Author Topic: Vargo: State of the YSU basketball programs  (Read 12462 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vargo: State of the YSU basketball programs
« on: December 23, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/id/651613/State-of-the-YSU-basketball-programs.html?nav=5414

Nice article John:

By JOHN VARGO - Tribune Chronicle

YOUNGSTOWN - For the second straight year, the Youngstown State University women's basketball team is out to a magnificent start.

YSU won its first 10 games last season and is out to a 9-1 start this campaign.

John Barnes, who is in his third season with the Penguins team, has helped bring this young team around to a point not many people, including yours truly, thought they'd be this season.

YSU has been to the Horizon League conference semifinals two out of the last three seasons, coinciding with two WNIT appearances and 20-plus win campaigns.

YSU Executive Director of Athletics Ron Strollo said the Penguins have been fun to watch - a team which was ranked as high as seventh in the RPI rankings prior to the team's first loss at Penn State. It was a game in which YSU shot 4-of-23 from 3-point range. The Penguins shoot better from long distance, it's a much different game against a Big Team team struggling to reach .500.

The Penguins have won three straight since then and have at least 15 3-pointers in two of their last three games.

"It's fun to see those type of things. They've been lights out," Strollo said.

Barnes is 45-28 in his third season at YSU, but if the Penguins make another run to the league semifinals or beyond, some Mid-American Conference or higher-level teams might court Barnes to come coach their programs.

Ohio coach and former YSU mentor, Bob Boldon, took a Penguins team which went 0-30 in the 2009-10 season and transformed it into a 23-10 team by the 2012-13 season and guided YSU to the second-round of the WNIT.

Having successful coaches leave for other coaching positions is a sign of a good mid-major program like YSU. I'm not saying Barnes is leaving. I have a strong feeling he'd like to see this team win a Horizon League championship and get back to the NCAA Tournament before he moves on to another position. It's said a coach wants to leave a program in better shape than he found it. I'm sure Barnes will follow that protocol.

"It says a lot of what the coaches before them have done," Strollo said. "That's something we know we'll have to deal with at some point. At the end of the day, we want to do what's best for our student-athletes and for this university."

The Penguins men's team is coming off an 11-21 season in which they went 2-14 in the Horizon League. YSU started this season 0-4 but is now 5-6.

"Obviously, we've had some really close games in Florida Gulf Coast, Bowling Green," Strollo said. "And the American game we felt should've been ours on the men's side. It would've made a difference in our record."

That American game was atrocious to say the least. No way you squander a 10-point halftime lead to a one-win team. It's a game even YSU men's coach Jerry Slocum brought up after last week's win against Geneva, a contest that still bothers the Penguins mentor. As well it should.

YSU has had success a couple of seasons ago with guard Kendrick Perry - winning at least 15 games his sophomore through senior seasons, including an 18-16 season when YSU went to the second round of the CIT Tournament also paced by former Warren G. Harding standout Damian Eargle.

The stretch when YSU went 15-17, 18-16 and 16-15 was the first time the Penguins had three straight 15-win seasons since 1982-85 under former coach Mike Rice Sr., a current color analyst for the Portland Trail Blazers.

Last season Perry graduated and YSU lost its second leading scorer Ryan Weber when he transferred to Ball State, closer to his Indianapolis home. Those two losses, especially the Weber transfer, decimated the Penguins last season.

"Unfortunately we took a step backward, but the three previous years we've had 15 (or more) wins three straight years," Strollo said. "We took a step back because we lost Kendrick Perry and had another kid transfer that really hurt us. We feel the nucleus (Slocum) brought in this year is going to be a strong nucleus for us in the future."

Offensively, this year's team is talented. Not as much as the 18-16 season, but it's getting there. The amount of 3-point shooters have been the most I've seen for a Slocum-coached team, which does open up the inside game. The thing the Penguins have to do is capitalize on their chances in the paint, or teams will snuff our their outside shooters and dare them to throw inside. YSU needs to be a dual threat going forward.

As for the team's defense, it's getting better, something I wouldn't dare to say at the beginning of the season. Granted it was against a Division III team like Geneva, but YSU showed some trapping pressure defense, which was refreshing to see. Hopefully, we'll see more of that style of play in the Horizon League.

As for Slocum, his contract ends after this season. However, the university can exercise a one-year option on the contract for the 2016-17 season. According to the wording in the contract, "The option to extend the contract for an addition year will be determined by the University President (Jim Tressel) after consultation with the Executive Director of Athletics (Strollo)."

Strollo said he would not address the situation at this time.

However, he would talk about how the Penguins men's program is able to effectively use its basketball budget. According to bbstate.com, YSU's budget ranked 279th out of 349 in the country in 2014 and was ranked last in the Horizon League. League's budgets in 2014: Detroit $2,566,349, Milwaukee $2,264,818, Cleveland State $2,315,514, Wright State $2,308,740, Valparaiso $2,116,074, Illinois-Chicago $1,858,722, Oakland $1,856,790, Green Bay $1,692,496, Northern Kentucky $1,289,118, and YSU $1,229,401.

