Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 69647 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »
I still believe men's basketball would return more bang for the buck if we could get the right stuff in here to succeed....one crummy NCAA appearance would reap more $$ than football ever could...the arena doesn't hold us back...thw recruiting budget and coaches salaries do...however ..Jerry had it much better things here than Gannon and I'll always remember how Dan Peters told me how much better it was here than whete he came from and that was before the remodel of the locker rooms..trust me on this ..its all about who you play for at our level...Butler was junk until Thad  Matta...simeone somewhere is thirsting  for this job and we need to find him

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »
Beeghly is nothing but a glorified high school gym.  How much money does YSU pay annually to play home baseball at Eastwood Field (12 miles away)?  If a profit could be made I would rather invest money to play home games at the Covelli Centre, even if it's a little smaller then Beeghly it looks like a real arena.  Covelli would make an excellent recruiting tool.  But YSU does not want to invest in men's basketball because any success would tarnish our reputation as a "football school."

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Beeghly is nothing but a glorified high school gym.  How much money does YSU pay annually to play home baseball at Eastwood Field (12 miles away)?  If a profit could be made I would rather invest money to play home games at the Covelli Centre, even if it's a little smaller then Beeghly it looks like a real arena.  Covelli would make an excellent recruiting tool.  But YSU does not want to invest in men's basketball because any success would tarnish our reputation as a "football school."
"Beeghly is nothing but a glorified high school gym." 
Too some extent all areas are glorifed high school gyms if they don't have loges and beer sales.While arguable true, the comment is irrelevelant if you are competeing with Kent, Akron, Bowling Green et. al.  I'd stack Beeghly against any of them.  Buffalo has a realitively new building but their old place was down right scary!
"If a profit could be made I would rather invest money to play home games at the Covelli Centre"
That's a BIG "if" Nick.  MBB don't make money at most schools and if you rent off campus you eliminate most students and raise you costs.  Maybe Covelli "looks" better, but that doesn't fix a damn thing money wise.
If we have to pay for a coach, they pay, but this stuff about moving etc. doesn't make any sense to me.

"But YSU does not want to invest in men's basketball because any success would tarnish our reputation as a "football school."  Too dumb to honor with a comment.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 03:18:20 PM »
You make some good points, but the idea is to get sports ON campus ...not move to Covelli. That is why they moved softball. They had no choice but to build a new women's facility for soccer ...the money was there and we needed to take it or lose it.

Go I am not apologizing. Heck I am actually in favor keeping Slocum with tougher terms. We cannot do that with anyone else, not even Wernicki ...it just would not be fair. What I am saying is that all of these new sports (most of which are women's) take budget away from MBB.

Then there are those on this board who would not even offer a public "thank you" to a retiring Slocum & think that such a slap in the face would go unnoticed by any potential replacement? everything has it's price.

I happen to like baseball far more than any other sport ...probably even football and certainly basketball. Funny how no one says a word when a team drops football for financial reasons. Yet we cannot drop MBB as it would cause a civil liberties lawsuit. However it not a cheap sport anymore.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:39:54 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »

