Author Topic: In Game thread: Guins vs Terriers  (Read 32579 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: In Game thread: Guins vs Terriers
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »
Lost my voice after screaming for 3 hours in the cold. With all the mistakes being made, it is hard to believe we still won the game.

Blocked punt, blocked kick, fumble, interception, missed field goal, all we need is a safety to complete the mistake cycle.

I hope we can get it cleaned up before the next game. Go Guins..it was a great win.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »
Lost my voice too! Just got home. Man I'm sore from just acting like a fool jumping around and screaming  ;D. No voice either. It wasn't always pretty but it was a win. I'll take it. Eastern Washington will be a challenge

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Lots of respect for that wofford team. That's a good football team. Seriously tons of respect. Fans seemed nice too.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 09:35:46 PM »
Wow what a game! The true heroes of that game was our offensive line who gave holes for a darting Jodie Wells and a defense that stopped Wofford twice without scoring in two OT's.

Wofford played a smash-mouthed game and kept the pressure on. Of course. we helped with several turnovers, missed-kicks and blocked kicks. I wonder what the score would have been without our miscues.

I am still ecstatic we won!

Next is Eastern Washington.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2016, 09:37:22 PM »
I mean Jodie Webb.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »
Wow! What a fabulous game. Wish I could I have been in the stands. We are on to the Final 4.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »
For those that are old enough to remember 1994, we followed the blowout win over Alcorn and McNair with a flat, lethargic performance against Eastern Kentucky at home in the next round.  We needed to drive the field in the last minutes to avoid an embarrassing loss.  You can't be sharp every game, and hopefully we have now got this performance out of our system.

All credit to the team for not folding after we gifted those 9 points in the first quarter.  And as OleFan just noted, the offensive line was excellent.  The defense gave up 150 of the 297 Wofford yards on that long run and the drive right after we had gone ahead late in the third quarter.  But they certainly rose to the challenge in overtime. 

In the past, Wells would often follow one mistake with several others.  He followed his interception today with three touchdown passes, and throwing into a serious crosswind is obviously difficult.  I will take it.

I believe this is our 12th playoff appearance, and we have now advanced at least into the semis on 8 occasions.  That is remarkable.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Lots of respect for that wofford team. That's a good football team. Seriously tons of respect. Fans seemed nice too.
My son pointed out after the game, except for 2 pass plays, Wofford ran the ball the whole game without a single holding call. Either the refs didn't call it or they were that good.

They have zero pass game. They know the are going to run. We know they are going to run. Yet, they were still able to run....amazing!

Usually, we had trouble running the ball if the other team put 9 in the box. We had to throw some long passes down field to loosen them up. Wofford was able to run the ball without the threat of a passing game.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01:13 PM »
Wick-I remember the Alcorn State game in 1994. I was in the stands. I was not in the stands the EKU game I believe my twin was, but I remember a last second drive. Good teams find ways to win. Just glad we are still playing on.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2016, 10:09:15 PM »
My son pointed out after the game, except for 2 pass plays, Wofford ran the ball the whole game without a single holding call. Either the refs didn't call it or they were that good.

They have zero pass game. They know the are going to run. We know they are going to run. Yet, they were still able to run....amazing!

Usually, we had trouble running the ball if the other team put 9 in the box. We had to throw some long passes down field to loosen them up. Wofford was able to run the ball without the threat of a passing game.

Just watched the replay 2 x ET and they are pretty good. I seen a few tackles from the Woffie O-line but not many. Also they did not cut block like I thought they would. Also, something I noticed, the Wofford D-line looked bigger than the YSU O- line ???
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:36:28 PM by ysubigred »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2016, 10:54:32 PM »
Kennedy looked hurt. Not sure why they kept sending him out there... Could play a big factor in next weeks game.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
Kennedy looked hurt. Not sure why they kept sending him out there... Could play a big factor in next weeks game.

Didn't look to hurt throwing his temper tantrum over on the side lines ???

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 12:05:45 AM »
94 i thk was year Sacca had transferred from PSU to EKU... He had a great game against YSU... The defense came through in the end...

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 06:05:49 AM »
Wick-I remember the Alcorn State game in 1994. I was in the stands. I was not in the stands the EKU game I believe my twin was, but I remember a last second drive. Good teams find ways to win. Just glad we are still playing on.
I was also at that game. I believe it was televised live on ESPN as a national broadcast because of Air McNair. I remember that I was in a long line to get my tickets because I was not yet a season ticket holder. We chased him around the whole game and ran up a big lead which he could not overcome. After the game, he blamed the lost on his inability to run due to his leg injury before the game.
Last night's game was more exciting even with all our mistakes. IMO, it ranks up there with 2 other playoff games against Nova and JMU.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 07:08:26 AM »
Wells has been terrible.  Now you see the real wells.

I guess we get to see the real Wells at least one more time

That's fine but he made some terrible short throws that could have easily cost the game.
BUT he didn't cost us the game, give the kid credit. The confidence Bo and Monty had in him in that OT speaks volumes of what they see in him. I was thinking run, run, run, and yet they let him pass.

Regardless, great win and a VERY energetic crowd, especially in the fourth quarter and OT.
Great win for YOUNGSTOWN!!!
The kid made throw after throw to win the game!  Pelini had nothing but praise for him after the game during the press conference! 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:43:06 AM by IAA Fan »
A Penguin for life!!!