Author Topic: YSU vs WVU  (Read 89056 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs WVU
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
Illinois St beat Northwestern yesterday.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
I would again like to comment on the fans at WVU.

Prior to the game all we heard was they were bad fans.  I had friends who did not wear Penguins shirts.

We were happy to find out their fans were great people.  From the time we arrived we were greeted with respect.  We talk to several people in the lot and  received only good wishes.  We sat surrounded by WVU fans.  All were great people. We cheered.. They cheered.  No bad comments.

When we were leaving our car would not start. Several people asked if we needed help.

My point of this is there really were not many people from YSU there and I hope the BS that was being spread about their fans being bad did not keep them from attending. 

Had a great time and will go next time we play there!!!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #137 on: September 11, 2016, 04:47:50 PM »
Could not agree more with Buddy. From the second we got out of our cars at the Coliseum, everyone was very nice and hospitable. Great group of fans. I would say the only exception would be the ones right next to the YSU band. I noticed our band director was getting quite upset with a few. However, a vast majority were excellent people.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
So right Buddy. The fans just said to stay out of the student section and that is what we did. Did you ever hear so may compliments about our play form the enemy? Did you guys see how cordial the WVU players were after the game? Lots of hugs and handshakes. A couple of co-op prayers and everyone headed to the lockers. I will be happy to go back in 2-years. I did have to laugh though as this guy said he was out parading his daughters to find husbands and offering moonshine. The one was a little plump, with x-short Daisy Dukes and cowboy boots. Up until then I did forget I was in WVa.   :)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
Overall a pretty good day for our conference going 7-3 against quality opponents. I'm still thinking the 2 best defenses we will face will be Illinois st. and Northern Iowa. However their offenses seem to be struggling early on

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »
Overall a pretty good day for our conference going 7-3 against quality opponents. I'm still thinking the 2 best defenses we will face will be Illinois st. and Northern Iowa. However their offenses seem to be struggling early on

Good summary.  I agree.  NDSU has an "it" factor because they refuse to lose.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:35:56 PM by penguinpower »

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2016, 06:44:07 PM »
We had a GREAT time at WVU.  100% will go back in two years.  The tailgate lot was so much fun.  They offered us shots, food, beers, Cider... we played corn hole and just had a GREAT time.  During the game some obnoxious YSU fan started cursing and making obscene gestures towards the WVU fans.  When I, wearing my red and white, asked him to sit down and behave... me and my group became instant royalty.  Just like everything in life... treat others as you would like to be treated.  Kudos to you WVU... I'll be back and rooting for you guys in the Big 12!

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
We were seated behind the YSU band but next to a student section.  Many obnoxious students very drunk and rowdy. No sign of police or ushers to control this bunch. Could have been a scene but most of the YSU fans ignored the comments. Late in the game one fan was being thrown out. He was a YSU student and I thought to myself "why don't you throw out the WVU students too".  But I knew the answer to that. On the way out of the game one of our group almost went over to the WVU student to get involved but cooler heads prevailed.

On the other hand we were greeted with good wishes from those in the purple tailgate lot and a few in the stadium. We appreciated their respect for us.  Found a great place to eat and drink called the Varsity Club. Although we had to wait to enter by being placed on a list, once inside the food and drink were excellent and we were treated to a round of drinks from a WVU fan named Butch who was a hoot but a great fan who made a big deal about the football game and us coming from Youngstown.  He treated us like family and I would say we appreciated his and his friends hospitality.  Now if the students would have only behaved it would have been 100% pleasant.  Don't know if I will return to that atmosphere in the stands.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2016, 09:21:43 PM »
Listened to the post game press show on the radio.  Coach Holgorsen was very kind and said good things about our effort. A couple of comments from him.  He thought we were well prepared and YSU came to play and it took a half to wake WVU up. The long passes for TD's were a result of our safeties having to come up to support our linebackers who could not plug the run holes.  Once they kept edging up, and they were involved in run stopping, and there was no threat of a blitz, their QB was able to launch his passes over our heads. he thought his team was conditioned well in the heat (none of WVU player had leg cramps) and it was just a matter of time when WVU would wear us down.  He was not happy with some calls from the officials but refused to comment on calls against YSU.  There were other comments but he seemed honest and fair in his press conference and heaped a lot of praise on YSU and said he knows we will have a successful season - we are good.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »
My twin and I were at the WVU game yesterday. Let me say we parked at the Coliseum and walked to the stadium of course we were in the tailgate lot. I found the WVU fans very welcoming. We talked to alot of their fans(and even sat with me). Their fans offered us food and beverage. Really great people. They do love their football team. Highlight of the day was: getting our picture taken with the Mountaineer. FYI I was the one who was carrying a stuff Pete the Penguin

As for the game. I thought we played well the 1,2, and 4th quarter. We really need to play a 4 qtr game.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2016, 12:27:35 PM »
Looked like there were quite a few empty seats.  Were there a lot of folks selling extra tickets before the game?

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
I saw quite a few people trying to get rid of their tickets. Not too many needing to buy tickets.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 12, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
Holgorsen speaking of Moss and Rivers... As if we didn't already know but high praise nonetheless.

Dana Holgorsen: "These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I’ve seen."

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »
I'm not trying to prove a point but asking because I truly don't know. The consensus seems to be that our players tired out because WVU could sub out frequently and YSU couldn't, thus the meltdown starting late in Q2.  We could sub out, but with second team non or partial scholly players, right?  I've heard a fresh mediocre player is always better than a fatigued star player. The meltdown continued despite halftime in a climate controlled locker room, and then with the YSU offense on the field first consuming 2.5 minutes.  I would think that'd allow the D time to get a second wind.  Obviously, the WVU players played in identical conditions as YSU players, and no WVU players had cramps from what I recall.  All of this is with the back ground of prior second half meltdowns, like the NDSU game last year, where heat obviously wasn't an issue.

I totally buy that WVU made adjustments that we didn't.  Monty sucks.  But it sure seems like we may have issues with strength and conditioning, and players unable to perform for a full game.  Is that a legit gripe?

Compare WVU's first five drives versus the last seven.

WVU     1st    W25    15:00    Kickoff    Y38    14:08         Interception    4-37    0:52     
WVU     1st    W20    10:14    Punt    W44    08:21         Punt    5-24    1:53     
WVU     1st    W20    05:59    Punt    Y00    03:16    *    TOUCHDOWN    8-80    2:43     
WVU     2nd    W23    13:42    Kickoff    Y47    11:30         Punt    5-30    2:12     
WVU     2nd    W09    10:07    Kickoff    W36    07:36         Punt    8-27    2:31

WVU     2nd    W14    05:24    Punt    Y00    03:15    *    TOUCHDOWN    6-86    2:09     
WVU     2nd    W35    00:51    Punt    Y13    00:00         Missed FG    7-52    0:51    #
WVU     3rd    W14    12:31    Punt    Y00    09:26    *    TOUCHDOWN    9-86    3:05    #
WVU     3rd    W20    07:32    Punt    Y15    02:50    *    FIELD GOAL    14-65    4:42    #
WVU     3rd    W43    01:49    Punt    Y00    01:40    *    TOUCHDOWN    1-57    0:09     
WVU     4th    W01    13:36    Punt    W08    12:02         Punt    3-7    1:34     
WVU     4th    W25    08:44    Kickoff    Y00    05:37    *    TOUCHDOWN    7-75    3:07     
WVU     4th    W28    02:12    Interception    W40    00:00         End of half    4-12    2:12
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 12, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »
Good point Nation..Look, W.V. is good, but there know elite team currently in the top 20 or even close to it. I too question the conditioning of the team. We have changed strength and conditioning coaches and trainers as of late. It was hot at Northwestern, Illinois st. didn't have a problem. It was extremely hot at Iowa St, Northern Iowa didn't have a problem. The same could also be said for the other 5 FCS programs that have beat FBS opponents. The FCS team that lost to Georgia by 2 points this past weekend has the same amount of scholarships as we do or maybe even less..I don't like the depth issue excuse
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:06:17 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »