Author Topic: YSU vs James Madison for the National Championship  (Read 90672 times)

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs James Madison for the National Championship
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 11:16:08 AM »
I'm sure JMU does have a lot of class fans Dirty--welcome back to the board!

Thanks DavedS - any idea how you guys are doing on ticket sales?  Lots of haters on AGS saying the stadium will be half empty.  I know we sold out our allotment in 2 days and are trying to find more - I've had tons of casual fans reach out to me trying to find tickets.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 11:20:32 AM »
Hey guys,

Funny that I still remembered my password from this site back in 2006. 

Congrats on an amazing win (what a f***ing catch) and looking forward to talking some football in the next few weeks.  Before you think I'm a troll the Dirty in my username comes from being a lifelong Falcons fan growing up in GA - so it's Dirty South.  Regardless, we've got an amazing team and we're very confident, something I gather you all are as well - deservedly so. 

I'll be watching some video of you all the next few weeks but in the meantime, what are your strengths?  I saw some generalized stats for stuff on our boards but I know you guys are a team that has come together in the later part of the season. 

To me the biggest matchup will be our O-Line versus your D-Line.  I'm looking forward to the battle of your Passing O versus our Passing D as well. 

I was one of the students in the stands in 06, and while that loss was brutal for us, most JMU fans respect YSU's history.  Glad to see you all making a resurgence. 

Cheers, Dirty

If you watch video of our offense, throw out anything from the first half of the season. It's changed a lot since #6 took over at QB. Welcome to the board.

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »
Hey guys,

Congrats on an amazing win (what a f***ing catch) and looking forward to talking some football in the next few weeks.  Before you think I'm a troll the Dirty in my username comes from being a lifelong Falcons fan growing up in GA - so it's Dirty South.  Regardless, we've got an amazing team and we're very confident, something I gather you all are as well - deservedly so. 

I'll be watching some video of you all the next few weeks but in the meantime, what are your strengths?  I saw some generalized stats for stuff on our boards but I know you guys are a team that has come together in the later part of the season. 

To me the biggest matchup will be our O-Line versus your D-Line.  I'm looking forward to the battle of your Passing O versus our Passing D as well. 

I was one of the students in the stands in 06, and while that loss was brutal for us, most JMU fans respect YSU's history.  Glad to see you all making a resurgence. 

Cheers, Dirty

If you watch video of our offense, throw out anything from the first half of the season. It's changed a lot since #6 took over at QB. Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the tip - is there a specific game where you guys feel you turned the corner?  Would love to start watching there.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 11:32:55 AM »
For my money Missouri State Nov. 19th.  They didn't put up much of a fight, but it allowed us to "practice" with a real team on the field and we seemed to "settle in" with Hunter at QB.

In case anybody is getting all excited about going to Frisco after the Ice Castle and the "Inferno", please note the current temp. in Frisco now is 16!!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
Thanks Go Guins.  How does your DLine look?  I think our OLine versus your DLine will be the deciding factor. Thanks so much,

Zac

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »
Thanks Go Guins.  How does your DLine look?  I think our OLine versus your DLine will be the deciding factor. Thanks so much,

Zac
depends on Avery Moss' bad ankle.  if he is good by the 7th, our DL will be the best you've seen.  if Avery is not good, we will be good but not great. (we sacked Gubrud 3 times without Moss)   
you can double Derek Rivers if Moss out.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »
We have 2 NFL prospects on our D-Line. Will probably be the best you've faced all year.

Offline THEsocalledfan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
JMU fans are confident they will beat us by 2 TD's or more ;)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 04:37:30 PM »
It will be interesting to see how coach Carl schemes them. He pressed with the safeties much more than I thought he would against such a high-powered pass game last week. Especially with no experience. Our line is solid Dirty, but not deep. So we pull up the LB's to give the line opportunities at the QB. However, we have our 2 starting safeties out as part of that player suspensions issue that we went through last week. SO right now we have 2 safeties and only 3 games experience between them. There is your weakness.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
Hey guys,

Cheers, Dirty

Welcome Dirty...I posted the original comment about what I am seeing already on the JMU board.  The ragging on Pelini and denigrating of Youngstown only riles us up more.  It happened in 2006 and it was disgusting.  I am glad we sent you home with a loss because the trash talking by the JMU fans was the worst I have seen.  We are a town that has been through the ringer and trying to make a resurgence - like the Penguins!  I will talk football all day with anyone - but as soon as I see the personal attacks on our town and our people - I will shut down and we will do our talking on the field. 

As far as watching some games - definitely do not watch anything from the first half of season as was stated earlier - anemic was a good name for our offense.  Wells has come in and done a great job leading this team.  Our D line is outstanding with a healthy Moss and Rivers.  The tackles are big and stuff the middle well.  We have several suspensions on defense but the back ups did a great job once they settled in against EWU.  On offense - our O-line is the heart of the team.  All of these teams have said they are the best against the run and will stuff our run game but nobody has been able to do it since Wells came in and opened up the running game by throwing the ball downfield.  When we had Ruiz and Webb we were great - with Wells and McCaster - we are even better at running the ball.  I watched the NDSU game and was thoroughly impressed by Abdullah.  Very good back and reminds a lot of many of the backs we have had here.  Schor is has a great release and touch on the ball.  This is going to be a great game.  Giving our new safeties 3 more weeks to get ready will help a lot and Moss ready also.
Our kick game was great early and struggled with some injuries but I think with the rest Kennedy will be ready to go.  He did well in the cold at EWU.   

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline bulldogg

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »
BTW, I'm a Bison alum that lives 20 miles away from the stadium so I have been to all the games in Frisco.  I'll go to support YSU if somebody fronts me a YSU ballcap (hopefully in the midst of the JMU side) or tells me where your pregame festivities are so I can buy one if your bookstore has a store down there like NDSU brings.  I can't root for JMU, sorry.

Do the MVFC proud and regain your title!  Go Guins!

Still all butt-hurt, are you?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:08 PM »
Tonight I was walking through Times Square (with my JMU alum wife) wearing a YSU jacket, and an excited guy stops me and asks, "Youngstown State! Did you see that game?!" He has no connection to either school, or any FCS school, but is stoked for the championship. Penguin love is everywhere.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline BishopsFather2310

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2016, 02:52:07 AM »
For my money Missouri State Nov. 19th.  They didn't put up much of a fight, but it allowed us to "practice" with a real team on the field and we seemed to "settle in" with Hunter at QB.

In case anybody is getting all excited about going to Frisco after the Ice Castle and the "Inferno", please note the current temp. in Frisco now is 16!!
Right now though, the temp for Jan. 7th is 68° hope that holds up...

ytowngirl

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:45:31 AM by ytowngirl »