positive about him. Good program, and two good teams in WI. Could really help recruiting.

Scott Sorenson: Like Buchanan, seems to be doing a lot recently but is he ready?

Michael Greant: If it is Grant, losing to Howard they is what cost him his job.However at 51, I expect more.

Mike Mahon: There used to be a big time player over in Cinci...could be him, not sure.

Dane Fischer: I think they mean Bucknell. He is as ready as he is ever going to be. I do not know anything about his game.

Offline PantherU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:21 PM »
Dave Buchanan is most definitely not the DOBO at Drake, he was a full assistant coach. Beat us in recruiting a couple times.

There's a reason I'm pitching him. I think this conference is by and large stuck with each other, and the only way this conference gets good enough for multiple bids is if the bottom programs get better.

Buchanan also was a head coach in D-III for 7 years. He's the best of both worlds - experienced as HC and experienced as AC. Lower division AND mid-major assistant. Strong X's and O's coach AND strong recruiter.

He picks the right assistant job at a high-major or mid-major this offseason, YSU won't get a shot at him again.

I found him on LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/coachbuchanan

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »
Like Calhoun out of everyone.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2017, 05:57:22 AM »
Calhoun better apply

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
I could care less about basketball.  Will we ever make the Tournament and be competitive?  I see everything in basketball as a series of compromises because we do not have the facilities to attract the best.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:41:32 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
  Strollo targeted Calhoun from the beginning.   His Fairmont State team in the elite 8 of Division 2.   When their season ends, look for Strollo to offer him the job, and I would think Calhoun would accept.

I think the only thing that could be an issue is if Cleveland State offers him.  But from what I have been reading and hearing, Cleveland State not all that interested.

Calhoun right now the overwhelming favorite to get the YSU job.  Whether we agree or not, Strollo has been, and his determined to hire someone with coaching experience.  McFadden will not get this job.  He has interviewed, or at least will.  But that is to please those in town with influence who are pushing hard for McFadden.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:13:02 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
you know what bothers me?  we are in the middle of spring football and all I read on this blog is idle speculation on the next MBB HC.  who cares about MBB anyway?  you ALL (with the exception of IA) say you don't care about it and yet you speculate endlessly about the next HC.  hire somebody, let him have 2 years to recruit and coach and let's see where we are, otherwise, what's up with real sports.....IE: FOOTBALL!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »
you know what bothers me?  we are in the middle of spring football and all I read on this blog is idle speculation on the next MBB HC.  who cares about MBB anyway?  you ALL (with the exception of IA) say you don't care about it and yet you speculate endlessly about the next HC.  hire somebody, let him have 2 years to recruit and coach and let's see where we are, otherwise, what's up with real sports.....IE: FOOTBALL!

Then don't comment on this thread. Some of us actually like basketball, and this program resurrected back from the dead. Spring football is a quiet time. It ramps back up right before the start of fall camp. Relax.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:21 AM »
The university offers 17 intercollegiate sports for men and women.  I care about ALL of them, and I want as many of those as possible to be successful. 

Again, I reject the widely held theory that football and basketball are in competition with each other.  If the three revenue sports thrive, everybody benefits.  People are happy and their attention is fixed upon the university from September into March. 

I attended five men's basketball games during the past two seasons, completely turned off by the incompetence of the current staff.  I want to go to ALL the men's basketball games.  That is why I have an intense interest and concern for this hiring process.

Since1990,

I sure hope that you are correct.  On paper, Calhoun fulfills every single item on our coaching checklist.  We should know by next week.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »

Then don't comment on this thread. Some of us actually like basketball, and this program resurrected back from the dead. Spring football is a quiet time. It ramps back up right before the start of fall camp. Relax.
[/quote]
MBB used to be a GREAT game.  Until the "one and done" ruined the big game and the lack of a IAA level for the YSUs of the world left us in a no man's land with nothing to really shoot at for a national tournament.  Now it has the same level of interest and importance to university life as women’s bowling or track.

You seem a little condescending here aren't you?  Just trying to stimulate some addition posts.  I’ll relax when I’m damn good and ready to relax. (Beginning Friday on a 2 week golf vacation to Hilton Head)   

Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2017, 12:41:43 PM »
I had season tickets in the mid to late 90's before I had to give them up when the kids got busy with school activities.  Now that I have more time and JS is gone, I am looking forward to purchasing season tickets again.  I also believe with the right coach YSU will be competitive year in and year out in the Horizon.