Author Topic: Guins vs. Coyotes  (Read 35553 times)

Offline coyotefan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Guins vs. Coyotes
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
Hey guys, USD guy here, just got done watching the replay of some of your game last night. I know Robert Morris isn't very good, so hard to gauge just how you will match-up with us, but considering you held on with WVU, it looks like we will have our hands full.

Things I noticed from small amount of game I watched:

Trent Hosick is an athletic QB who can evade a solid rush and make defenses pay for it. Again, my sample size is small in what I saw, but his accuracy in throwing looked just OK, but he seems to be more of a running QB which would be the reason.

Martin Ruiz is fast, and can quickly make it past that first level for a solid gain. USD's D-line is somewhat inconsistent, so that worries me most about Ruiz.

Defensive rush is solid. Put a lot of pressure on Bobby Morris's QB.

Whenever you guys start a YSU/USD thread, I'll add more, but looking forward to starting conference play in two weeks. Good luck, guys!

*EDIT* I noticed some talk of you guys wanting to leave the MVFC. As an MVFC fan, I believe you guys are integral to the difficulty of the MVFC. I would be disappointed if you guys left the conference for the much inferior NEC.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:06:26 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:31:36 PM »
Coyotefan.  Welcome.  Looking forward to some intelligent conversation next week.  For now you should know that we played the Robert Morris game without our starting quarterback who was out with a concussion.  He will return for South Dakota.  Also, we rotate two running backs, one of whom....the really fast one....was also on the shelf but will return for the contest with your team.  The offense that you will face will be substantially different from what you watched against Robert Morris.  We also are aware of the amount of points that you are scoring.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:06:39 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »
Fellas are healing up nicely, ready to go for next week!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
Hey guys, USD guy here, just got done watching the replay of some of your game last night. I know Robert Morris isn't very good, so hard to gauge just how you will match-up with us, but considering you held on with WVU, it looks like we will have our hands full.

Trent Hosick is an athletic QB who can evade a solid rush and make defenses pay for it. Again, my sample size is small in what I saw, but his accuracy in throwing looked just OK, but he seems to be more of a running QB which would be the reason.

Martin Ruiz is fast, and can quickly make it past that first level for a solid gain. USD's D-line is somewhat inconsistent, so that worries me most about Ruiz.

Whenever you guys start a YSU/USD thread, I'll add more, but looking forward to starting conference play in two weeks. Good luck, guys!

*EDIT* I noticed some talk of you guys wanting to leave the MVFC. As an MVFC fan, I believe you guys are integral to the difficulty of the MVFC. I would be disappointed if you guys left the conference for the much inferior NEC.

What should we watch for from your guys?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:18:12 AM »

What should we watch for from your guys?

Hey Happy, tell Karl Hungus to call me!

USD will be a hand full for our secondary. I don't think a ton of points will be scored in this one!

Offline coyotecrazie5

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Does Youngstown have any online streaming, or is ESPN3 the only choice?

Thanks

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:11:12 PM »
Does Youngstown have any online streaming, or is ESPN3 the only choice?

Thanks

ESPN3 only, unfortunately.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:24:40 PM »
Ricky, Jody, Brock all ready to go this week.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »

Too late! The TV color commentator said that RMU is a new rivalry for YSU!  Seriously who knows what'll happen.  The MAC is a house of cards, and a new Ohio conference could form in the FCS.  If we don't get FCOA schollies like you guys are offering, the recruiting obstacles may become insurmountable.  I'd be very surprised if we left the MVFC for the NEC.  CAA maybe, but doubt that too.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 08:30:10 PM »

I am one that would like to "move on" from the league, not knocking the league, not afraid of the competition, just cannot relate to the far off schools Iowa and the Dakotas. The NEC is not an option. The CAA would be a bit better, more name recognition with most of the schools and a little better footprint.

There are a bunch of attractive schools in Ohio and Michigan that would be a great fit albeit a few minor issues. Until they realize that they would be better in FCS it will not happen.

Looking forward to Sat
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »
Ricky, Jody, Brock all ready to go this week.
Here is the weekly press conference with Ricky talking about South Dakota ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge12k5FSOHw&feature=share

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:24 PM »
I am very optimistic about this game. I think we can pull away from them.

