Author Topic: Sarah Dowd Named Horizon League Softball Player of the Week  (Read 3966 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Sarah Dowd Named Horizon League Softball Player of the Week
« on: February 17, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
Indianapolis, Ind. -- Youngstown State junior outfielder Sarah Dowd has been named the Horizon League Player of the Week, the league announced on Monday.

Last week, Dowd led the Penguins to a 2-1 record during the season's opening weekend with wins over Toledo, 4-3, and Massachusetts, 9-8.

Dowd batted .444 (4-for-9) with a triple, two home runs, six RBIs, a 1.333 slugging percentage and an on-base percentage of .583.

Against Toledo, Dowd went 3-for-3 with a triple and a walkoff two-run home run the bottom of the seventh inning.

Dowd also hit a grand slam in the 9-8 win over Massachusetts. It marked Dowd's third career grand slam and she is the only player in school history with more than one career grand slam.

She also has 20 career home runs and became just the fifth player in school history with at least 20 homers.

The Penguins are back in action against Lehigh, Friday, Feb. 26, at 11 a.m. at the UNC-Greensboro Tournament.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Dowd Named Horizon League Softball Player of the Week
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
Way to go girls!  (young women, sorry!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »
Women is now a misogynist term.....it's now womyn  :D  (only partially kidding)
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
You got me here, Nation.
Oh, and I'll bet somebody doesn't like using "young" either since we don't usually use the word when describing the men’s teams.   
From now on I’ll go the politically correct route and call the male players “dudes” and the female players “chicks,” that should satisfy everybody!  (and please don’t tell me it should be femaly players, since we don't like words ending in male!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
You got me here, Nation.
Oh, and I'll bet somebody doesn't like using "young" either since we don't usually use the word when describing the men’s teams.   
From now on I’ll go the politically correct route and call the male players “dudes” and the female players “chicks,” that should satisfy everybody!  (and please don’t tell me it should be femaly players, since we don't like words ending in male!)

"Dude and dudettes"  Oh wait, Penguinettes  is not acceptable anymore either.