Author Topic: Donlon fired at WSU.  (Read 25178 times)

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Donlon fired at WSU.
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »
WOW!!! What is their AD's definition of success?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Donlon fired at WSU.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:37 PM »

Very different from ours ;)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:50:55 PM »
They might expected more a coach making $400k a year. Slocum might be ahead for $/win. With that being said, I still cannot believe that we actually plan to keep him.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »
Donlon closer to 250k per, I believe. His 109 wins in 6 years cost $13k per win. Slocum at 135k, 11 years, 129 wins cost $11k per win. Guess you're spot on. That's value.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
Donlon getting canned is absurd. He is a terrific coach and did a great job at WSU. That program will take a step back without him.

Also, Jeter gets the axe at UWM.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »
Donlon closer to 250k per, I believe. His 109 wins in 6 years cost $13k per win. Slocum at 135k, 11 years, 129 wins cost $11k per win. Guess you're spot on. That's value.
I looked up the Internet, it said his base salary was $380k. I believe the expectations are different. He was probably expected to reach the big dance and Slocum was probably only expected to be above 0.500. Hence , he lost his job and Slocum keeps his.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »
Wins/$?  Doesn't account to lost revenue from sponsors, gate, Gameday food sales, souvenirs...

Also, our SOS generally was weaker. The going rate for a win over Wiberforce should be $5.00.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 06:57:18 AM »
Didn't realize Slocum was .500.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Wins/$?  Doesn't account to lost revenue from sponsors, gate, Gameday food sales, souvenirs...

Also, our SOS generally was weaker. The going rate for a win over Wiberforce should be $5.00.
I was not trying to support the renewal of Slocum's contract. I was merely trying to theorize why WSU released Donlon. I have been attending YSU MBB since I was student @ YSU in 1966. I attended more than 50% of the  home game each year. Last year, I attended 0 games. I just couldn't take it anymore. How about bringing Donlon here? He would not have to be compared to near by teams like Dayton and Xavier when he was at WSU. however, without the supporting budget, this probably would not happen.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »
For a moment imagine that YSU goes a step further down the "failure is acceptable and even embraced because we are only spending $1.3M on MBB" path, and hires a former HS basketball player (with no other experience) and paid him minimum wage.

How many less NCAA tournament appearances would we have had over the last 11 years?
How many less NIT tournament appearances would we have had over the last 11 years?
How many less HL championship game appearances would we have had over the last 11 years?
How many less fans would attend games?

I would make the case that the former HS basketball player would attempt to maximize the opportunity and pour every ounce of energy and enthusiasm into it, which may overcome our current HC's D2 experience.  Why, he might even court the media and fans. My daughter attends FAU, and the FB HC holds events for students, and takes selfies with them.  Such earnestness does exist....elsewhere.....

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »
I would just like someone young with some enthusiasm who like Nation said, will come in and embrace the program like Bolden and Barnes were and are for the women. Not someone who throws players under the bus after games and looks so pissed like he's missing his bocce game and needs to get out of the presser immediately.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:00:13 AM »
This tread about $ / win is about the silliest thing I recall reading for quite a while. (At least since the banning of Paladin!)  Who is their right mind measures that?  Do you think JT sits down and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Come on, do you guys think like that?  And don't even think about telling me that JT isn't the AD and so he doesn't make that decision! 
Question is, do you have enough to offer to get a real quality young stud coach to come to Youngstown OH?  Sometimes there are factors other than just wins.  Every coach and school in the country demands over 50% wins, and presents an interesting math problem, doesn't it?  I saw a blog the other day questioning Thad Matta's coaching ability for failing to make the big dance!  How ridiculous is that? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
Let's try to look at this issue logically and without emotion.  We fire football coaches who do not meet expectations.  Strollo redeemed himself after the disastrous hires of Hill and Martin by bringing in Boldon and Barnes.  In the past decade we have fired several unsuccessful volleyball coaches.  We just fired a soccer coach when that program regressed although it had a nice new field.  We will probably soon fire the softball coach (all hitting, no pitching) for the same reason.  All these moves are made at every Division I school in America.  But the great mystery is why men's basketball is treated DIFFERENTLY.  Why does it not matter if we don't win?  Why does it not matter if the stands are empty?  Why does it not matter that the public relations associated with men's basketball are terrible?  Until the university can explain this anomaly, they should expect nothing but ire or disinterest from the fan base.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
Let's try to look at this issue logically and without emotion.  We fire football coaches who do not meet expectations.  Strollo redeemed himself after the disastrous hires of Hill and Martin by bringing in Boldon and Barnes.  In the past decade we have fired several unsuccessful volleyball coaches.  We just fired a soccer coach when that program regressed although it had a nice new field.  We will probably soon fire the softball coach (all hitting, no pitching) for the same reason.  All these moves are made at every Division I school in America.  But the great mystery is why men's basketball is treated DIFFERENTLY.  Why does it not matter if we don't win?  Why does it not matter if the stands are empty?  Why does it not matter that the public relations associated with men's basketball are terrible?  Until the university can explain this anomaly, they should expect nothing but ire or disinterest from the fan base.
IMO, you hit on the reason in your second sentence.  Slocum apparently did meet expectations.  Same as, let's say, the Browns go 4-12 the coach will be looked on as a savior, and if the Bronco's go 8-8 they'll be clamoring for the coach's head!   Look at my Thad Matta example.  He's won 20 games every year, but that also results in a raised bar. John Cooper, OSU FB HC, got fired for 3 straight 9-3 seasons.  Obvious the opposite can be true also.   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
This tread about $ / win is about the silliest thing I recall reading for quite a while. (At least since the banning of Paladin!)  Who is their right mind measures that?  Do you think JT sits down and says "well Slocum only cost #11K/win and that is good value, let's keep him"?  Come on, do you guys think like that?  And don't even think about telling me that JT isn't the AD and so he doesn't make that decision! 
Question is, do you have enough to offer to get a real quality young stud coach to come to Youngstown OH?  Sometimes there are factors other than just wins.  Every coach and school in the country demands over 50% wins, and presents an interesting math problem, doesn't it?  I saw a blog the other day questioning Thad Matta's coaching ability for failing to make the big dance!  How ridiculous is that?

I think the university expects more from a coach making $2 M per year vs a coach making $ 125 K per year. Since MBB plays about the same number of games per year, the university will base their judgment (in part) on number of wins per year. In essence, it is the return on investment (ROI). What so silly about that?