Author Topic: ticketgate  (Read 42373 times)

Offline bulldogg

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ticketgate
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2016, 01:22:14 AM »
You guys argue about stupid sh!t. You are in the National Championship game. Wouldn't discussing your game plan, your opponent, etc. be more relevant than discussing which one of you is the bigger a$$hole?

Just sayin'. It looks weird to an outsider. See you in Frisco!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:23:44 AM by bulldogg »

Offline Pfoottball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2016, 02:09:59 AM »
Great post!! Unfortunately we have people like penguin nation and 1AA fan that have no clue about Football ,, BUTT, message boards let people like them have there say.. Carry On!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 04:50:25 AM »
As I stated earlier attendance was shi!tty. If they would have been able to predict the demand they wouldn't be under so much scrutiny, however there is also a lot to say about the pussified fans that didn't show all year.  I know that most regulars on here go to the games, so that statement was not directed at you.  However, there are a lot of people in Youngstown that are bandwagon fair weather fans.  Not just figuratively but literally.   The underlying problem is budget and the effects of attendance on the shoestring budget.  People want tickets to the NC but not to a playoff game?  In my mind  can't have it both ways.  If the attendance was there they would have bought the allotment.

I want an newspaper article that hits the general population in the mahoning Valley with some deserved guilt.  We can do better than this with attemdamce as a community.  Most of the tailgate lot is geriatric at this point.  Where is the next generation?  The population density has not dropped significantly enough for attendance to be as poor as it has been.  Face it....... group ticket sales and corporate sponsors have to represent the majority of the tickets sold and their distribution to the freeloaders is making the university almost totally dependent on them.  It's exactly how the mafia would control it.  YSU doesn't have access to the fans directly.......YSU has access through the corporate sponsors that distribute tickets to free loaders.  Because of this issue they really don't have a clue how many tickets they needed to order.  The free loaders don't have any skin in the game so if it is cold.....they stay home.  If they need to go to their sisters cousins uncles daughter's baptism and there is free food, well they will just go to that because nobody's going to use the free ticket anyway, plus there is probably  free food and it isn't cold outside. Maybe they will give the ticket to some bum that needs it. 

Lesson to be learned.........tell people to buy their own tickets.  They are trained to ask for free tickets just like dogs.  Need to break the habit and make the games more exclusive.  Then they will come to the games.  Culturally people want to belong, but in Youngstown that notion is amplified about 1000 times (probably due to our history if you get my drift).

I recommend significant and constant peer pressure within the community starting 3 weeks before Labor Day and throughout the season.  Recruit people to the games...that will leave little doubt on how many toclets they need to purchase.  Our athletic program is not sustainable at the current rate of attendance.  It may also be the reason why we aren't hiring the best.......because it all boils down to money when it comes to getting talent.  Pelini won't likely be here forever.  Our coaching salary is no where near the top of the FCS.  If anyone wannts to be FBS, it has to change like yesterday

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/24/demand-for-tickets-catches-ysu-off-guard/?mobile
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:57:05 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2016, 05:03:03 AM »
Okay:

From the NCAA clearing house of all places, I sent the email to the address in the pamphlet & no personal signature either ...but it is official:

Thank you for your letter. In answer to your questions, it is quite common for teams to order paper-only tickets and is the most common method. It protects seating. I believe both teams involved in Saturday's contest only ordered from their paper-allotment.

They really did not answer any of my questions, but at least we know. Now can we put this to bed?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/24/demand-for-tickets-catches-ysu-off-guard/

I don't buy the e-ticket excuse.  You would turn down a risk-free loan of tickets until 26 December because JMU would buy our seats?  Some might try, but like us, most want to sit with their side. You could limit them to PC members, students, alumni association members, and season ticket holders....and effectively screen out any JMU fans.  Also, you could require ticket purchasers (outside of those groups mentioned) pick them up at the YSU ticket office.

Also, this article does not address why did the SID lie about the dates?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »
What a bunch of Whiney ass b****es on here.   Embarrassing. Bunch of Nancy girls, especially Peter and Nation.  You disgrace the entire fan base.  Grow up.

Merry Christmas, little girls..
Joe Cool

Offline Redbird Fourthandshort

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/24/demand-for-tickets-catches-ysu-off-guard/

I don't buy the e-ticket excuse.  You would turn down a risk-free loan of tickets until 26 December because JMU would buy our seats?  Some might try, but like us, most want to sit with their side. You could limit them to PC members, students, alumni association members, and season ticket holders....and effectively screen out any JMU fans.  Also, you could require ticket purchasers (outside of those groups mentioned) pick them up at the YSU ticket office.

Also, this article does not address why did the SID lie about the dates?
Penguin Nation .. I introduced my self earlier on different thread. Im an ISU Redbird fan. I don't know your posting history and battles with moderator, but you are right on with your concerns over YSU handling of ticket allotment. Per my other post, in our 2014 run, our Admin initially screwed up but recovered nicely and we wound up using our full allotment.

Your Admin was completely unprepared for the ticket buying .. either too lazy/uninformed. But it is obvious they didn't want any risk of getting stuck with any tickets after losing money with earlier playoff bids .. except now we're talking about the National Championship. Possibly they were given directive to not lose any more money .. but that wouldn't explain lying to your fan base or being too lazy to read the actual rules, which are now clear to most people.

