Author Topic: Post- game Thoughts Jacks 24-10 over the Penguins.  (Read 21312 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Post- game Thoughts Jacks 24-10 over the Penguins.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
I supported putting Davis in there as long as he was allowed to throw the ball. Now that has been done, I am convinced he is not the solution.

Davis and Mays both looked to make a play in the clutch. The difference is that Mays looked to make the play with his teammates and Davis looked to make the play by himself with the run.

This looking to run first mentality is not helping us. The other teams have figured it out. He either was not able to make the needed yardage or was getting drilled.

Since he was so focused on the run, he couldn't find or hit the open receivers due to lack of focus on the pass.

Put either Mays or Wells (if he is still available) back in.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
I supported putting Davis in there as long as he was allowed to throw the ball. Now that has been done, I am convinced he is not the solution.

Davis and Mays both looked to make a play in the clutch. The difference is that Mays looked to make the play with his teammates and Davis looked to make the play by himself with the run.

This looking to run first mentality is not helping us. The other teams have figured it out. He either was not able to make the needed yardage or was getting drilled.

Since he was so focused on the run, he couldn't find or hit the open receivers due to lack of focus on the pass.

Put either Mays or Wells (if he is still available) back in.

One thing different in this game was we went to the pass, but the QB couldn't read the defense or pick his 2nd and 3rd in his progression.  That killed us.  As soon as he saw his first read covered, he ran.

I get that they are am elite team, but we could be too.  We have an elite defense, elite players on offense, but not am elite QB or coach.  The coaches should have had him prepared way better.  Davis shouldn't be regressing he should be improving.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:14:30 PM by penguinpower »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 09:01:54 PM »
Kind of off the subject, but U.N.I. made the switch at quarterback this week and threw for 418 on 25 of 33 attempts in a 61-7 win over Missouri St.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
  YSU will finish at least 2-2, and likely 3-1, and be a playoff team.  But the quarterback situation needs to be addressed in the off season.  If Pelini is determined to have a running quarterback, we need to find one quickly.  All the quarterbacks on our roster were recruited by Wolford and Montgomery, who were looking for  a completely different style that Pelini is wanting to play.

It is very evident that Hunter Wells is a much better passer than anyone we have, that is so clear.  But that ship has sailed, for many, many reasons Pelini decided long ago to part ways with Wells.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »
Kind of off the subject, but U.N.I. made the switch at quarterback this week and threw for 418 on 25 of 33 attempts in a 61-7 win over Missouri St.

Very important post Fever. If you include that will make almost 1/2 of the QB's in the conference are drop-back passers.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »

Very important post Fever. If you include that will make almost 1/2 of the QB's in the conference are drop-back passers.
I'm just glad they didn't start that kid against us with a full week of preparation..Bailey was just putting his head down and taking off after his first read

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »
The UNI guy that started against us was TERRIBLE, kind of like Davis.  The sub had a scary good arm (kind of like Wells) and had the last play of the game go incomplete in our endzone, which would have been an incredable comeback win.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »
No need to panic.  The bunnies are a very good team.  They beat the 5 time defending champs on the road last week, and gave the Guins their worst loss of the season last year.  Davis and / or Mays will have to improve to make a deep playoff run, but there is still 4 games left for them to work on that.

How about the job SDSU did on Derek Rivers.    No sacks or tackles after registering 2 sacks and 5 tackles against them last year.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
    If Pelini is determined to have a running quarterback, we need to find one quickly.  All the quarterbacks on our roster were recruited by Wolford and Montgomery, who were looking for  a completely different style that Pelini is wanting to play.

I had no idea Wolford recruited Hosick? 
Where are all the guys on this blog who have been telling me from spring practice on how great Davis and Mays were as QB and throwing the ball?  Hate to say..............I told you so, but...........

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »
    If Pelini is determined to have a running quarterback, we need to find one quickly.  All the quarterbacks on our roster were recruited by Wolford and Montgomery, who were looking for  a completely different style that Pelini is wanting to play.

Where are all the guys on this blog who have been telling me from spring practice on how great Davis and Mays were as QB and throwing the ball?  Hate to say..............I told you so, but...........

I still think Mays can be an outstanding QB, but the kids is not much more than "green". I gained even more respect for his ability when I saw his stride; something I had never see until the UNI game. Honestly I was not in favor of Davis, but gained respect for him this season as well. However, we are expecting veteran poise and finesse from a new QB and this is just not going to happen with either of these guys.

I agree SDSU is a good team, but we had the makings of one here as well. We do owe Bo a chance to do whatever he wants. If he is rebuilding the team, then we have to wait. These are things everyone has to do when they change coaches; this would include any change at coordinator. As much as I am upset by our balance in defense, I accept that coach Carl is really only DC this season. I also accept that coach Shane has to do what he is told, but I do think he can produce stats ...including points. Which is far from saying we win the SDSU game with even Dan Marino dropping back; but it was a frustrating loss. I also accept the fact that Mays went in when the game was over and he saw the #2's. However, there were some #1's and he did see #1's against UNI. I am going to put my faith in our staff and see what comes out of it.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

I still think Mays can be an outstanding QB, but the kids is not much more than "green". I gained even more respect for his ability when I saw his stride; something I had never see until the UNI game. Honestly I was not in favor of Davis, but gained respect for him this season as well. However, we are expecting veteran poise and finesse from a new QB and this is just not going to happen with either of these guys.

