Author Topic: John Barnes- Kent State  (Read 14668 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
John Barnes- Kent State
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:44:50 PM »
Hearing that Barnes is the leading candidate for the Kent State women's job. He had an interview today... Interesting.....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: John Barnes- Kent State
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
Makes sense to me. He can stay put & get quite a substantial pay increase. Although YSU's focus on women's athletics is deeper than Kent's. Any idea on the current salary of this job at Kent?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
Kent coach makes 160K. 

So Barnes supposedly agreed to a five year extension prior to this past season, leaving him with four years left on his contract.  So now for more money he is willing to ignore that obligation and move from a team with a RPI of 130 to a team with a RPI of 318 (source NCAA site.)  That is surely a sign of high character.

Does anybody else find it positively ridiculous that our athletic director, having been burned by Boldon just three years ago, failed to include at least an Ohio MAC school exclusion in Barnes' contract extension.  Why am I not surprised.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »
I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »
Interesting info from Wick.  This forum smokes the local media in content.

Serious question:  Does moRon Strollo hate YSU? 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »
Kent coach makes 160K. 

So Barnes supposedly agreed to a five year extension prior to this past season, leaving him with four years left on his contract.  So now for more money he is willing to ignore that obligation and move from a team with a RPI of 130 to a team with a RPI of 318 (source NCAA site.)  That is surely a sign of high character.

Does anybody else find it positively ridiculous that our athletic director, having been burned by Boldon just three years ago, failed to include at least an Ohio MAC school exclusion in Barnes' contract extension.  Why am I not surprised.

Wick:

1. I am surprised Kent pays so little. Look how much OU gave Boldon.
2. There is no way to enforce such a clause and also, it would place a serious damper on the scope of our hiring . Just not smart business. You may be able to put your foot down on taking players, but even that is all but impossible.

You guys all claim that Strollo knows nothing, but he clearly knows more than you give him credit for. Additionally, the closeness of larger DI programs is what pulls people to coach at YSU.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:48:26 PM »
We have such a great fan base.... #smh

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 08:55:35 PM »

One can be a fan, and also utilize their frontal lobes.

New question:  Did moRon Strollo have a frontal lobectomy?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:56:50 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »

One can be a fan, and also utilize their frontal lobes.

New question:  Did moRon Strollo have a frontal lobectomy?

PN you make some  good posts, this is not one of them.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
"the closeness of larger D1 programs is what pulls people to coach at YSU"......for WBB only, right? Or could this statement be applied to MBB as well, 1AA?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »
"the closeness of larger D1 programs is what pulls people to coach at YSU"......for WBB only, right? Or could this statement be applied to MBB as well, 1AA?

We are supposed to be on the same level as these other programs, but yes it still does apply. Just not as heavily in other sports. In MBB, we should be able to draw a coach on or own merits ...salary and conference

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 01:05:23 PM »
Well look at this: "@Chad426: I've learned that John Barnes will not be leaving Youngstown State for Kent State, and will remain the Penguins WBB Head Coach." Kudos to Ron Strollo and to the administration for keeping him in Youngstown.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »
Well look at this: "@Chad426: I've learned that John Barnes will not be leaving Youngstown State for Kent State, and will remain the Penguins WBB Head Coach." Kudos to Ron Strollo and to the administration for keeping him in Youngstown.

Praise the AD because a HC didn't break a contract?  That's where the level of expectations are?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »

Praise the AD because a HC didn't break a contract?  That's where the level of expectations are?

Paladin er uhm Nation. Digging yourself deeper? We will see I really do not follow social "trash" media for my news. You do realize that Kent had to ask permission and YSU could have refused? They did not and they never would.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »

Paladin er uhm Nation. Digging yourself deeper? We will see I really do not follow social "trash" media for my news. You do realize that Kent had to ask permission and YSU could have refused? They did not and they never would.

One playoff season in 15 years at a "football school" that formerly was the "team of the 90's"....a laughingstock MBB.....and the AD is praised because a HC will continue to show up for work....unreal......