By the way, the blow up for ISU was over AD Strollo's comment below from article you linked. ISU initially bought entire allotment but was not prepare to screen or impose reservation priority system .. so a bunch of Bison fans got wind of this and started buying our tickets from us. Our fan board went ballistic and our Admin quickly recovered by imposing a priority reservation system that required buyers to reserve only, and then all reservations would be subjected to a priority points system based on their affiliation/contributions to ISU.

“If we chose the electronic option then anyone could’ve bought those and we could’ve had James Madison fans buy our tickets and sit in our section,” Strollo said. “We wanted to protect our tickets and make sure our people were getting tickets in our sections. - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/24/demand-for-tickets-catches-ysu-off-guard/#sthash.PBZqkiOv.dpuf

So in 2014, ISU effectively blocked anyone unaffiliated with ISU from having their ticket reservation fulfilled. Someone tell AD Strollo, they could have set uo reservation system with priority points .. we did it in a matter of days after realizing Bison were trying to buy our tickets from us in droves.

That said, the idea that YSU wouldn't sell more than 1,000 tickets for a championship game is pretty ludicrous given your history and fan base. ISU has very similar issue with our fan base .. pretty fair weather group in general. In 2014 run, we drew just 5650 for our 1st round playoff against UNI .. MVFC co-champs, 5th seed, big rival UNI, decent December weather, though students were gone for break .. and we drew just 5650, of which at least 700 were UNI. So we drew less than 5k for game in our back yard. For the championship, we sold our entire 3,300 allotment and probably had close to another 700 throughout the stadium .. so we got 4k to Frisco after getting just 5k BloNo in 1st round. YSU would no doubt have done similar and likely better.

Now given how unprepared your Sports Admin was, imagine if Bison had won their semi .. they would have scooped everything, outside of the 1,000 YSU bought .. everything, especially considering the end zones are under construction. There would have been zero tickets available. Bison normally get 17-19k of the 21k capacity in Frisco. This year, I believe capacity will be closer to 16k or so with end zone construction. Imagine that scenario with just 1,000 tickets in hand for YSU, when offered 4,000.

As it happens, fortunately for YSU fans (and your Sports Admin Dept), JMU won and there will be tickets freeing up at reasonable prices closer to game week .. though less due to construction. But that does not change the fact that your Admin was woefully unprepared and/or uninformed, and then lied to your fans on several fronts.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:31:50 AM by Redbird Fourthandshort »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
Thanks for the info Redbird.  You included the AD's quote from the article:

“If we chose the electronic option then anyone could’ve bought those and we could’ve had James Madison fans buy our tickets and sit in our section,” Strollo said. “We wanted to protect our tickets and make sure our people were getting tickets in our sections."

He was worried about JMU fans infiltrating our sections....so he gave JMU our sections wholesale.   :D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2016, 10:49:43 AM »
Now maybe you see some of the frustrations that I get from Nation all the time. He comes on here and posts anything he wants an refuses to let anyone type a comment after him.

What?  Hahahahaha  ;D

Game set match. You do nothing but come here and attack my alma mater on a daily basis. You cannot stand anyone questioning your theories and calling you disloyal. BTW, you do not do what Pally did ...which is why you are still here. You have a long ways to go to catch up with him.

Man, you got to put away the rose colored glasses. I don't know the history of you and PN, but regarding this he just laid down the smoking gun.

Every YSU fan should be demanding answers on this. Just because someone is critical of the University doesn't mean they are less of a fan, and if as fans and/or students you don't demand better you won't get better.

Reminds me of a quote:

"What you tolerate is what will continue."

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
Fix the attendance problem and you won't have to bicker over technicalities to NCAA rules

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »
So what Redbird ...just go away. You are obviously a fraud troll. Another one of Nations alter egos. If you want to wish us luck then do so in another thread, we could care less about your opinions. I do not go to your boards and discuss your administration.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
So what Redbird ...just go away. You are obviously a fraud troll. Another one of Nations alter egos. If you want to wish us luck then do so in another thread, we could care less about your opinions. I do not go to your boards and discuss your administration.

Your hospitality to our guests is terrible.  Fans go to opponents boards all the time.  Just because you can't refute points Redbird made...no need to be a Scrooge.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »

Jesus, this is a sports forum, not nazi, germany. Let people voice their opinion and argue a little, my god.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
This thread is beyond pointless now. YSU dropped the ball on the tickets. I am seriously thinking of dropping my membership and other monies I give.  I guess 2500 to 3k means nothing to them.  Their main selling point it would give me a crack at all playoff tix.  Well that was not true.  I am going to Frisco because I have attended all the championship games. Strollo basically ignored the backbone of the PenguinClub and the diehards for the people in the loges.  You will reap what you sew. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline supermario21

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2016, 12:34:51 PM »
This thread is beyond pointless now. YSU dropped the ball on the tickets. I am seriously thinking of dropping my membership and other monies I give.  I guess 2500 to 3k means nothing to them.  Their main selling point it would give me a crack at all playoff tix.  Well that was not true.  I am going to Frisco because I have attended all the championship games. Strollo basically ignored the backbone of the PenguinClub and the diehards for the people in the loges.  You will reap what you sew.

This is where YSU gets hurt. It would be one thing if the only people affected were the ones who never show up, whine, complain, then want to be frontrunners. But this miscue affected most of the loyal fans who actually do what they're supposed to do. If this turns off both the diehards and lukewarm fans, expect even more fans to just sit at home and watch the games live on ESPN3. All it takes is a chromecast. Go Guins and let's not have this happen in future championship seasons.