"You feel really good about some of the teams we're playing and what they're spending and see what kind of job our coaches are doing and our student-athletes are doing and feel what we're doing makes a lot of financial sense, but our kids are having great experiences," Strollo said.

He's pleased about the makeup of both programs. Strollo is enjoying how both teams are blending together considering a good portion of both teams are freshmen and sophomores.

But there's something more to these teams that intrigues Strollo.

"The best part of it, what the fans don't see, is what great kids on both sides - both the boys and the girls are wonderful kids and a lot of fun to be around when they're not the court," he said.

It also helps both teams are having success, in varying degrees, on the court as well.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vargo: State of the YSU basketball programs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »
Shameless sophistry.

"Last season Perry graduated and YSU lost its second leading scorer Ryan Weber when he transferred to Ball State, closer to his Indianapolis home."

The article leaves the reader with the impression that one guy left because he is homesick.  It leaves out the exodus of other players who transfered out (Keene, Vaugn), and misleads the reader about Weber's reasons for leaving.  He didn't even know where he was going (although speculated it may be closer to Indy)....just that he wanted to leave YSU, and said, "I wanted to make sure I am at a place where I can get the best out of myself and have some fun."  In other words, the decision to leave a bad situation came first, and the decision of where to transfer to was secondary. 

Here is a Jambar (the last hope for local objective journalism?) article titled, "‘I WASN’T REALLY HAPPY HERE’: WEBER SPEAKS OUT ABOUT LEAVING YSU."

http://www.thejambar.com/i-wasnt-really-happy-here-weber-speaks-out-about-leaving-ysu/

Scalzo once wrote a defense of Strollo, which was a propaganda piece, and not a quest for the truth.  The local media has ZERO credibility.  IDK if the Athletic Department threatens limited access for honest reporting, or what the reasons are for...but the end result is the same.....a lack of accountability regarding the sorry state of the MBB program and our inept AD.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:03:22 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
Yes, we can put that one right next to the article on fictitious moon landing anniversary. LOL How come you leave out the altercation that caused this? So whom is the one that is shameless Nation? Anyone with a media pass, fax and/or email can receive general releases from the university ...I get them every day. This article is on the pleasant surprises we have for 2015-16 YSU basketball. Most of the bottom is quotes from Strollo ...if he is not a shameless promoter than who is supposed to be? Vargo is a very good writer & more of a sports writer than many ...his focus has always been basketball. He knows more about YSU basketball that I will ever remember. He is the kind of writer that talks about the game.

BTW. I send more nasty email to the Jambar than any other paper. They have bad articles, sometimes even cut-throat and these kids are supposed to be learning ...yet they are being taught trash journalism. You know the kind that is more about opinion than English. Vargo simply mentioned how hard those two player-losses hurt the program. You hate Slocum and Strollo ...and want every writers bye-line to say the same. Again ...who should be ashamed?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »
The state of the MBB program will be in much better hands once Slocum and coaches are gone.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 05:52:52 PM »
Yes, we can put that one right next to the article on fictitious moon landing anniversary. LOL How come you leave out the altercation that caused this? So whom is the one that is shameless Nation? Anyone with a media pass, fax and/or email can receive general releases from the university ...I get them every day. This article is on the pleasant surprises we have for 2015-16 YSU basketball. Most of the bottom is quotes from Strollo ...if he is not a shameless promoter than who is supposed to be? Vargo is a very good writer & more of a sports writer than many ...his focus has always been basketball. He knows more about YSU basketball that I will ever remember. He is the kind of writer that talks about the game.

BTW. I send more nasty email to the Jambar than any other paper. They have bad articles, sometimes even cut-throat and these kids are supposed to be learning ...yet they are being taught trash journalism. You know the kind that is more about opinion than English. Vargo simply mentioned how hard those two player-losses hurt the program. You hate Slocum and Strollo ...and want every writers bye-line to say the same. Again ...who should be ashamed?

Since you brought it up:

http://www.space.com/12835-nasa-apollo-moon-landing-sites-photos-lro.html

Cool pics, eh?

Everyone knows about the "altercation", which per the version of events I've read about, was an assault during a MBB practice.  It was likely reflective of a lack of discipline, a lack of control of the team, and even poor screening of a recruit's character.  Once it happened, Keene should have been kicked off the team, and even expelled from the University. 

In any event, the "altercation" reinforces my point that the YSU MBB program is, and has been, an embarrassment from every perspective.....and yet...the same faces reappear season after season.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
Even if what you say is true, you miss the better point. That is many of us do care and yes enjoy watching basketball at YSU. So give your hatred a rest. You say the same thing over and over ...it means absolutely nothing at this point.

This article is designed to stimulate real conversation.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Get a life Penguin Nation. Your hatred flows. Slocum is not leaving. He is a pillar and a good fortune for the guidance of the men's program. He will leave when he is ready on his terms. He is the right hand senior advisor I would say of the athletic program. There is so much that has gone on that you will never be aware of and you need not ever will find out about this man and coach.  He has been and will continue to be the elder statesman of the department.  By the way there are details of the altercation incident that will never be revealed including a betrayal of an individual's word to the coach.  Can't and won't say more.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
You guys are the haters....of success.

