Author Topic: HUNTER WELLS  (Read 23674 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
HUNTER WELLS
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
   I am hearing from someone very close to the football program that Hunter Wells may play, even start on Saturday.  Pelini swallowed his pride and went to Wells and asked him to re-consider leaving the program and come back.

Apparently after looking at the film. Pelini came to the conclusion that Davis is not the answer, and Mays is too young and not ready, and that Wells gives us our best chance to make a deep run into the playoffs.

I think it is up to Wells whether he wants to return for 4 games and the playoffs, with no guarantees.   He now has two years left to play elsewhere, if he returns he loses his junior year.

Should be interesting.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: HUNTER WELLS
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »

I think it is up to Wells whether he wants to return for 4 games and the playoffs, with no guarantees.   He now has two years left to play elsewhere, if he returns he loses his junior year.

Should be interesting.
Somewhere else had no guarantees either, and YSU offers a pretty good bet at a playoff position and wherever else may well not have that either.  He goes P5 like some here have suggested and there is a damn good chance he sits both seasons. 
Anybody watching the last 3 years and has a minimum amount of football sense knows Davis can't play, and anybody watching Mays few plays plus his high school highlights has no reason for optimism either.
I love wishful thinking and in sports it is great. I am rooting for the Tribe and I know Chicago is far better, but the coach has to be realistic.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »
The shoulder is magically better.  It's a miracle!  Wells drops on the depth chart, develops a shoulder injury, soon afterwards Bo says on the radio unequivocally "its fine", but despite not playing its again a problem, so much so he doesn't dress for games or travel with the team.  We know of Davis's normal knee MRI, Trent's radiographic findings of a displaced right clavicle fracture requiring surgery, but no word on the diagnostic studies or treatment on this player who is so limited he doesn't dress for months.  All I've heard is it clicks.  Sometimes mine does too.  My understanding is all season he is attending YSU on a full scholarship.  If he's truly injured and there's CIA-like secrecy about it, then fine, I wish him a full recovery.  If he "opted out" and decided he could not compete with Trent and Ricky, decided not to contribute to the team, and also decided to redshirt in anticipation of a transfer, then that's poor form.

All of that aside, what kind of magical thinking would lead one to conclude that this year will be better than last year?  Last week we had 6 sacks and 7 TFLs, and we're going with an immobile QB with a poor passing efficiency? 

It is so preposterous that I don't believe this rumor is true.  P5? Is that supposed to be serious?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »
All I can say is that there the coaches have some sanity.  Looks to be true.  WOW!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
If this does happen I think its fair to say that this was handled very poorly. When are they expecting to add a QB that fits the scheme they want to run?

Anyway, does anyone know who is running first team offense in practice?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:45:11 PM »
its true. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
"I thank God for Bo giving him a chance, it's a shame it only lasted 5 quarters before he got hurt."

I what you say is true and I have questions why nobody, including the university has any of this story, then somebody should seriously consider having charges of abuse and criminal neglect filed against Bo, and certainly not "thank God for Bo" 

Let's all try to get behind Hunter and support this team.

That much I can agree with. 
Does anybody have any confirmation of this many weeks old concussion story?  I find it hard to believe in this day and age a coach and medical staff held a player out for 1 game and then put him back out with clear concussion systems.  The South Dakota game was clearly Ricky's best.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:51:14 PM »
The shoulder is magically better.  It's a miracle!  Wells drops on the depth chart, develops a shoulder injury, soon afterwards Bo says on the radio unequivocally "its fine", but despite not playing its again a problem, so much so he doesn't dress for games or travel with the team.  We know of Davis's normal knee MRI, Trent's radiographic findings of a displaced right clavicle fracture requiring surgery, but no word on the diagnostic studies or treatment on this player who is so limited he doesn't dress for months.  All I've heard is it clicks.  Sometimes mine does too.  My understanding is all season he is attending YSU on a full scholarship.  If he's truly injured and there's CIA-like secrecy about it, then fine, I wish him a full recovery.  If he "opted out" and decided he could not compete with Trent and Ricky, decided not to contribute to the team, and also decided to redshirt in anticipation of a transfer, then that's poor form.

All of that aside, what kind of magical thinking would lead one to conclude that this year will be better than last year?  Last week we had 6 sacks and 7 TFLs, and we're going with an immobile QB with a poor passing efficiency? 

It is so preposterous that I don't believe this rumor is true.  P5? Is that supposed to be serious?

Nation. Don't blame the guy for doing what is best for himself. With this new opportunity he now must see this as the best opportunity. He practiced ever day all summer and fall with these guys , knowing full-well he was not the starter; he is now and always has been a class-act. Ricky Davis would be the first one to tell you so. Ricky is another class act. Look at all he has done for this team over the last couple of years. Mays is waiting for his time and now has a "taste". If this is true. then I support it. If not, I support that decision as well.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
1AA somebody posted a note saying Ricky Davis was still suffering from a concussion in the WVU game.  It has now been taken down.  By you or one of your cohorts or the poster?  My response looks stupid without that post. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »
Davis received his concussion in the WVU game, about the time the tide turned (when he was leading our team to a lead over a currently undefeated #9/#10).  He sat out the following week, but started for USD.  I said on this forum that concussions can take months to recover from.  He's a true team player with guts who sacrifices himself for the team, and I suspect he told the team physician and the HC that he was fine when he likely was not.  His passing has not been the same since.  He had no interceptions before or during WVU, and five since.

YSU at ISUb 2015:

ISUb entered the game 4-6/2-5.  Only two Valley times finished the season with a worse record.

YSU lost 24-27

YSU with Wells at QB:  2 passing first downs all game, minus 6 yards rushing, 74 yards passing, 8/16.

YSU as a team: TOP 25:08, two third down conversions all game (17%).

"Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them."

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
If this is true, I can only hope Hunter is able to immediately produce after not playing in a game setting all season.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 06:33:04 PM »
YSU lost 24-27

Please post scores the proper way with the winning score larger than the losing score.  ;)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »
In Bo's post game conference he said there was a real sense of urgency with the offense and it was his job as the head coach to raise the urgency and get it fixed..Those are strong words.. The latest turn of events are the best thing that could happen for this program for a potential playoff berth and a run for a national title
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:36:04 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
So if Davis lied to his coaches about having a concussion isn't that kinda hurting the team.  Sometimes being a leader you have to do the right thing.  I am not  giving him a mulligan for that or for any injury.  Wells got his head beat in at Pitt didn't he. If I as a coach base everything on performance and execution Ricky needs to be benched.  51% is not getting it done.  Since we started this experiment our offense scores 1 less TD a game.  We saw this with Dante Nania.  Time to move on and let's hope Wells can do it.
A Penguin for life!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
I have no clue how valid this report is, but I do think the two QB system worked pretty good vs NDSU last year. Not advocating it as a long term solution, but could be something that the coaching staff considers this week.