Author Topic: Northern Iowa  (Read 35897 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Northern Iowa
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:40 PM »
It has been three years since we have seen these guys.  Their success over an extended period of time (at least until December :P) was based upon a strong defense and power football with high quality at running back, receiver, and quarterback.  Now it is dangerous and stupid to draw definitive conclusions from one game, but watching the replay of their South Dakota game on ESPN3 I saw none of these elements.  Incredibly, they now also run the spread.  Their running backs and receivers are competent but not the same caliber they we had faced in the past.  Their quarterback is very quick and dangerous when he gets some space but rather pedestrian while in the pocket.  And their defense gave up numerous big plays to a South Dakota offense that was dormant against us until the last seven minutes.

Of course, all of this means nothing if we don't play up to our capabilities.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Iowa
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
Time to win this game and show we are a for real player in FCS and not a weenie who only can win games in september.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
That's rather surprising to hear about all the changes at UNI. Sounds like a much better match up for us. I wonder why the change in philosophy?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
Lots of frustration among UNI fans, who are running out of patience with Farley.  This game may play out like the ISUr game (low scoring battle for field position).  UNI and YSU are the only two MVFC Ds to not allow a rushing TD.  Aaron Bailey is a dual threat QB that, like Streveler of ISUr, we need to contain. They are 2-3/1-1 but have a much stronger SOS and a P5 win.  Outside of WVU, this will be our biggest challenge so far.  Speaking of P5 wins, its interesting to see how ISUr and UNI collectively are 1-4 in the MVFC and both beat P5 teams.  The MVFC is a beast. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
I honestly feel like our conference is > than the MAC. People could disagree all they want, but I bet if everyone in our conference played two OOC games against MAC schools, the MVFC would probably have the majority of wins. Thats with their extra scholarships  ;D

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:59:51 PM »
It really doesn't matter if we are better than the MAC.  We will always be the little sisters of the poor.  MAC in theory are the big boys and get to play the big boys for lots of$$$.  Nobody cares come November/December how we stack up.  This is like the Horizon league argument when Butler was in.  They left and we haven't done nothing since.  If the Bison would leave same drop off. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 04:06:00 AM »
Lets focus on the upcoming game then. I think the Guins make a statement with a win over UNI.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:03:02 AM »
UNI is coming into this game pissed off with their backs against the wall.  Our running offense plays right into. What they are built to stop......the run.  They beat the hell out of South Dakota in every statistical category but gave up deep passes to them (like we did).  UNI also has not allowed a rushing TD this year.

I see this as a low scoring game and very close at the end.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »
UNI is coming into this game pissed off with their backs against the wall.  Our running offense plays right into. What they are built to stop......the run.  They beat the hell out of South Dakota in every statistical category but gave up deep passes to them (like we did).  UNI also has not allowed a rushing TD this year.

I see this as a low scoring game and very close at the end.

Wrong. They've allowed 2. YSU is the only FCS school to not allow a rushing TD so far this year.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
I read an article that stated otherwise.  I will try to find it.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »
I feel this game will play out like Illinois st. Panthers will cheat lbs and safety's in the box to force dare us to throw. It will come down to Ricky making good decisions on the read and passing game.  We need to gameplan our offense to isolate Webb into a mismatch.  Defense will be geared up to stop their QB as well.  Our CB's need their A game as we will have out on an island a lot trying to stop their qb.  We need to move the sticks and control time of possession and field position.  It's about D, special teams and grinding it out to get to the 4 qtr.  We need to lean on our big old line then and pound it to a victory.  Due to our red zone troubles. I see lots of Fgs.  YSU 22-20.  Kennedy 5 fgs .
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:58 AM »

[/quote]

Wrong. They've allowed 2. YSU is the only FCS school to not allow a rushing TD so far this year.
[/quote]

Correct. 
UNI ranks 11th in rush D, YSU 13th 95 ypg vs 97 ypg so not much to diff.
YSU 35 th in pass defense 194 ypg (last year #1 I think) UNI is 84th in pass D at 240 ypg
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »
Ohio State and YSU are the only 2 schools (FBS or FCS) to not allow a rushing TD. FYI ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »
Ohio State and YSU are the only 2 schools (FBS or FCS) to not allow a rushing TD. FYI ;)
Interesting, and they both have red as a primary color.  I know there was a lot of similarities!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 12:36:47 PM »
They beat the hell out of South Dakota in every statistical category but gave up deep passes to them (like we did).  UNI also has not allowed a rushing TD this year.

They dominated the time of possession and first downs, but USD outgained them 385-378 and had 5 sacks to 0 for UNI.  In addition to the big pass plays, Streveler had a 69 yard TD run and Bouma ripped off a 38 yard run.  I look for Webb and Bailey to hit some big plays this Saturday.