Author Topic: YSU vs JSU Post Game thread.  (Read 25121 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs JSU Post Game thread.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »
Great game!  Defense was unreal and Wells did what he had to do - not turn it over.  He has a demeanor that is winning us games!  Wofford has no idea what is in store for them!  Pelini has these guys clicking.  Great feeling to be involved with this team!!

GO  GUINS!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 11:54:43 PM »
Penguinpower, great job in securing that victory.  There is no doubt that your decision to make that drive was the deciding factor.  One question.  The box score says the attendance was over 18k :P  My television screen suggested about 3,000 was more like it.  Your eyewitness judgment please.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 06:37:39 AM »
Penguinpower, great job in securing that victory.  There is no doubt that your decision to make that drive was the deciding factor.  One question.  The box score says the attendance was over 18k :P  My television screen suggested about 3,000 was more like it.  Your eyewitness judgment please.

I say they had 3,000 and we had between 150-200.  The annouced attendance was in the 18,200 range. I have really gotten to understand southern culture, I was able to understand the reason why their fans didn't show........mainly the weather.  Since I have acclimated to the weather down here I wear a jacket if it is below 77 degrees.  It was about 52 at game time but it was in the upper 30'so and low 40's all morning and the rain was on the way.  Funny thing is that there were people from Youngstown wearing shorts.....I am not kidding.  Some of our fans were in disbelief that weather was the major factor and I demonstrated by asking the event staff about the turnout and they said the reason was because it was cold and supposed to rain.  Their diehards were disappointed, but I completely understood  it.  Those Temps were downright February-like.

They have a nice fan base, one of the better ones that I've been around.  Their band was simply outstanding.  The best I've seen in the FCS.  There was a ton of hospitality, it was genuine, not the kind where they say "bless your heart" meaning you are a complete idiot.  The campus is small compared to ours and their library is a really nice building that is the tallest building in the area. 

It was an excellent game.  Our kids were tired.  Jax State was extremely athletic and their fans were completely impressed with our team speed.  They also lacked discipline, and their fans didn't like that at all.  Some of their fans were calling out penalties as we sat among them.  It was interesting

By the way, their fans were also calling for the ejection of #17 for targeting too.  They like football there just as we do.  The most similar fan base to ours in that way among any school I've visited.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 06:52:24 AM »
This game played out the way I thought it would.  They played man coverage because they felt the strength of their team was in the back end of their defense.  Wells picked them apart because play action worked and our receivers were simply faster than their defensive backs.  Wells just laid the ball out there for them to catch.  I didn't expect that we would be that much faster than them.  Their QB was a better running threat than I thought.  We simply couldn't stop them at one point in the 3rd quarter.  The defense played hard and they left it on the field. 

2 things: first, how many positive plays did we have out of the shotgun?  I counted ZERO but may have missed one.  We are simply better playing under center......period.  there was a remarkable difference using play action power offense.  That is what we are built for, don't tell me we are not.  I hate the stupid read option.  We played old school power football and won playing a pro set.

Second,  why don't we have any routes where the receivers come back toward the center of the field?  The post was open all day and we never had routs coming to the post  Why?   We always run routes where the player is moving away from the QB.  I just don't understand it.  Posts and slantsee are easier throws.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
Does anyone know the condition of the injured player that was targeted by the cheap shot?  It looked pretty serious.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »
What a great morning to be a penguin fan!! I figured we would take what the defense gave us. Obviously their head coach underestimated Wells as a passer and the speed of our receivers. The Samford coach last week thought the exact opposite. Any final 8 team in this bracket has to be respected and we must guard against a letdown after a win of this magnitude and get as healthy as possible. Wofford is down to their 4th quarterback..all were running Qb's that were injured during the course of the season. I'm starting to believe the only team that can beat us is ourselves. How about that huge smile from coach Bo after the game..that doesn't happen to often ☺
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:01:49 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
Does anyone know the condition of the injured player that was targeted by the cheap shot?  It looked pretty serious.
I read that he was X-rayed and released from the hospital.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
I watched the game via ESPN 3 and I noticed they have 3 levels of loge seating (probably totally filled), then the one end zone seating was about 75% filled. My guess; the actual attendance was somewhere between 7,000 to 9,000.

