Author Topic: Let Ricky throw  (Read 7608 times)

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Let Ricky throw
« on: October 01, 2016, 05:48:44 PM »
With SD crowding the line of scrimmage. Ricky has all day to throw when given the opportunity but for some reason the coaches are calling a very conservative game. Take what the defense is giving you.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Let Ricky throw
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
It will be very interesting to see how the rest of the conference plays him

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:36:59 AM »
It will be very interesting to see how the rest of the conference plays him

I think the rest of the conference will play him by stacking the box and forcing him to throw the ball. Watching the 3 games he played in I've noticed;

YSU's "O" coordinator like to run him in excess. His speed is average at best so not a huge threat to take it to the house. Handy running skills for the 8-15 yard run for a 1st down.

Opposing "D" coordinators will want to punish him when he takes off. Watching film they'll notice he'll tend to throw high after a few hits. YSU's receiving corps have hands of stone or don't want to take the hits?!?! The huge TE's are not utilized as well as they should be so they won't worry about them just to block on short downs for a run  :o

Bottom line: Force the passing game and take their chances against YSU.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:38:07 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
I hope opposing defenses do exactly what you say, stacking the box. I think if they pass with him on first down instead of waiting till 3rd down it will only open up the running game. I also agree that they need to use the TE's more

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
I agree Ice, but I will say that Ricky had some consistency issues on Saturday ...I would think this played a large roll in running more. Also, Monty did notice USD DE's playing in the flat and the line stacking, so he brought in McCaster (as opposed to Webb) to relieve Ruiz (almost too late in my opinion). I suspect that every opposing DC is going to guard the flat against Montgomery's O ...that is where he likes to run those dump passes to TE's and RB's. We need to add some slant pattern passes into the mix. However if we can get the balance that we need on the ground, I feel better doing that.

While it is on my mind, a message to the fans: Hunter, Ricky and Trent knows how much time is on the clock. Ricky is intentionally using the play clock, this has been a Montgomery tradition since he got here. Both Clemson and Louisville were doing it Saturday night. Stop yelling at the guy ...he knows what he is doing. He is going to make a few mistakes in the timing, that is fine until he gets more experience,  I can live with it.

Offline Grapestreet

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »
I agree with you IAA.......Mccaster should have been in rotation from the start......He has proven that.....but give Ricky and Monty their props to......... Time will tell

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
I agree Ice, but I will say that Ricky had some consistency issues on Saturday ...I would think this played a large roll in running more. Also, Monty did notice USD DE's playing in the flat and the line stacking, so he brought in McCaster (as opposed to Webb) to relieve Ruiz (almost too late in my opinion). I suspect that every opposing DC is going to guard the flat against Montgomery's O ...that is where he likes to run those dump passes to TE's and RB's. We need to add some slant pattern passes into the mix. However if we can get the balance that we need on the ground, I feel better doing that.

While it is on my mind, a message to the fans: Hunter, Ricky and Trent knows how much time is on the clock. Ricky is intentionally using the play clock, this has been a Montgomery tradition since he got here. Both Clemson and Louisville were doing it Saturday night. Stop yelling at the guy ...he knows what he is doing. He is going to make a few mistakes in the timing, that is fine until he gets more experience,  I can live with it.
Ricky's consistency played no role in how much we ran the ball Saturday. He was 10 of 12 passing in the first half and we ran the ball 26 times. He was 5 of 11 in the second half and we ran it only 30 times. I think the game situations played a role in when we ran and when we passed. He had a 65% completion percentage for the game, 15/23. Not the best, but pretty consistent. If Monty is truly your friend, ask him what he thought of his performance, you may be surprised. We got our hands full this week, Go Guins.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
Mr. Davis I hope you are right about Ricky.  I feel he has the heart.  Hopefully he will have the skills....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
I just don't want him running so much.

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 09:27:01 PM »
Mr. Davis I hope you are right about Ricky.  I feel he has the heart.  Hopefully he will have the skills....
I just listed the game stats off the YSU website. What do you hope I'm right about?

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »
I just don't want him running so much.
I understand. Here is his thoughts on it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54AkH91VuNo
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:14:23 PM by mayor »