Author Topic: Guins vs. Coyotes  (Read 35725 times)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Guins vs. Coyotes
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2016, 12:19:20 AM »
absolute crap power and you know it. You are shown proof (not analysis. save that for the a$$holes on ESPN) and you just want to be a hater. Make that a blind hater. About as blind as our corner who actually turned his head twice today!

Our offensive play-calling mowed USD over today and the PLAYERS could not punch it in the end-zone.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:29:45 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2016, 12:50:14 AM »
IAA Fan,

You have a unique world view, and you probably do not realize what you just did by listing the summary of YSU possessions in this game.  You actually delivered a harsher critique of Montgomery than anything that Nation or Power ever posted.  The primary responsibility for an oc is to score points.  450 yards and only 23 points represents a shocking shortcoming.  You are a great YSU fan.  But there are some things that you just cannot see.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2016, 01:03:38 AM »
IAA Fan,

You have a unique world view, and you probably do not realize what you just did by listing the summary of YSU possessions in this game.  You actually delivered a harsher critique of Montgomery than anything that Nation or Power ever posted.  The primary responsibility for an oc is to score points.  450 yards and only 23 points represents a shocking shortcoming.  You are a great YSU fan.  But there are some things that you just cannot see.

Wick,  you and I are in total agreement.  The legacy of Montgomery is we don't score in the second half.  To my point, once again we score only 3 points.  We run our QB recovering from a concussion and call bad plays with 3 minutes left in the game?  Why would you throw it?  They stacked the box all night, it wouldn't have made much of a difference if we ran the ball.  We played into their hands but managed to win.  I am not a hater, I love my Penguins, but I expect the best, and I know when we have a championship team on our hands.  Right now it doesn't appear that way, but we have the talent and we are not playing well enough to win it all.  That problem lies with coaching.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:53:28 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2016, 02:00:43 AM »
absolute crap power and you know it. You are shown proof (not analysis. save that for the a$$holes on ESPN) and you just want to be a hater. Make that a blind hater. About as blind as our corner who actually turned his head twice today!

Our offensive play-calling mowed USD over today and the PLAYERS could not punch it in the end-zone.

The defense wasn't the greatest problem.  They didn't play well in the secondary, but the offense couldn't score on the goal line against a team that was outmatched?  Total BS.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:22:14 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2016, 08:44:51 AM »
I-AA fan, you are unbelievable. Held an offense that was averaging almost 40 points to 20 and that was averaging 400+ yards to 2 something. Beat the crap out of their running QB. Let them score a late TD when the game was out of hand already. You and Montgomery are best buds, we get it. But he is a joke of a play caller. Especially in the 2nd half. Makes no adjustments and will cost us more games in the 2nd half. You are all alone on this subject, sad.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
Honestly not sure what to think with Ricky running the ball so much after coming off the injury. I think part of it is we don't have the larger backs to do so and it opens up more for him in the passing game. The question is what are we going to do against the good defenses in our conference? I watched SDSU's route of WIU and Qb Taryn Christion only had to run 5 times when protection broke down around him. He let all of his big backs do the dirty work and passed for 5 Td's with 4 of them going for long routes to the TE's. Even though the Redbirds are 2-3 they still have a very solid defense..this is a must win IMO for both teams this Saturday..Their offense is really hurting this year not having to run/pass option like they did in the past
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:41:59 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 09:49:27 AM »
But.....but....Roethlisberger......lol

I'll just say this regarding the OC...because of his decisions we did not make the playoffs in 2015.....because of his decisions #12 has less game experience going into 2016....so bad decisions in 2015 negatively impact 2016.  It was so bizarre and freakish that I was convinced that we did not want to win.

The defense.  The defense held wonder boy Streveler to 14 rushing yards when he averaged >100, picked him twice and forced a fumble.  The defense scored a third of our TDs.  USD only converted 4 third downs all game.  We held them to less points than anyone has held them to, including an FBS team. 

I think the team is poorly conditioned as a whole as evidence by yet another second half meltdown, but overall the issues are not with the d...or special teams......

As far as Ricky goes, it takes a BAMF to come back after a concussion and play that well in the first half.  The offense was on the field a long time...I wonder if #11 should have taken a series or two as #12 seemed to fade in the second half.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2016, 10:01:34 AM »
I never said the defense is the greatest problem and do not believe that to be so. I have an issue with the scheme. I have an issue with the talent that we have in some areas, offense is certainly no exception. So when you want to talk about coach M's recruiting, we may have more in common to talk about.