I agree SDSU is a good team, but we had the makings of one here as well. We do owe Bo a chance to do whatever he wants. If he is rebuilding the team, then we have to wait. These are things everyone has to do when they change coaches; this would include any change at coordinator. As much as I am upset by our balance in defense, I accept that coach Carl is really only DC this season. I also accept that coach Shane has to do what he is told, but I do think he can produce stats ...including points. Which is far from saying we win the SDSU game with even Dan Marino dropping back; but it was a frustrating loss. I also accept the fact that Mays went in when the game was over and he saw the #2's. However, there were some #1's and he did see #1's against UNI. I am going to put my faith in our staff and see what comes out of it.

I don't think we can use "green" as an excuse, Mays and Davis have been on our roster as long or longer than SDSU's Christion.

He looks like the best offensive player on a team that's probably the favorite to win the NC. True Soph.

Even if Monty was "told" to use a running QB, which I'm not sure of, why didn't he do that last year? He had all offseason and fall to prepare for this if it was his directive. You can check the stats, especially in the MVFC games, to see how well he accomplished his task.

If any of us here did that poorly at our jobs for over a year I don't think we would still have them.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »
I've said much of this before, but bare with me.
One, our vision is short sighted.  We compare Davis' running to Wells.  Obviously he is better, but not compared to top running QB's in the MVFC.
Watch the Mays high school highlight film on HUDL http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1215093/5721c10d0428ae20e4b9a265
Look at how slow his decision making process is, how inferior the competition is, and how may of his passes are those big loopy tosses to wide open receivers that almost look like punts.  I want these kids to succeed, but frankly it looks to me like it's Trent next year and get recruiting this winter.
This "green" stuff is excusses for "can't play at this level."  The kid for UNI steps in and goes nuts.  Good grief, he almost beat us!  Last year Wentz goes down for NDSU and Stick steps in and does a great job.  Yes he had a good team, but HE beat us in the 4th quarter last year.  They can play, our guys a good kids, giving us their all, and just don't have it. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »

I don't think we can use "green" as an excuse, Mays and Davis have been on our roster as long or longer than SDSU's Christion.

He looks like the best offensive player on a team that's probably the favorite to win the NC. True Soph.

Even if Monty was "told" to use a running QB, which I'm not sure of, why didn't he do that last year? He had all offseason and fall to prepare for this if it was his directive. You can check the stats, especially in the MVFC games, to see how well he accomplished his task.

If any of us here did that poorly at our jobs for over a year I don't think we would still have them.

I do not think that you can say that Happy. Mays is as "Green" as it getsl lookin for anything more than some consistency and growth should not be an expectation, but a hope. Davis is is in his first year with the program as a starter. Christion was nothing special to me, he took the majority of the snaps in 8-games last year for SDSU ...6 as the starter. He is system QB, just like ours. However, SDSU is playing their system ...YSU is not. As to coach M, I have have seen what he can do, as have you. For 5 (maybe 6) years he was the only bright-spot this team had (as a coach). Our offense was the best in the conference, averaging almost 35-points a game and our defense was giving up more. Yet everyone complained because it was not "smashmouth". Then all of the sudden we need a more mobile QB and we
throw the baby out with the bath water". (Wells and our offensive scheme).

I do have some growing doubts about coach Carm, but then again coach Shane is very active with the lines as well. This line oline is not performing. However, we do have 3 RB's and no need for a running QB and as I have said before ...I do not have the patience to let a new system come into it's own on offense. This is not last year where we had only Jody. I think the world of coach Shane and I think the community thinks the world of coach Bo; let's hope the two of them figure this out. So in the interest of fairness I will let the team do what they needs to do, but things look kind of obvious.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 10:31:16 AM »
We lose too much to hope for the post-season next year...this year is it. Go Guins it sounds like you are in favor of the running QB, or just a different qb?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:02:08 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 12:23:25 AM »
If I could add on e more thing, I think the back-handed comment (by Bo) about the defense playing well, then when the media gave him some funny looks, changing it to "well enough to win" made me question his ability for the first time. We were beat deep all night and almost lost the UNI game with the terrible coverage on the last 2-thows. Yes, a hail-Mary is a hail Mary ...but the pass prior to that was into perfect zone coverage and we failed miserably.

I think we will get away with bringing our safeties in and crowding this week, but not against NDSU, or most ANYONE in the post-season. We have talent and problems on both sides and special teams really laid an egg this past week. Coverage was bad and SDSU got to Schuler far too easily. Let's stop playing favorites and get to the promise land.