YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Post-Game Thoughts

(1/4) > >>

penguinpower:
Did anyone notice that when we went under center with a FB that the OL had more leverage and we moved the ball way better?  I think we should abandon about 95% of the sissified spread and smash teams with A Gap power plays and play action.  They had no answer for those plays.  Watch the lime play on the QB sneaks etc.  We get more yard when we play under center vs giving the ball to a guy that is 5 yards deep in the backfield.  I think we are better off. Handing the ball off in a traditional I-formation.  We moved the ball far more effectively and it opened up play action passes that Ricky can hit.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
I think we would have a better chance of throwing to our tight ends if Ricky was under center with the play-action. We still ran for close to 300 yards with a 5.3 average with over 50 carries and ran clock. Like Montgomery's playbook or not it is wide and keeps teams guessing

Wick250:
To amplify the point that Power made, consider the science of all this.  With the quarterback under center, the running back starts forward immediately at the snap.  He hits the line in just over a second, I would guess.  Using the spread, the running back must remain stationary until the quarterback receives the ball.  He hits the line in well over two seconds after the snap, I would guess.  So trying to attack the middle of a defense by running out of a spread would require the linemen to hold their blocks at least TWICE as long. 

Of course, we should have pistol and shotgun plays available.  We are not going to fool anybody with the quarterback under center on 3rd and nine.  But if running is the staple of our offense, as it clearly is this season, using the spread as our basic formation makes no sense.

IAA Fan:
Well Power and Wick...NDSU does it and no one stops them. They really have no more talent than anyone else. However, they spent years developing that offense under their former coaches and promoted a coach that is willing to not leave his own mark on the team's playing-style history. For YSU, I am not willing to wait and take time for the change back. Also our defense would surely suffer against the spread teams we would face.

Everyone thinks we were smash-mouth under Tressel, but honestly, he almost lost his job when we were smash-mouth (early career). It was not until we had the option/spread addition (circa 1989-90) that we began our streak. The offense under Montgomery (with Wells and/or Hess) is very similar to our 1992 team with Cochran taking snaps. Then we went back to the pro-set in 1996-97, our first-year in the GFC and never won the conference and had more-limited post-season success using it. I hate to bring this up again, but the 1999 title-game embarrassment, came at the hands of an option club. Heacock had some incredibly good teams and his smash-mouth had just above average success.

YSUGO:
The Bisons really don't have any more talent than everybody else Really.  You need talent and size and speed. They have all 3.  They know what to Recruit for their schemes.  They have a true identity and get good coached football smart players.  We are still searching for that identity.  We need a balanced offense period.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version