IAA, I disagree with you about Slocum, it's time to go.  Keeping Slocum with "tougher terms" is bullsh**.  What would you do: "Jerry, you MUST win +50% of your games or get fired"?  If the guy isn't giving his full effort to winning 50% now, he should be fired.  If he is giving an effort and is winning 35% or whatever, then he should be fired.  Either case, one answer. 
I simply don't believe we have siphoned off money from MBB to fund women's bowling or whatever.  If that is the case then everybody involved, including JT, should be fired.  I don't have off-hand numbers for spending on MBB, but overall the spending for sports has climbed every year for more than 10 while overall university spending has gone down recently.
I also believe your dropping football going without comment, but dropping MBB causing an uproar is naive at best.  Start a rumor about dropping FB and see what happens.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »
I have never bought into the "Football v. Basketball" concept.  The best time ever for YSU sports was the 1997-98 academic year.  National championship for football, conference championship and win over Memphis in the NCAA tournament for women's basketball, and appearance in the conference final for men's basketball. But within five years, all three coaches were gone and the hard times began.  Football and both basketball programs tanked under poor leadership.  It was not money or the distribution of the money, it was the quality of the coaching.  Heacock and Wolford.  Stroia, Robic, and Slocum.  Hill and Martin.  Only the arrival of Boldon/Barnes and Pelini restored those programs.  Men's basketball remains a black hole, and it will stay that way until the proper guy is found.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »
On his sportscast this evening, Dana Balash (tv21) reported that the university can pick up or decline an option on Slocum for next season.  Deadline for the action on that option is April 1.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »
Could the facilities at Beeghly be better, sure, but that is not the problem. If we were winning 25 plus games a year the place would be full and no one would be talking about the bench seats.

Track, bowling and such are doing great and that should impress us all, but only three sports are in a position to "make" money; WBB MBB and FB.

Go out and find a young John Wooden, enjoy a three to four year ride before he is snatched away by a bigtime program and then do it again. I doubt we will ever be a destination for a proven coach but we can have a nice run by being a stepping stone if we find the right hires.

fill all those empty bench seats and BB will pay for itself and more.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
Could the facilities at Beeghly be better, sure, but that is not the problem. If we were winning 25 plus games a year the place would be full and no one would be talking about the bench seats.

Track, bowling and such are doing great and that should impress us all, but only three sports are in a position to "make" money; WBB MBB and FB.

Go out and find a young John Wooden, enjoy a three to four year ride before he is snatched away by a bigtime program and then do it again. I doubt we will ever be a destination for a proven coach but we can have a nice run by being a stepping stone if we find the right hires.

I would rather be sitting on the hard old bench watching us wining games than sitting on a fancy seat watching Slocum losing games. Let us get our priority right.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2017, 11:17:10 PM »

I would rather be sitting on the hard old bench watching us wining games than sitting on a fancy seat watching Slocum losing games. Let us get our priority right.

Amen!

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
If I am not mistaken, Bowling Green has a brand new arena.  That said, I was at the game versus CSU at the Wolstein Center. ...  a building that CSU wants to tear down snice the size doesn't fit them, and the building is 25 years old.  The video board was no longer working, and in my opinion our pep bad is way better than CSU's.  I know I am biased, but I would take a game at Beeghly over the Wolstein Center, albeit the bleachers.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
YSU needs to remodel Beeghly.   While being remodeled play a year at the Coveli center.  New coach and remodel will go long way.  Need funds for remodel I understand.  Arena has seen better days.  Its dated and is like going back to the 1970's with those bleachers. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »
I have never bought into the "Football v. Basketball" concept.  The best time ever for YSU sports was the 1997-98 academic year.  National championship for football, conference championship and win over Memphis in the NCAA tournament for women's basketball, and appearance in the conference final for men's basketball. But within five years, all three coaches were gone and the hard times began.  Football and both basketball programs tanked under poor leadership.  It was not money or the distribution of the money, it was the quality of the coaching.  Heacock and Wolford.  Stroia, Robic, and Slocum.  Hill and Martin.  Only the arrival of Boldon/Barnes and Pelini restored those programs.  Men's basketball remains a black hole, and it will stay that way until the proper guy is found.
I agree 100% (except we are a university, so it should be "until right person is found")

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
Duquesne University had ugly bleachers just like YSU and got rid of them and put in seats.  You lose some #’s but it looks much nicer.   
See the picture:   http://www.goduquesne.com/facilities/duqu-facil-palumbo.html

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2017, 09:52:33 AM »
Where is the money going to come for this ? Who would want to donate for a loser basketball program that makes no money right now ? We are talking many years down the road for this to happen. Price tag would be big. Get rid of Jerry first.