Sure......defend a HC who has finished either 9th or 10th place in the HL 5/10 seasons.  Get PO'ed that someone might have the audacity to suggest there might be a brighter future for the MBB program.

The Slocum record of failure, exodus of talent, empty stands, and lack of revenue generation is there for all to see.  Knowing this...he is now the "elder statesman." Unreal.  I suppose Cindy Martin was an asset to the WBB program because she "ran a clean program" or some such thing.

It is amazing how many cheerlead for failure.  You guys (and the spineless media) really are the Athletic Department's worst enemy.  No progress will be made until accountability occurs.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »
You guys are the haters....of success.

Sure......defend a HC who has finished either 9th or 10th place in the HL 5/10 seasons.  Get PO'ed that someone might have the audacity to suggest there might be a brighter future for the MBB program.

The Slocum record of failure, exodus of talent, empty stands, and lack of revenue generation is there for all to see.  Knowing this...he is now the "elder statesman." Unreal.  I suppose Cindy Martin was an asset to the WBB program because she "ran a clean program" or some such thing.

It is amazing how many cheerlead for failure.  You guys (and the spineless media) really are the Athletic Department's worst enemy.  No progress will be made until accountability occurs.

Now that's a solid argument. The facts speak for themselves.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
Vargo is  known as a long time shill for YSU and always covers Strollo's butt. Anytime he has an opinion, it isn't worth reading .  The long time trouble at YSU has always started at the top. Until it  is removed, nothing much will change.

Happy New Year.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
This a a frustrating topic but facts are facts.  I want to cheer for Slocum.  He seems to be a decent man and I'm sure he wants to win more than all of us.  If we base his historical tenure on wins and losses it doesn't bode well for the future.  The best season was 2011-2012 which was 18-16 and a 6th place finish in the Horizon.
YSU is consistently in the bottom of the league and a couple of seasons in the middle.

The crowds are embarrassing at Beeghley.  The place was packed(not all games but many) in the 70s during the Jeff Covington era.

The exodus of players transferring out happens at a lot of schools but in our case losing Ryan Webber and Marcus Keene really hurt.  You cannot have that type of talent leave.  Starters who have top scoring potential.

Who do we blame ? 
Slocum
AD
President
Budget
City of Youngstown

Should we be in a lesser conference than the Horizon ?

You can't be in last place year after year and then go to the middle of the pack and feel good about the program to then fall back to the bottom.  Someone has to be held accountable and the press has to ask the hard questions of why our men's program cannot compete for league titles.

Before I die (I'm 55) I would love the Penguins to win their conference and make the NCAA tournament. 
Trust me there are a lot more important things in life than the YSU b-ball but it would sure be nice if we can make a name for our community on the hard wood.  If a depressed city like Detroit can have a competitive team than why not Youngstown ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:51:55 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »
ufc: At least you ask the right questions and have opinions that are more than "throw out the baby". I do not really agree with the 1970's reference though ...we were a DII club, with a football team sponsoring no more than about a 1/2-dozen sanctioned scholarships. Some of you expert old-timers help me out here. Up until the supreme court ruled that basketball players could go directly to the pros; were there not unlimited needs-based scholarships for basketball?

Paladin "Shill"? If I have the time, I would dig back and find your numerous comments on John Vargo's supposed past bias for Kent. The truth is that you are going to hate anyone and anything that does not trash YSU; that is simply what you are.
PS: There is no opinion in the article ...which was my point in the first place ...so again ...good article. Although his comments on Barnes could be taken as opinion, they are backed with facts.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 10:41:55 PM »
IAA fan.  I had season tickets from 1974 through 1978.  When we played Akron or Gannon the place was filled.   I think the capacity was 6000 and it was loud.   I could name and bore you with every player on those teams.  The lower levels were filled even when we played Kenyon or Steubenville.  There's no doubt(maybe i'm bias) that players like Frank Andrews,Gerald Parks and Tony Mitchell would be better than what our roster are today.

Youngstown had a larger population which might be a factor.   No one that I knew ever said a bad word about Coach Roselli.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 10:43:37 PM »

Who do we blame ? 
Slocum
AD
President
Budget
City of Youngstown

Not just YSU, not just basketball but I would think that standard for acceptable success would be set from the top down, starting with the trustees.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
^^^Agree.

If an organization has an under-performing employee, 0% of the time it is the employee's fault, and 100% of the time it is the employer's fault.

The President, and the BOT have been negligent in this aspect of University operations.  MBB has a $1.3M annual budget that has been squandered.

A successful organization practices "excellence in all things."  If we don't have the funding to compete in the HL in MBB (an often used argument I don't agree with), then we need to be in a conference we can afford to compete in.  From a fiscal perspective, you need to succeed (or at least try to) in your revenue generating sports.  To be a known and consistent failure in anything is a blemish on the entire University.

As an example, my daughter selected a University partially based on the "full college experience" which included athletics.  Some students may not chose a school that has a laughingstock MBB program that plays in front of empty stands.  Instead, they may chose a school where they can get rowdy in the stands with their buddies.