YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Post-Game Thoughts

<< < (2/4) > >>

IAA Fan:
Sorry Go. I meant to say than many other teams. Obviously they are more talented than most teams at the FCS-level. Like YSU back in the glory days ...we did not have the top players in the nation at any position (except maybe kicker for a while), but we sure had the best team.

Keep this in mind though. We handled NDSU for 3-quarters last year and we were not a good football team. Why? Becuase we game-planned for them and match-up well against them. Imagine a better team than YSU with the same O & D game plan;  would you say they will win? I would. NDSU has the success they do because no team (outside of the MVFC) spends any time game-planning for them aside from the week of the game. Teams in the MVFC look to beat NDSU specifically during camp, but I have yet to see one coach willing to change their basic playing style in order to accomplish this. Power and Wick are suggesting that we consider doing just that. It has merit, I guess I would vote "no", but it is something to consider.

YSUGO:
👍👍👍👍

penguinpower:
If we are already taking snaps from under center with a FB isn't it already part of the offense?  I say use it much more.  Did everyone else see what I am observing?

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on October 09, 2016, 12:10:51 PM ---To amplify the point that Power made, consider the science of all this.  With the quarterback under center, the running back starts forward immediately at the snap.  He hits the line in just over a second, I would guess.  Using the spread, the running back must remain stationary until the quarterback receives the ball.  He hits the line in well over two seconds after the snap, I would guess.  So trying to attack the middle of a defense by running out of a spread would require the linemen to hold their blocks at least TWICE as long. 

Of course, we should have pistol and shotgun plays available.  We are not going to fool anybody with the quarterback under center on 3rd and nine.  But if running is the staple of our offense, as it clearly is this season, using the spread as our basic formation makes no sense.

--- End quote ---

Great analysis.  I was simply reporting what I saw and this makes sense.

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on October 09, 2016, 03:18:16 PM ---The Bisons really don't have any more talent than everybody else Really.  You need talent and size and speed. They have all 3.  They know what to Recruit for their schemes.  They have a true identity and get good coached football smart players.  We are still searching for that identity.  We need a balanced offense period.

--- End quote ---
Amen to your "Really"  Despite that fact that they are "done" (per 1AA) they clearly have the deepest and most talented roster in 1AA football.  In fact the deepest and most talented EVER!
(BTW, the plural of bison is bison)  Last year there was a NDSU fan a row behind and to my right and so I called them the "buffalos" all through the game and got a dirty look every time.  Unfortunately it was more fun when we were ahead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version