Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 66697 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Eastern Washington
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »
Next Saturday on the red turf. 630pm on ESPN2. What a matchup this should be. They can score points with the best of em.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 11:35:07 PM »
Would be nice to hold these guys to 24!

Offline talon38

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:45:13 AM »
OK, so I'll get this started, yes, you'd love to hold eastern to 24 points or less, but lets just look at some stats which could be meaningless in a FCS semi-final game, and by the way, congrats to Youngstown State for their semi final appearance, awesome team.  In the last 7 games for EWU, the offense is at 38 points/game, and the Defense has allowed 11.75 points/game, 4 home and 3 road games.  So holding EWU to 24 points at home just wont happen, their lowest scoring point of the year was against Central Arkansas at 31 then Northern Iowa early in the year (Sept) at 34 points.  Other than those 2 games, the offense has scored 45,44,50,63,49,41,35,42,48,35, and 38 today against Richmond.  This is a Semi-final game with the 4 BEST in the FCS so the best football will come out.  EWU has lost there last 2 semi-final games AT Eastern in 2012 and 2014, so we are looking for some redemption.  The difference from those years to this years team, is EWU has a Defense.  In the years past, we just had to outscore teams, AKA: lost to Illinois State 2 years ago 59-46 cause we couldn't outscore them.  This team has learned from that debacle. 
Temperatures will be really cold for this game, highs of 9-12 degrees, but wind chills down to 0.  The best team with the fewest turnovers will win this game, but I do give EWU a 7 point home field advantage.  YSU will be a VERY tough opponent and should be used to cold weather and I'll discount the travel as the game is at 6:30pm EST.  May the best WIN and knock off the BIZON.  GO EAGS. 
Also, I didn't add EWU only loss this year was game 2 AT NDSU in 44-50 OT Loss.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:01:21 AM by talon38 »

Offline Owlguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »
OMG, the high next Saturday at the game is forecast to be 3 degrees.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
Our offense is going to need to play perfect in this one for a chance.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:28:10 AM »
It's a dry cold!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »
It's a dry cold!

LOL

What were the game time conditions yesterday Talon? I didn't get to see any of it.

How is the wind on a typical game day?

Looking forward to it. I have new polarized sunglasses on the way to help me cope with the most obnoxious field this side of Boise State. Did you guys have to make any special petitions to the NCAA to get away with that or is it simply a choice anyone could do at any time? Just kidding about the obnoxious thing, sort of.

Everything on the field will be red and white it should be interesting.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
I don't care how many points EW scores as long as we score more--it will be a tall order but not an impossible one.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 12:03:06 PM »
It's a dry cold!

LOL

What were the game time conditions yesterday Talon? I didn't get to see any of it.

Looking forward to it. I have new polarized sunglasses on the way to help me cope with the most obnoxious field this side of Boise State. Did you guys have to make any special petitions to the NCAA to get away with that or is it simply a choice anyone could do at any time? Just kidding about the obnoxious thing, sort of.

We should wear our red uniform from last night for this game. May be they can't see our QB/RB/receivers.

Boise State wore their blue and orange uniform playing on their blue field. At times, I had difficulties finding them on the field when watching them on TV.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
Certainly EW will be the favorite and I would guess by more than 7. If we play our game, cut down on mistakes and the D is solid we have a shot.

Either way it is great to still be talking football
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:59:48 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »
It's a dry cold!

LOL

It was around 20 degrees yesterday, field was icy but cleared of snow. There was no wind to speak of, but that was uncharacteristic of games in Cheney. Typically at least 5-10 mph. I'd say it's usually significant enough that trying to face north when kicking is a legitimate game winning strategy.

And the inferno is on the OTHER side of Boise ;)

Color wise, I bet eastern comes out in their greys or blacks!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
It's a dry cold!

LOL

It was around 20 degrees yesterday, field was icy but cleared of snow. There was no wind to speak of, but that was uncharacteristic of games in Cheney. Typically at least 5-10 mph. I'd say it's usually significant enough that trying to face north when kicking is a legitimate game winning strategy.

And the inferno is on the OTHER side of Boise ;)

Color wise, I bet eastern comes out in their greys or blacks!

Black would look good IMO.

Im sure in person and on the field its not that big of a deal. The camera angles can be a different story I'm sure in live action we'll be fine. I've only ever seen a replay or two in succession so its a bit hard to adjust to.

The Inferno, I like that!

Kicking has been a problem for us since our starter got injured. Special teams were a strength for us coming into the season, and our coverage and return games are good. Place kicking used to be money in the bank. Not sure if you saw but we went 1-4 on FG, had a punt blocked and missed a PAT yesterday.

Welcome to the board guys

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
Our kicking game is not particularly strong. We protect them from the tougher tries by going on fourth often. That gives Alcobendas the chance to be consistent in the tries he does get.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 01:46:36 PM »
I have been to your neck of the woods several times Eagle and Talon (beautiful country) and I agree with your assessment on weather. However, Buddy and Happy are also right on the impact of Lake Erie on our cold. Very wet and the ball weighs a ton ...it is much colder here in NE Ohio. Great for kids to make snowballs and ride sleds though :) That being said we have many Florida and other southern and CA boys on the teams and we have not played FB this late into the season since 2006, so none of them have had the experience either. I am very proud of these guys.

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
Who are your guys? What makes this team tick?