"Beat the crap out of a running QB"? Say I do not want that style of offense to begin with and the game was not out of hand. When was that game EVER out of hand after the first quarter? When we had the ball (after an onside kick mind you) with a buck-48 to go? Say when you cannot trust your QB to make simple passes over the 10-man box, you have no choice but to run. You know as well as I that there should have been more than 2 INT's off of Davis. USD defenders dropped at least 2 more and did not even see the ball floating in the air a couple more times. You don't say a word about our o-line getting beat up the whole game even the first half.

The simple fact of the matter is that we do not put out the effort and you people are afraid to call out the names of players. You people all think that play-calling is so simple. Everything is fine when we have to bring up our secondary to make up for lack of ability up front on defense. Then when a team just burns us with the deep ball, it is okay because they are WVU. (Every single one of you knows that we should have beaten the Mountaineers ...they played terribly against us). Why all the forgiveness on defense? After all it happened against an NEC school as well....because the HC is supposedly defensively-oriented and he and our DC both have the name Pelini. You b**ched about a new offense and then when you get it ...you still complain. Then there is your constant "Ricky ....Ricky ...Ricky. Say if he was #1, he would have started 2-years ago. However we will for give him because he is coming off a concussion...who gives a crap? If you are not playing at the #1 level for any reason then you need to take a seat. Again you are afraid to call him out and you just make up excuses for him! You are doing the same thing for Davis that you say I am doing for coach M.

Calling offense based on two factors:

1. What the other team is giving you and
2. The talent that you have

Calling offense is not like calling defense, where all we try to do is limit the damage. Yes real defense (that we all want) went out in the 90's. Is play calling what caused us to have 2 INT's and 2 fumbles? Was it Montgomery that could not make holes for Webb, no but it was Montgomery that brought in McCaster to help with the issue. (3 FG's in the red-zone? How about the fact that our big-play offense struggled inside the 35?). Was it Montgomery that played so erratic at QB? No; but it was Montgomery that brought in Davis which all of you were crying for. You can never be satisfied. Montgomery has been the only consistency in an ever-changing run of defenses, with the exception of this year when he had to make major changes. I do not shield coach M from blame, but I do not except our current level of effort. No just blame the OC and AD then life is good.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:43:58 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
First of all a wins a win no matter how ugly it is.  We all know that after the Tressel years. I will list my thoughts as a list so I don't forget after a night of letting the emotions cool.

1. Crowd.
         Weather report strikes again.  But our area has no connection to the teams we play, other than Akron and Kent we have no natural rivals.  Youngstown has lost considerable population and what is left could careless about local college football.  Even if we win in this brand of football 10-15 thousand would be max.  Nobody cares what league we are in.  Cable tv also plays in.  But not much ESPN 3 might hurt a little too but not much. FCS football in Ohio is like shopping at Kmart or Sears. No reason to go or care.  Move up or change conferences.
There was hardly any students again and they do a giveaway every game for 2 $250 schollies per game.

2.  Monty

Still dont get him after what 8 yrs.  His offense genius is between the 20's. in the red zone he is clueless and indecisive.  (Example,  having to call timeout after time out because we don't know Which of the 3 plays to call
We need to speed up tempo instead we plod our way down the field st times and our team plays like that as well.  speed it up the kids will respond.  SD was doing that and was successful they didn't have the horses to sustain it.
Back to Monty. Wtf happens to him in the second half.  Year after year game after game we have the lead and he goes into a shell in the second half.  We had superior speed at the skills and we Never isolated or ran any screens to our speed guys and if we would have took more vertical shots with them playing so close in the box with their safety's Davis would have had 400 yds lke WV did.  Good coaches ADJUST and EXPLOINT and get the ball into the hands of your playmakers.  They few times that he usedWebb like that the lb had no chance to cover him. 
No BIG BACK.  What happened to running Kuhn in short yardage.  I guess we lost that page of the playbook.  .  If I was Pelini I would fire Monty at the end of the season and get his guy.  Yea we got 450 on that D but if you did your homework even your grandma new they had a young undersized D with not much speed in the secondary.  Not impressed and time to move on. 

Defense.

