Author Topic: Northern Iowa  (Read 36081 times)

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Iowa
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
Any word on Townsend? He was really grabbing that ankle.
I will find out but saw that he made a nice return later after getting knocked out of the game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
thanks David, was he the one with the ankle? Maybe I have the wrong person, as it looked pretty bad when he was coming off.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
thanks David, was he the one with the ankle? Maybe I have the wrong person, as it looked pretty bad when he was coming off.
I think it was Townsend coming off with the really bad looking ankle, skipping with -0- weight on the bad leg.  Then shortly after he had another terrific return setting up with winning TB (after the 4 roughing calls!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2016, 04:25:55 PM »
We had a drive (with our 3rd string QB no less) lasting 11:40, starting at the YSU14, and running 22 plays, driving   86 yards for a TD.  In case you are wondering like I was if that was the longest drive in college FB history, it wasn't, but it wasn't far off.

From Wikipedia:

The 2004 Emerald Bowl was a post-season college football bowl game between the New Mexico Lobos and the Navy Midshipmen on December 30, 2004 at SBC Park in San Francisco, California, United States. The game, which Navy won with a final score of 34–19, was highlighted by a 26-play drive from the Midshipmen that took up almost 15 minutes of game time and set the record for the longest drive in a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) college football game.

In the NFL, the longest drive (by time) was by the Tennessee Oilers on 11/27/1997 against the Dallas Cowboys - the drive lasted 13:27, and they ran 21 plays to go 90 yards, and the drive resulted in a FG.  There were two other drives in NFL history lasting 22 plays, but consumed less time.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2016, 04:39:20 PM »
Great post Nation. Man ...all that time for an FG ...it almost sounds like a joke.

When you are like we did out of a spread, it is all on your 5-down and the RB. Hats off to them once again. We had to be just as tired. Did you hear Savon in the press conference? He said that he could barely keep his arm up during the locker room fight song.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
We had a drive (with our 3rd string QB no less) lasting 11:40, starting at the YSU14, and running 22 plays, driving   86 yards for a TD.  In case you are wondering like I was if that was the longest drive in college FB history, it wasn't, but it wasn't far off.

Great drive, and the final one too, 10 straight running plays for winning TD! 43 second half rushes to their 31 for the whole game.
And in fairness, I do want to point out:
Davis, Hosick, Wells, Mays = 4th string QB..

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »

Great drive, and the final one too, 10 straight running plays for winning TD! 43 second half rushes to their 31 for the whole game.

I don't think Wells is any string.  He was wearing street clothes as I understand.  My guess is he doesn't want to burn a year of eligibility, will red shirt this year, and transfer after this season.

After watching Mays, I feel good about the QB situation for years to come.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »

I don't think Wells is any string.  He was wearing street clothes as I understand.  My guess is he doesn't want to burn a year of eligibility, will red shirt this year, and transfer after this season.

After watching Mays, I feel good about the QB situation for years to come

Wells still has a shoulder injury from the off season. I don't feel good about the QB situation, sorry. Need to see more than just handing the ball off.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »

[/quote]

After watching Mays, I feel good about the QB situation for years to come.
[/quote]

Maybe on Wells, and Mays hung in and played tough, but he didn't show anything as a passer and little as a runner.  Not sure what you were watching Saturday, but QB play was awful ALL NIGHT.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »

Great point, Wells had been running the scout team up until this should "click" at the beginning of the week. So how lucky were we that Mays was running scout this past week? He said that he normally will see 50% of the 2nd-team reps ...nice to know that coach Shane keeps him so involved. I watched Mays in camp last year and Monty would yell over to him every play and ask him what we are running, or something else related to the previous play or the next.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2016, 05:48:50 PM »

After watching Mays, I feel good about the QB situation for years to come

Wells still has a shoulder injury from the off season. I don't feel good about the QB situation, sorry. Need to see more than just handing the ball off.

Mays showed poise, and with only one exception he never fumbled a snap or hand-off, and was our best QB of the night:

PASSING   C-A   YDS   LG   TD   INT
Nathan Mays   3-6   25   11   0   1
Ricky Davis   2-7   3   4   0   1
Trent Hosick   0-1   0   0   0   1

Mays had a better night than UNI starter Bailey who went 3/10.

Yeah, I agree he didn't rack up passing yardage, but he did what he needed to get the job done.  I don't get the crazy INT, but overall I'm impressed.

If/when he plays during junk time this season, I hope he takes some shots downfield instead of just burning clock.  Not letting #12 pass last season has had a negative impact this season, IMO.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »
I have no idea what games you guys are attending, but at the YSU games our QB play this year is terrible.  NONE OF THE 3 HAS DONE MUCH.  Saturday was all OL and D.  NONE of the 3 QBs did squat. (unless you count INT's)  UNI had more yards on INT RETURNS than we had in passing yards!!  The Mays story is a good story, and everybody, including me, wants him to be good, but you saw NOTHING from him in terms of QB play that would be encouraging.  One low and outside pass for a 1st down in the 22 play drive and some of you guys write like New England should trade Brady for his draft rights?
Truthfully if we play this Saturday like we did last Saturday, it could be 24-3 or something.  Remember, for all the drive and rushing effort, we were less than 4 yards a carry for the game, and 28 yards passing.  You won't beat S or N DSU without a QB.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »
I agree Go Guins..The protection has been good and the receiver's have been getting open. When we make a good read were not accurate. If we continue to struggle like this in the passing game defense's will find creative ways to put a end to those long sustained drives
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:47:55 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »
Good points both. Although I will say that a great deal of that QB play belongs on the oline. Granted they have been getting stacked, which is why we have been successful running out of the spread. Our oline (and game) is predicated on the run and not pass protection.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:39 PM »
I agree Go Guins..The protection has been good and the receiver's have been getting open. When we make a good read were not accurate. If we continue to struggle like this in the passing game defense's will find creative ways to put a end to those long sustained drives
They won't have to be too creative.  We only averaged 3.7 per rush against UNI and worse on pass plays, so you take a safety and put him in the box and shadow the QB as stop the read options and we're as good as toast.  Unless you fine a way to hit a TE up the seam a couple times and make them play straight up, they've got us. Something we have done about -0- all season.