YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Search for a new baseball coach

(1/2) > >>

ytownchief22:
Steve Gillespie and YSU have mutually agreed to part ways. 14-38 this year, 61-153 career... The search is on.

OleYSUfan:
We need a new baseball coach, Gillespie managerial skills lacked a lot! I hope we get someone that can bring in some better pitching and have good managerial skills.   

Wick250:
Five years ago there were four Division I baseball programs in NE Ohio.  Today there are just two.  You would think that we would have naturally improved in that climate, especially since baseball scholarships are limited and many kids in DI programs must pay their own way.  In-state tuition should have made us attractive to Ohio players; instead this guy recruited heavily out of state.

I have no idea where we get the next coach.  Obviously, we cannot pay much.  On the other hand, the baseball program is totally secure since the Horizon League now mandates that schools play either baseball or soccer in addition to basketball.  Male soccer....not going to happen.

go guins:

--- Quote from: OleYSUfan on May 23, 2016, 01:25:30 PM ---We need a new baseball coach, Gillespie managerial skills lacked a lot! I hope we get someone that can bring in some better pitching and have good managerial skills.

--- End quote ---

Managerial skills?  This is baseball, I can manage a baseball team.  Recruiter?  Teacher?  Leader?  Those are the skills required, but manager is -0- importance.  Good grief, we play with a DH (no subs) and aluminum bats (no bunting).  Anybody can do that!

IAA Fan:
Lots of talk on this one:

1. Everyone knew this was coming. He was great on paper, but did not convert to anything on the field.

2. He is probably a pretty good assistant in college and as a semi-pro HC, but he is not use to recruiting an entire team. Additionally as a pro coach ...he has a great deal of talent to choose from.

3. The loss of Antush never sat well with me. When he was here (and wanted) he was able to recruit great pitching talent ...most of it from Ohio and WPa. I am not certain everything of all that went on in Antush's leaving ...but I think the school would be smart to try and lock on to him right now & push for the new coach to keep him. In the mean time, he can recruit & costs us very little.

4. Word has it that Hollick at OSU is looking, but he played for Kent and may not consider YSU much of an opportunity. Also good assistants at SE Missouri and SIUe. Oakes and Peters could be nice pickups from Pitt. Would not surprise me if we stay in-house this time.

Do not rule out men's soccer ...that field was not built for only the lady Pens. A move to the MAC would just about force a men's program on us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version