Pelini bro schemed was dead on.  Stop the QB and you stop the Coyotes.  They caught us at times withe hurry up and for the love of Pete if the corner is getting beat take the penalty instead of letting them get the score.  It's college football. It's 15 yds not 6pts. Teams are double and triple teaming Rivers which has opened up some big plays for Moss.  The D had a pick 6 so as a whole they did their job.

Special teams. Not much to say except Kennedy is automatic and gets great depth on his kickoffs.  Translates touchback or little yardage on returns.  We only punted once and it was a long touch back.  Vastly improved special teams.

Summary.  We did what we had to do.  I thought Davis did well.  Ruiz ran well and we need to ride him 20+ carries a game to take control of the running game to protect Ricky.  Spot Webb 15 -18 plays to isolate him due to down and distance.  We are still a bubble team here 7 wins is in realm. .  I really think we need to figure out what happens when this team runs into the locker room at half time.  We can't keep putting all the pressure on the D with what I see as weak adjustments poor use of personnel and play calling that makes u scratch your head.  I feel Monty!s job to keep or lose this year.  Fix your Red zone offense that would be a start.

Go YSU!

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 10:58:39 AM »
#11 won't see the field again this year unless Ricky is either hurt or we are up big. Keep in mind Hosick was actually 3rd on the depth chart to start the season and got moved into the back up role to preserve #6's red shirt for him. Ricky is an overall better decision maker and passer and runner then Hosick is..Between the two the staff has made the right choice

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 11:36:28 AM »
Keep running 5-7, 170 pound Webb up the middle for no gain its my favorite play Monty ;)

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »
Thanks YSUGO for some sense and stability. I agree with our red-zone problems under Monty and I also place a great deal of that on recruiting and coach Carm.

As to the game last night, I agree we needed to isolate in the flat and see if we could use Webb's speed, but I simply did not trust Davis to get this done, for any number of reasons. It is probably harder to throw like that then straight down the field. I give Ruiz all the credit in the world. I am also mad that when we went to a 2-back set, we did not use Ruiz and McCaster.

#11 will never want to play, why risk getting hurt when you are going elsewhere? There is a time for dedication and time to think about yourself. Now is the latter for Wells. To Davis' credit ...last night he really put some "mustard" on the ball for the first time & this could have been a factor his erratic throwing. Wells still is the only one of the 3 that can hit the numbers consistently ...and before you all attack, I am only talking passing, not running.

I know we complain about this all the time, but officiating was really bad last night. That push-off was obvious and Bo let him have it. That late hit out of bounds was initiated while the defender was out-of-bounds ...that should have been 15 and an ejection.

Great point on the crowd. I was so disappointed.

Do not agree on Carl's scheme. If you  think coach M is stagnant, then coach Carl is "dead". It simply worked out for him last night as their line was so week, that their QB had to look short or run. We cannot (and have not been able to) sustain that against a good offensive front.

On Monty keep or losing his job, this may surprise you, but I agree. Then again, he is not Bo's pick, so that hog-ties him. I am confident he can fix the red-zone issues, but without Well firing the ball, it is on our O-line making holes and I do not see it happening this year.  Maybe late season but it will be too late by then. We are going to have to throw up close and I hate that. After last night I lost all confidence in Davis' arm. It seems like all our online can do is protect. I am thowing my support behind Ruiz and McCaster, with a delicate sprinkling of Webb.

GO GUINS!!

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »
Chief. Webb only had 11 carriers last  night. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. You are thinking of last year wen Ruiz was hurt. Webb is your feature back. If we sent him outside every play then you would be complaining that every team knows what he is going to do. The skills are there and being used properly. What's the matter is 3 backs and QB with feet too much for you? I guess being #4 in the nation is not good enough.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:49:06 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
Seven trips to the red zone, and five of those did NOT result in a TD.....against the MVFCs worst rushing D. Shameful.

MSU is 3-1/1-0....we may have already played our easiest conference foe...at home. 

I still believe in #11, but don't believe he's > #12. I don't think #11 is leaving, but assume #6 is.  #12 is the fourth highest passing efficiency QB in the MVFC (#19 in the FCS), and this myth that he can't "hit the numbers consistently" still follows him.  He's never thrown a pic before yesterday in his college career.  He's coming off a concussion....I'll cut him some slack.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:06:38 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen