Author Topic: McFadden Wants the Job  (Read 10649 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
McFadden Wants the Job
« on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:24 PM »
Akron assistant coach McFadden was interviewed by TV21 this evening.  He stated that he is ready to be a head coach and wants the YSU job, citing his local ties.  I thought that this was a strange interview, given that the university has given no indication whatsoever that Slocum will be relieved of his duties.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
Re: McFadden Wants the Job
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:36:17 PM »
God, at this point I don't even care anymore. This team is absolutely sickening go watch. Anyone but Slocum. ANYONE.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
He is a winner and can bring hard nosed defense like Akron plays.   Akron is always physical and plays very smart.   Never beats themselves.   We need a coach like this.   Remember folks we just lost AGAIN tonight another embarrassing loss.  How much can we take from this awful coach slocum.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:22 PM »
THOSE WHO THINK SLOCUM SHOULD STAY AND IS DOING OK YOU NEED TO GET YOUR HEAD CHECKED AND QUICKLY

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 01:40:31 AM »
Slocum does not need to be dismissed. His contract is up this year, but I still think he probably has not had the team playing well enough for another extension. He may want to retire. I can tell you this much. He needs to go out in style. No scandals, no questions & let him be a part of the process of choosing a successor. He would be a very good fit as an assistant AD. They did not do things right DiGreggorio.

I still do not see this McFadden over what we already have.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
I went to Zips Nation to look for fan reaction to this developing story, and there was none......but I found this gem...and it is hilarious af.... ;D

http://zipsnation.org/forums/topic/35380-kent-haiku-old-new/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »
Sign him up. Young, talented fresh face. Has worked under Dambrot for awhile now and should have good recruiting ties. Time to shed the Slocum (loser) era for good.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
1AA Fan I respect you, but you are so off base on this one.  Let Slocum pick his successor is laughable.  He is around 80 games under .500, we have lost games this year by more than 50 once, and twice more than 30, and countless other blow outs.

What has he done in 11 years to show any improvement in the program.  He needs to go, all his assistants need to go, the entire marketing department should go.

The game at home vs UIC, there may have been 200 people there.  The program is at an all time low.   He looks miserable, and whats scary, from what I hear, he thinks he is doing a good job.   He has no clue.

As for a job as Assistant AD, he can join Rick Love and Robb Schmidt, and the rest of that creative marketing team.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:47:28 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »
Slocum has to leave or there be no one at the future games. He is 80 games under .500, but in reality he is much further under .500; if he didn't rack up 3 wins a year against division 2 and 3 teams.

If he doesn't go, there will be virtually no interest in the men's basketball team at YSU. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
He got his 700.  He's done.  Welcome McFadden.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
1AA Fan I respect you, but you are so off base on this one.  Let Slocum pick his successor is laughable.  He is around 80 games under .500, we have lost games this year by more than 50 once, and twice more than 30, and countless other blow outs.

What has he done in 11 years to show any improvement in the program.  He needs to go, all his assistants need to go, the entire marketing department should go.

The game at home vs UIC, there may have been 200 people there.  The program is at an all time low.   He looks miserable, and whats scary, from what I hear, he thinks he is doing a good job.   He has no clue.

As for a job as Assistant AD, he can join Rick Love and Robb Schmidt, and the rest of that creative marketing team.

I agree almost everyone having to do with this basketball team needs to be gone except the players: Coaching staff and marketing/PR team. It's s shame to only see a few hundered people in the seats. Games have the atmosphere of a middle school boys game; not a D1 college game! It's time to dump the pieces and start fresh.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:48:28 PM by Cimo7 »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Slocum does not need to be dismissed. His contract is up this year, but I still think he probably has not had the team playing well enough for another extension. He may want to retire. I can tell you this much. He needs to go out in style. No scandals, no questions & let him be a part of the process of choosing a successor. He would be a very good fit as an assistant AD. They did not do things right DiGreggorio.

True. He doesn't need to be dismissed because his contract ends after this season.  Going out in style? Yes. I hope he wins his last game at home against NKU.  Leave on a winning note.  It's fine with me if the evening is called, "Jerry Slocum Night" and he is presented with a plaque at halftime, but then he must go in every way he can.  Assistant AD?  The Athletic Department has enough incompetence, which is in fact what lead Slocum to even remaining at YSU for 11 years.  I like Tressel, but he needs to clean up the embarrassment we refer to as the Athletic Department, because the buck stops at his desk.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »

That might be the most laughable statement ever posted on this site. You cannot be serious I hope....

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
He got his 700.  He's done.  Welcome McFadden.

This is just what I am talking about. People talk about the good old boy club, then anoint someone because they have local ties. What is the difference? I expect someone better than McFadden. McFadden will expect thrice what we are paying Slocum and I would expect more for that price.

So if you are willing to pay, there is better out there. If not, we already have the same type of candidate (assuming we need one & he wants it) on staff.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »
Not at all. You need an administrator in each of your major men's sports of FB & MBB. In most schools it is even more. Then you need at least one person in women's sports. With Title-IX, one is not going to be enough.

We have an overall Director AD, a women's Director AD which are good. Then we have the following Assistant AD's:

- Another Associate Director AD External Operations (really marketing)
- Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and Promotions & broadcasting
- Penguin Club and Baseball Administration (finally a sport focus).
- Sales & Event Management and M&W Basketball (another sports focus)
- Scholarships and NCAA compliance. sport administrator for volleyball and golf (M&W).
-  Compliance, tennis programs, swimming and diving