Author Topic: YSU vs James Madison for the National Championship  (Read 91390 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs James Madison for the National Championship
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
Wow, 7 suspended players for JMU. Starting WR and LB are 2 of them.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 1st Annual United Cannabis Corporation Suspension Bowl, live from Frisco Texas. 

GO GUINS

Except they don't lose any starters

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »

They were all suspended before NDSU - our 2nd string LB came in and had 16 tackles.  The guy who made the game winning catch was our #1 WR's backup. 

As for your DLine, we've faced some pretty good ones this year - UNC, Villanova, UR, supposedly SHSU (but lol) and NDSU.  I'm excited to see how our OLine does against you.

As for the 06 game, I understand taht you guys felt we were disrespectful, but I've never been around a bigger group of sore winners than you all.  Our walk back to the bus was full of people cursing and throwing things at us.  After you won.  So I understand where a lot of the animosity from JMU fans comes from.  It also came from us being a defacto #5 seed and getting sent to the #4.
I wish I would've known about people cursing and throwing things--I always felt that was always unacceptable behavior--after witnessing the ignorant JMU fans for a few hours I felt that behavior by our fans was kinder than they deserved--every fan base has its class fans and a$$holes--these "fans" were in a league of their own.If we acted like that in Virginia I'm sure if we got out alive we would be lucky.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 09:13:07 PM by DavedS »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »
First it is Suspension Gate, now it is Ticket Gate.

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2016, 11:58:07 PM »
Is the rumor true about 7 JMU players being suspended?

They were suspended for the NDSU game as well. Same team that beat the Bison will be playing us.

Does anyone know for sure that our 5 suspended players are not going to play for the championship game? I don't know if this has anything to do with the suspension. The academic semester is officially over the day after the EWU game. We are now technically into the next semester.
However, I thought someone on this board had suggested that the suspension would last for 6 months or half a season into next year. Is that true?

Marijuana is 6-months ...everything else (non-steroid) is one year. This is mandatory. The NCAA only recently reduced it to 6-months. I will go out to NCAA.org and find it for us.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2016, 06:52:15 AM »

They were suspended for the NDSU game as well. Same team that beat the Bison will be playing us.

Does anyone know for sure that our 5 suspended players are not going to play for the championship game? I don't know if this has anything to do with the suspension. The academic semester is officially over the day after the EWU game. We are now technically into the next semester.
However, I thought someone on this board had suggested that the suspension would last for 6 months or half a season into next year. Is that true?

Marijuana is 6-months ...everything else (non-steroid) is one year. This is mandatory. The NCAA only recently reduced it to 6-months. I will go out to NCAA.org and find it for us.

Fan, thanks. I thought the suspensions might have been implemented by the university (just like that suspension placed on Lee Wright which ended after the regular season). Too bad, we could really use those 2 safeties.

Offline THEsocalledfan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »
My ebay auction for 4 great seats ends today at about noon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272490335990?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Right now, bidding is at $56 for the 4 tickets.  These are $70/each face value.

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2016, 09:39:56 AM »

They were all suspended before NDSU - our 2nd string LB came in and had 16 tackles.  The guy who made the game winning catch was our #1 WR's backup. 

As for your DLine, we've faced some pretty good ones this year - UNC, Villanova, UR, supposedly SHSU (but lol) and NDSU.  I'm excited to see how our OLine does against you.

As for the 06 game, I understand taht you guys felt we were disrespectful, but I've never been around a bigger group of sore winners than you all.  Our walk back to the bus was full of people cursing and throwing things at us.  After you won.  So I understand where a lot of the animosity from JMU fans comes from.  It also came from us being a defacto #5 seed and getting sent to the #4.

Dana Holgorsen of WVU said something along the lines of our DE were as good as he's seen, so yeah probably better than the likes of Nova and UR. I hope they are healthy and you can judge for yourself.

I have no tolerance for it, but even you have to admit that the post game treatment had to be the result of the in game antics, at least to some degree. No offense but biggest jerks I've seen short of GaSo, and that was in the 90's.

The 2 TD board nonsense sounds like there are some bitter pills left unswallowed.

Not sure what in game antics you mean?  Mickey was always animated, and our fans were loud and supportive of our team.  If anything, there were some calls that went the home team's way, as is to be expected. 

I'll be honest, I think we win by a lot.  It's no disrespect to you guys but going in and dominating NDSU in the FargoDome has given us a lot confidence.  Of course, that's why you play the game. 

For me the biggest deciding factor is that no one has shut down both sides of our offense all year - if someone keys in on the run we throw like crazy and vice versa.  A wet day where it's hard to get a handle on the ball sure would change my opinion.

What's a lot?
And how much money do you have?
I will be there so you and I can settle the bet there.

17 points?  I won't bet money but I'll bet you a bottle of whiskey?

