Author Topic: Guins vs. Coyotes  (Read 35667 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Guins vs. Coyotes
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »
Charles Grove ‏@CgroveVindy  16h16 hours ago
Stopped by #YSU football practice today. Coach Pelini was not thrilled today w/ effort. Gave them a good chewing after practice. @vindicator

https://twitter.com/CgroveVindy/status/781251539977601024

Pelini: "We ain't there, we ain't even (expletive) close. First 3 games are over. Put up or shut up now." #YSU @vindicator

https://twitter.com/CgroveVindy/status/781251789945528320

I know this topic has been burnt to a crisp but it matters.  Could it be that after insulting D1 athletes, some of whom transferred from P5 schools, with two NEC games, that they are undermotivated?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
Stopped by #YSU football practice today. Coach Pelini was not thrilled today w/ effort. Gave them a good chewing after practice. @vindicator

https://twitter.com/CgroveVindy/status/781251539977601024

Pelini: "We ain't there, we ain't even (expletive) close. First 3 games are over. Put up or shut up now." #YSU @vindicator
After that super human effort against Bobby morris maybe they do need a good chewing out. You can't pick and choose you're level of intensity just because you're playing an NEC school. walk on scholarship or Div.1 transfer, makes no difference. Play like you did against the mountaineers or don't play at all. A chewing out? sounds like a slap on the wrist to me.
https://twitter.com/CgroveVindy/status/781251789945528320

I know this topic has been burnt to a crisp but it matters.  Could it be that after insulting D1 athletes, some of whom transferred from P5 schools, with two NEC games, that they are undermotivated?

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
seems to be a problem with the message I was trying to send But,... as I was going to say, maybe they do need a good chewing out. After that super human effort against Bobby Morris they should get it You can't pick and choose your level of intensity just because you're playing an NEC school. walk on, scholarship, or Div. 1 transfer, if you don't give the same effort you did against the Mountaineers, maybe you do need a little chewing out. Knowing Pellini, it would seem like a slap on the wrist to me!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 01:55:16 PM »
Who you play has nothing to do with it. Many big-6 transfers are just that ...big-6 transfers:

They are here and...
-wish they were at a big-6 schools again
-think they are better than others.
-they think all schools at this level are easier (usually this ends pretty quickly. 1 game).
-They were troubles there and they will usually still be troubles here.

These are all dictionary reasons why you need to stay away from IA transfers as much as possible. They need to understand before they come here. They need to understand what football is like here
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:20:56 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
Grove is doing a good job replacing Scalzo, but let's not cling to his opinions as if they were sacred scripture. Teams have good practices and bad practices.  Many coaches respond with emotion after a bad practice.  This is no big deal.  And it might have actually been contrived by Pelini to prevent a letdown on Saturday.

As far as our transfers being insulted by playing NEC teams, are Ohio State's elite studs insulted by playing the stiffs in their ooc schedule?  Relatively speaking, OSU plays a lighter ooc than we do.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
As far as our transfers being insulted by playing NEC teams, are Ohio State's elite studs insulted by playing the stiffs in their ooc schedule?  Relatively speaking, OSU plays a lighter ooc than we do.

idk.  Everyone tOSU plays has an equivalent # of scholarships.  The NEC is not up to 63 schollies now, although is planning to get there.  Using Massey, Tulsa and BG are ranked higher in the FBS than Duquesne and RMU are in the FCS.  An apples to apples comparison would be us to this:

http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&print=true&version=1

or this:

http://unipanthers.com/schedule.aspx?path=football
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:23:30 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:01 PM »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
Only one day away!  ;D

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
Still no meaningful discussion about this game?  The South Dakota qb is a legitimate FBS talent; apparently he transferred after Minnesota wanted to move him to another position.  Whether he has room to operate will depend entirely upon the South Dakota line and their ability to block our front seven.

South Dakota has scored a lot of points but consider their opposition.  Using the Sagarin ratings, FBS New Mexico is #114 and they blew South Dakota, #167, out.  YSU is #96 and I would expect that we could defeat New Mexico.  South Dakota has a double OT home win over Weber State, #182.  That is roughly the same as Duquesne, #193.  Their double OT road loss came against FCS North Dakota, #160.

Basically if our defense is as good as we expect, it should be on display tomorrow.  If we struggle, it might well be another long and frustrating season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 08:20:17 PM »
IMO, the lack of hype is a consequence of OOC opponents that reaffirm the (mis)belief of many that YSU FB is a second rate program in a second rate division.  One playoff year in the moRon era compounds that stereotype.  This needs to be a breakout year, and that needs to start Saturday.

A few things I'll be looking at tomorrow:

1)  Conditioning.  YSU tanked in Q2 versus WVU, as they have in several MVFC games last year.  This raises concerns for me re: strength and conditioning.  Can they play 4 quarters versus an MVFC opponent? IMO, if they are not leading...at home...versus USD....by 14 at the half....then there is reason for concern for the outcome of the game and the rest of the season.  This should be the second most likely conference win of 2016.

2)  The o-line.  Trent was flushed out of the pocket all game versus RMU, and was sacked twice.  Brock is back but c'mon....RMU?  Trent should've been able to text and take selfies in the pocket.  Can the o-line protect #12...who is coming back after a concussion. Also, this is the MVFC's top rushing O versus the worst rushing D.  This should be a big day for Webb, Ruiz, and McAster.

3)  #12.  Concussions can take months to recover from.  How ready is he?  How will he respond, as our leading rusher versus WVU, when he takes hits in and out of the pocket?  The least # of points scored versus USD is 47 so far this season.  If that scoring steel mill shift whistle doesn't blow a few times a quarter, then there is reason for concern.  Need also to watch the drops by the receivers.

4)#11.  Poor performance versus RMU. Just a bad night, or is he exposed as not ready for field duty?

5)  Can we contain Streveler?  He averages over 100 yards/game rushing and is the second leading rusher in the MVFC as a QB.  Contain him and this game may be a blowout.

6)  Actual attendance.  Will the red out bring out the students?  How much of the red will actually be scarlet? :D

My prediction:

YSU 38 - 21
4/5 of YSU's TDs are rushing.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »
Gameday! Let's get it fellas!

27-17 good guys

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »
Some good points Nation. Our offense needs to come up big today and I'm very excited to see Webb back. They give up alot of points and about 6.5 yards a carry. Offensively they can put up a good amount of points in a hurry and they can also run clock if need be. I'm also thinking about a 14-17 point spread. I think Ricky Davis put it best..They might be 1-2 but have played a very good schedule and will come prepared

ValleyTalk

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 11:09:58 AM »
YSU 24-10

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »
What a disgusting performance! I saw absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe we can win this conference. They played worse than they played against Bobby Morris. WAY too many mistakes and too many points left on the field.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 07:03:35 PM »
Another beautiful game called by Montgomery.  3 points by the offense in the second half.  3ints by our inexperienced QB.  Ran him 100 times so he get wrecked.  What a POS offensive performance.  Pass the ball with 3 min left.  Idiot.