What ever YSU played a fantastic game against a very good running QB and offence. Way to go  YSU!!! 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
What a great morning to be a penguin fan!! I figured we would take what the defense gave us. Obviously their head coach underestimated Wells as a passer and the speed of our receivers. The Samford coach last week thought the exact opposite. Any final 8 team in this bracket has to be respected and we must guard against a letdown after a win of this magnitude and get as healthy as possible. Wofford is down to their 4th quarterback..all were running Qb's that were injured during the course of the season. I'm starting to believe the only team that can beat us is ourselves. How about that huge smile from coach Bo after the game..that doesn't happen to often ☺

Spot on point.  I came away with the same feeling.  The only team that can beat us right now is ourselves.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
Any more info on the injured player?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »
The injured player was Johnson Louigene DE - he is in concussion protocol - with him and Moss now questionable we are hurting at the DE position - kind of worried about that with the triple option coming into town.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
This game played out the way I thought it would.  They played man coverage because they felt the strength of their team was in the back end of their defense.  Wells picked them apart because play action worked and our receivers were simply faster than their defensive backs.  Wells just laid the ball out there for them to catch.  I didn't expect that we would be that much faster than them.  Their QB was a better running threat than I thought.  We simply couldn't stop them at one point in the 3rd quarter.  The defense played hard and they left it on the field. 

2 things: first, how many positive plays did we have out of the shotgun?  I counted ZERO but may have missed one.  We are simply better playing under center......period.  there was a remarkable difference using play action power offense.  That is what we are built for, don't tell me we are not.  I hate the stupid read option.  We played old school power football and won playing a pro set.

Second,  why don't we have any routes where the receivers come back toward the center of the field?  The post was open all day and we never had routs coming to the post  Why?   We always run routes where the player is moving away from the QB.  I just don't understand it.  Posts and slantsee are easier throws.

Wells didn't throw many over the middle. His worst throw of the day was one he threw right to the MLB in the middle of the field, which he was kind enough to drop. I don't like him throwing over the middle to be honest.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 09:27:44 AM »
Since nobody mentioned this, I think it is about time somebody should recognize that Shane Montgomery did an OUTSTANDING game of play calling vs Jax State.  Nice run on 1st down and they sneak into the box and BAM 70 yards, and we never trailed from there.  300+ passing and 200+ running and they never knew what was coming next.  For the Montgomery haters out there, be fair.  This was a great job of play calling and execution by the O!
Way to go Guins!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
Since nobody mentioned this, I think it is about time somebody should recognize that Shane Montgomery did an OUTSTANDING game of play calling vs Jax State.  Nice run on 1st down and they sneak into the box and BAM 70 yards, and we never trailed from there.  300+ passing and 200+ running and they never knew what was coming next.  For the Montgomery haters out there, be fair.  This was a great job of play calling and execution by the O!
Way to go Guins!

I agree 100%, It was great to see him count the number in the box and actually change to successful plays. He ate them up when they dropped the safeties down and played one on one with our outside receivers. Dramatic improvement on the drops as well.

With all those bombs on tape teams have to pick their poison, which is a tremendous difference from how we were when Hunter first came back. What great location on those deep balls.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:20 AM »
HappyPenguin, it is easier throwing to guys that are wide open, and Hunter hit them in stride!  Great call, great throw.  And with 8-9 guys in the box we still rushed for 200+ yards which says tons about the OL!  I was startled to see the stats of Wofford vs Samford.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing....30!  We "held" them to 315.  This is going to be a tough game, make no mistake.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!