Author Topic: In Show Selections  (Read 15533 times)

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: In Show Selections
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
Glad  ISUr in....birds going to make some noise in the post-season.
I agree..Do you think we should have been matched with the 6th or 7th seed with the potential 2nd round playoff game Nation?

They changed how they do bracketing now with confereces.

With NDSU and SDSU on the same side of the bracket this left any other MVFC teams against the other side of the bracket. Personally I would have rather had Citidal in 2nd round out of that group but to each their own.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 11:57:16 AM »
Missouri Valley has to get 4 in, question was would it be illinois state or UNI
With a 5-6 record UNI had no chance.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Missouri Valley has to get 4 in, question was would it be illinois state or UNI
With a 5-6 record UNI had no chance.

I dont disagree but crazy stuff has happened before

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »
Glad  ISUr in....birds going to make some noise in the post-season.
I agree..Do you think we should have been matched with the 6th or 7th seed with the potential 2nd round playoff game Nation?

We are well situated.  Sure STFU would've been an early Christmas present from the committee, but both -DSU's are on the other side of the bracket.  No complaints. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
Just read the notes from the committee & they made it clear of 2 things:

1. OOC was not really taken into account until seeds and especially bubble. So our bid meant everything on the home game. Keep scheduling for wins. Additionally. ILS was in almost exclusively because of the FBS game & Sam Houston was so low because they did NOT play a money game. On the slection show he indicated that the loss does not mean that much ...so we need to keep scheduling a money game until they change the rules.

2. The seeds are the seeds. They were made well in advance. They new the xDSU's were going to meet earlier than expected.

3. No TV games in round-1 or 2. Guys we need out.

Things I read into his interview ... 1 they were prepared to take additional MVFC clubs, but they were most impressed by the SoCon this year.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:35:55 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »
It's a joke when a 6-5 team makes the playoffs.  The regular season has become so devalued.  You now have 5-7 teams making bowl games, it's madness.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 01:31:30 PM »
SOS matters.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
It's a joke when a 6-5 team makes the playoffs.  The regular season has become so devalued.  You now have 5-7 teams making bowl games, it's madness.
I have no problem with a 6-5 team making it when there are 24 teams in the playoffs. There is certainly an argument as to whether 24 is too many, but it is what it is. With 24, ILSU is definitely one of the top 24 teams in the country IMHO. Look at the Sagarin SOS for our conference in all of D1... Better than the MAC East, all of the CUSA, MWC-West, and even the Sun Belt.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
They left 8-3 Fordham out. Why?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 11:09:46 PM »

Do you think it has to do with their choice to go scholarship? This year and last all Patriot schools went scholarship. I think this is the first year after the suspension is lifted.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 05:25:37 AM »

Do you think it has to do with their choice to go scholarship? This year and last all Patriot schools went scholarship. I think this is the first year after the suspension is lifted.

Strength of schedule.  Lehigh won the conference but their SOS mattered to the committee.  While they said it doesn't matter, wink, wink it does.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »
Of course SOS matters. That's why a 6-5 team that beat SDSU and a BIG team got in and an 8-3 team that beat Colgate and Gtown did not.  On the selection show, the chairman of the selection committee said directly and plainly that SOS matters.  How could it not?  It'd be like saying the winning % doesn't matter.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 08:41:39 AM »
It's crazy how this whole selection thing works,, A few year back YSU was 7-4 BUT!! left out of playoff's because "we lost 3 of our last 4". Now fast forward to 2016, the team we play Saturday has accomplished the same feat and are in??!  :)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
It's crazy how this whole selection thing works,, A few year back YSU was 7-4 BUT!! left out of playoff's because "we lost 3 of our last 4". Now fast forward to 2016, the team we play Saturday has accomplished the same feat and are in??!  :)
I was looking at the same thing.  Frankly IMO,  they did right by YSU and wrong by Samford.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
I think we all have to remember that we did not have 24-teams back then. Had that been so, Jon Heacock would still be your head coach right now & we would have probably 1 or 2 more titles.

The comments on schedule strength were pretty direct. SOS matters ...but only in certain situations. He all but said in the "weaker" conferences. OOC schedule is meaningless in the stronger conferences ...which is what I have been saying all along. My takeaway:

1. Schedule to get the wins (all DI ONLY requirement)
2. Start scheduling our MVFC bye-teams each year as part of your OOC schedule. We cannot be left out because we did not play a team above us. Could have gone that way with WIU if they had 1 more win.
3. Keep playing a money game.