Bottle of Whiskey works for me

Let's set some guidelines - I got burned by a guy on AGS.  If the Dukes win by 17 or more points by end of game, you owe me a bottle of whiskey.  If you want, we can put a range on the price.  $50-75 I'd say but lemme know if you think differently.  If the Dukes win by 16-1 or the Pengus win then I owe you a bottle.  Loser pays shipping cost unless we exchange at Frisco. Deal?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2016, 10:18:31 AM »
My recommendation for the bottle is:

Made right here in Louisville KY. I'll have an extra bottle with me $60.00 (retail price)! This is hands down the best Bourbon on the planet!!

I don't think you can buy this in VA or OH???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 10:22:58 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2016, 11:14:24 AM »
Dirty,

I'm a JMU fan, but would not take a bet for more than the line.   8)

About 2006....  We had a very good team that year that was one of the favorites to win it all as you were.  For us it was worse because not only did we need to play another contender but had to do so on the road on a short week.  We've had a history of being screwed by the selection committee in the past, as well as by our own admin in the bidding process.

I think the reason for not liking the JMU fans is 1) they are very vocal, and 2) the streamers are a different twist especially in your stands.

I know our admin was not real happy with your admin (in advance of the event) in the way the event was handled, but forget the reason....

Both teams have exceeded expectations this last month.  This will be two well coached teams.  How can either fan base not be optimistic or confident?

On ASU's side - you're from easily the best conference in 1AA/FCS.  Obviously battle tested.  Played WVU well. Have a coach from a major program.  Good QB, and Defense.  You've been counted out for the last 6 months, while knocking off top 5 teams on the way.  You have history with your program, so you've tasted success.

On JMU side - Only loss was to UNC and have been playing the best ball in it's history the last month.  JMU was up 65-0 after three quarters against the highest scoring offense in FCS/#5 seed/#1 ranked SHSU.  JMU went into the Dome and knocked out #1 seed/5 year reigning champs.   JMU is one of the best supported teams in FCS.

Two teams unexpected by most will come to play in a couple weeks.

As a JMU fan, I do hate waiting 3 weeks after playing three great playoff games.  Hope the time off does not hurt momentum. 

On a three week layoff - coaching will be key.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:35:34 AM by Dukester »

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »
My recommendation for the bottle is:

Made right here in Louisville KY. I'll have an extra bottle with me $60.00 (retail price)! This is hands down the best Bourbon on the planet!!

I don't think you can buy this in VA or OH???

Works for me!  I'm thinking a bottle of John J Bowman which is a VA bourbon if we lose.  Researching to see if there are any better VA bourbons or whiskeys.

Offline THEsocalledfan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2016, 01:10:21 PM »
Last chance to buy 4 great tickets for over 50% off face value.  My ebay auction ends in less than 2 hours.  These are section 110, third row; probably better and cheaper than many allotment seats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272490335990?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
Excellent post Dukester!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
Last chance to buy 4 great tickets for over 50% off face value.  My ebay auction ends in less than 2 hours.  These are section 110, third row; probably better and cheaper than many allotment seats.

It isn't in our section

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2016, 03:59:16 PM »
Dirty,

I'm a JMU fan, but would not take a bet for more than the line.   8)

About 2006....  We had a very good team that year that was one of the favorites to win it all as you were.  For us it was worse because not only did we need to play another contender but had to do so on the road on a short week.  We've had a history of being screwed by the selection committee in the past, as well as by our own admin in the bidding process.

I think the reason for not liking the JMU fans is 1) they are very vocal, and 2) the streamers are a different twist especially in your stands.

I know our admin was not real happy with your admin (in advance of the event) in the way the event was handled, but forget the reason....

Both teams have exceeded expectations this last month.  This will be two well coached teams.  How can either fan base not be optimistic or confident?

On ASU's side - you're from easily the best conference in 1AA/FCS.  Obviously battle tested.  Played WVU well. Have a coach from a major program.  Good QB, and Defense.  You've been counted out for the last 6 months, while knocking off top 5 teams on the way.  You have history with your program, so you've tasted success.

On JMU side - Only loss was to UNC and have been playing the best ball in it's history the last month.  JMU was up 65-0 after three quarters against the highest scoring offense in FCS/#5 seed/#1 ranked SHSU.  JMU went into the Dome and knocked out #1 seed/5 year reigning champs.   JMU is one of the best supported teams in FCS.

Two teams unexpected by most will come to play in a couple weeks.

As a JMU fan, I do hate waiting 3 weeks after playing three great playoff games.  Hope the time off does not hurt momentum. 

On a three week layoff - coaching will be key.

Nice post.

ytowngirl

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2016, 08:11:08 PM »

Weird cause Ohio State surely doesn't suspend players 6 months for weed.