Author Topic: Wofford.  (Read 43934 times)

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wofford.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 12:45:08 PM »
Tressel is from the same mold as Ayers.  He was that way at YSU and The OSU, but fans were more concerned about the W that the young men's future.  He was a very good coach but a better man.  Could only wish that there were more of those in the coaching ranks.  There's a few at the Big Time programs, but not enough. 

Ayers has had his opportunities to chase the coaching dream at much larger, and higher paying institutions, especially in his younger coaching days.  When Wofford went to the semi's back in 2003 and lost the Delaware, he was looked at pretty heavily, but declined.  Heck, a few years ago when Ga Southern (vomit) was searching for the coach to lead them into the SunBelt, he was one of 4 finalists, but had a heart to heart with Jerry Richardson (Panthers owner and WC grad) and Danny Morrison (Panthers President and grad) and decided to stay.  Plus, he's getting up there in age.  He pretty much has an open contract to coach until he decides to hang it up, even if he were to have a few poor years in a row. No one really wants to take that chance on hiring a coach that could retire after a few years, and then have to start all over again from scratch.

On another note, Goodson is listed as questionable this week, and is rumored to start.  Don't know how limited the play calling would be with him under center and on a tweaked ankle.  No matter who starts, we are gonna have to play our best, mistake-free game of the season, if we want to have a shot at coming away with the W. 

Go Terriers!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »
Bo Pelini is kind of hard to get a grip on as a coach.  He seems to do well with the kids but has a tendancy to lose his grip on the sidelines on game day.  He also had press issues at Nebraska, but the press coverage at YSU is slightly different than at Neb. and that hasn't been an issue.  Most coaches do "coach speak" which sounds like answers to questions but they don't say a damn thing.  Well Peline is the worst, he never says anything, Never.  But if I were a coach I'd get tired of the same stupid questions week in, week out, and would be the same, so I don't complain.  I wish we had some information but we get NOTHING.  Our season starting QB has been out matbe 6 weeks with a concussion which obviously is more that that, but we have -0- updates.  Anyway, Bo seems good with the kids and a couple even followed him here from Nebraska,
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
Bo did say Ricky Davis is ready to go if they need him--I think he purposely is vague so it makes the opponents planning more difficult as to what to expect.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
Bo did say Ricky Davis is ready to go if they need him--I think he purposely is vague so it makes the opponents planning more difficult as to what to expect.
Bo never "says" anything.  You can sometimes read between the lines, but he never says yes or no.  The last 3 games, when we have really moved the ball, we have put in Nate Mays and used him to provide run options at QB.  Frankly Ricky is far better than Nate at this point in their careers, but any team playing YSU would have to prepare for a run option QB on at least a couple series, of if it's Nate or Ricky, I don't see much difference for the opponent.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »
Bo never "says" anything.  You can sometimes read between the lines, but he never says yes or no.  The last 3 games, when we have really moved the ball, we have put in Nate Mays and used him to provide run options at QB.  Frankly Ricky is far better than Nate at this point in their careers, but any team playing YSU would have to prepare for a run option QB on at least a couple series, of if it's Nate or Ricky, I don't see much difference for the opponent.
In this case that is true but I do think that Bo purposely will be vague even about the minutest topics-its probably an instinctive habit--almost OCD-like.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:49 PM »
In this case that is true but I do think that Bo purposely will be vague even about the minutest topics-its probably an instinctive habit--almost OCD-like.
I agree

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »
Really good opening week Pressers today. Coach Bo explains how Wofford's option is different than a true triple ... use of wing and some true 2-back formations. He compared it to the old Fitch teams. Boy he sure has learned what makes the Ytown media's ears perk up.   LOL

Jody is just bursting with pride and Hunter is so candid, he comes right out and addresses his transitions out and back in. My respect for him just increased exponentially watching it. (not that it was ever down).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjWqY9-Xo2RdfmVximfhy5Q

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 06:21:27 PM »
I see where NDSU and JMU are the TV games this week. Had to expect that. The Dakota States get ESPN, while JMU v Sam Houston is on ESPN2. I was kind of hoping we would get ESPN2; but hey, we just need to win and get it in 2-weeks. I think JMU is the team to beat in that half;  they are really hot.

In fact, let's hope we take care of business and the Spiders defeat EWU, then we can grab a TV game at home!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
Let's worry about this week ;)

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
It's hard to convince the ESPN group to put such a small school as Wofford on TV.  Not a large fan base, small school, boring offense, etc.  They'll go with the bigger names with a better story line.  NDSU because they are the multiple time national champs.  JMU because of the history of the school.  Y'all would be a good TV draw because of your rich history in being the 4 time champs.  It's unfortunate that your draw in the playoffs is us from a TV standpoint.  You gotta think that one of the last times we played a prime time game, we got the crap kicked out of us by crApp St on Halloween,  by about 60 points.  Still have nightmares about that game.  Meanwhile, I'll watch the feed on E3 or stream it into the TV. 

Saturday can't get here fast enough!

Go Terriers!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 07:38:57 PM »
I see where NDSU and JMU are the TV games this week. Had to expect that. The Dakota States get ESPN, while JMU v Sam Houston is on ESPN2. I was kind of hoping we would get ESPN2; but hey, we just need to win and get it in 2-weeks. I think JMU is the team to beat in that half;  they are really hot.

In fact, let's hope we take care of business and the Spiders defeat EWU, then we can grab a TV game at home!

Last home game this week no matter what.  EW and Richmond outbid us for next round already..lets take care of business this week!!  Sound, fundamental football!  Take it to them early and often and make them come  out of their game plan!  All the faith and confidence in the Pelini brothers to get this defense prepared for the offense they are running.  I think Montgomery is really stepping it up and getting the offense prepared lately. 

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline 94Terrier

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
We have a Southland Conference officiating crew for the game.  Any history with a crew from this conference?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
Terriers have not given up a 100 yard rusher all season long. Strength vs Strength I would say... Wonder if Coach Tress has any tips for Bo since his team in 96 beat this same Wofford offense.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2016, 09:26:09 AM »
One of the best ways to stop their offense is to take something away they do well dive, pitch etc. I look for our backside LB's to be sent in the A or B gap just about every play. Any word on DT Cody Squiric? We sure could use him in this game
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:32:06 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:47 AM »
Really good opening week Pressers today. Coach Bo explains how Wofford's option is different than a true triple ... use of wing and some true 2-back formations. He compared it to the old Fitch teams. Boy he sure has learned what makes the Ytown media's ears perk up.   LOL

Jody is just bursting with pride and Hunter is so candid, he comes right out and addresses his transitions out and back in. My respect for him just increased exponentially watching it. (not that it was ever down).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjWqY9-Xo2RdfmVximfhy5Q
This is the mindset you want from one of your leaders on the team