- We play the Coyotes very consistently & they are always tough against us. So we will learn a great deal from this game.

- Ruiz looked more like his usual self last week. Coach P said that Webb could have gone last week if he had to. McCaster is looking better every time he plays. We should be able to control on offense.

- We should have 4 healthy QB's.

- I do not think that any of the teams in the MVFC have the speed of WVU in the receiving corpse, but I really think we need to play deeper in the secondary. If coach Carl want to leave the outsides open, that may work, but to have the safeties play up and the LB's playing inside is what cost us the WVU game and gave Duquesne a TD on us last week.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »

Too late! The TV color commentator said that RMU is a new rivalry for YSU!  Seriously who knows what'll happen.  The MAC is a house of cards, and a new Ohio conference could form in the FCS.  If we don't get FCOA schollies like you guys are offering, the recruiting obstacles may become insurmountable.  I'd be very surprised if we left the MVFC for the NEC.  CAA maybe, but doubt that too.
CAA is a far better option for us than NEC.  Good grief, NEC is a BIG step backward.  I'm not sure YSU fits that well for the Colonial.  I do think the huge distances required for MVFC is a real long term problem for YSU expense wise. 
IMO greatest thing possible for YSU is a MAC blowup and new "all sports" 1AA league with KSU, UA, OU, Toledo, Buffalo, BGSU, Miami, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, YSU
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Pre-game info:

From the Vindy:

The key to the Coyotes’ offense is quarterback Chris Streveler. The junior is leading the team in both passing (169 yards per game) and rushing (115.7 yards per game).

At 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, the YSU defense will have to deal with not only a running quarterback, but a large running quarterback.

“It’s almost like playing a wildcat type offense with a guy who can throw a little bit,” Pelini said. “He’s tough.

“He can run and he’s shown good speed on the outside a couple times on some long runs. It’s not like your normal quarterback who runs the ball. He’s going to run the ball like a tailback.”

“They can play in their underwear for all I’m concerned as long as they play good,” Pelini said.”

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/sep/28/off-week-enhances-healing/

From YSUsports.com:

The No. 15 Youngstown State football team opens Missouri Valley Football Conference play on Saturday afternoon against South Dakota at Stambaugh Stadium. Kickoff for the contest is set for 4 p.m. The game is available on WKBN 570 AM, iHeartRadio and ESPN3/WatchESPN App.

South Dakota (1-2) was also off last weekend following a tough 47-44 double-overtime defeat at North Dakota. The Coyotes led by 20 points in the second half, only to come up short in the contest.

The Penguins have won the previous four meetings against South Dakota, including a 31-3 triumph last year at the DakotaDome.

YSU has won seven straight MVFC openers, the longest current streak among Valley schools.

The Penguins have not allowed a rushing touchdown through three games.

The Penguins' defensive-end combo of Avery Moss (No. 9) and Derek Rivers (No. 11) is one of the top ones in the nation.
    WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen was quoted as saying following the contest "These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen" (h/t @mitchsherman).

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/south-dakota-preview

5dimes has the spread at YSU -14.5.  The over/under is set at 67.5  (IMO, YSU covers).

Massey gives YSU a 79% chance of victory and predicts a score of 38-27.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
Excerpts from a game preview from Drae Smith:

The USD offense is led by junior quarterback Chris Streveler who is in his first season with the program after transferring from Minnesota. The dual threat signal caller has thrown nine touchdown passes while also leading the team in rushing with 115.7 yards per game and four scores. The 6’2, 220-pound junior earned the starting job by beating out last year’s starter, senior Ryan Saeger, in fall camp.

The YSU offense is averaging an impressive 482 yards per game this season and should be able to continue that success against a struggling South Dakota defense. The Penguins will also be back to full strength in terms of injuries for the first time since the season opener.

With a daunting MVFC schedule that includes road games at playoff-regulars Illinois State, North Dakota State and South Dakota State plus Northern Iowa at home, this game can legitimately be viewed as a must-win for Youngstown State.

http://www.draesmith.com/blog/2016/9/27/ysu-hosts-south-dakota-in-conference-opener