Author Topic: Penguins Pick Up Impressive 99-58 Win Over Geneva  (Read 10131 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penguins Pick Up Impressive 99-58 Win Over Geneva
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »
The Youngstown State men's basketball team used a solid all-around effort to pick up a 99-58 win over Geneva on Tuesday night at the Beeghly Center. YSU shot 58.2 percent from the field and had 28 steals in the contest.

With the win, YSU improves to 5-6 on the season while Geneva falls to 0-8.

Leading the way offensively was Sidney Umude who finished with a career-high 21 points. Umude was one of four Penguins reach double figures against the Golden Tornadoes. Matt Donlan had 15 points, Cameron Morse had 14 and Bryce Nickels added 10.

Umude was was 7-of-9 from field and 7-for-9 from the free-throw line. Donlan was 6-of-9 for the game, including 3-of-4 from beyond the 3-point arc.

Jordan Andrews had six steals to lead the defensive effort. Umude, Francisco Santiago, Latin Davis and Morse each had four steals on the night.

YSU made its first seven field-goal attempts of the second half and scored the first 17 points of the period to seize control and never looked back.

The lead surpassed 30 for the first time when Umude scored at the 17:23 mark to put the Penguins ahead 61-30, and a Andrews steal and bucket put the Penguins ahead 72-32 with 15:09 remaining. YSU's biggest lead of the night was 86-43.

The 28 steals were just two shy of the school mark of 30 set against Central State on Dec. 15, 1997.

YSU made 39-of-67 shots from the field (58.2 percent) and the bench contributed 41. The Guins had 44 points off turnovers and scored on the fast break.

In the first half, the Penguins shot 61.3 percent and limited the Golden Tornadoes to just 38.2 percent from the floor. However, the Penguins committed 10 turnovers that ledto 10 points for Geneva. YSU also forced 11 Geneva turnovers and scored 18 points off of those miscues.

Umude scored 15 points in the first half on 6-of-7 shooting from the field while Donlan made 4-of-5 from the floor, including a pair of 3-pointers.

The Penguins made seven of their first 10 shots to take an 18-4 lead less than seven minutes into the game. Umude had a quick six points and Donlan hit two 3-pointers and dunk to spark the early run.

Geneva made just two of its first 11 field-goal attempts but cut deficit to 20-8 at the 12:26 mark. YSU's fourth 3-pointer in the first 10 minutes put the Penguins up 26-8, and YSU upped its lead to 20 on a Davis steal and layup with 10:15 left.

Geneva missed its first 10 attempts from 3-point range, but its first of the game by Jordan Lawrence with 9:23 left sparked a 13-0 run that got the Golden Tornadoes with six at 29-23 with 5:47 left.

YSU answered with an 11-0 run that Brett Frantz capped with a 3-pointer at the 3:53 mark, and YSU led 49-30 at the intermission. The 49 points marked a first-half scoring high for the Penguins.

Youngstown State visits Michigan, Saturday, Dec. 19. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. at the Crisler Center in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins Pick Up Impressive 99-58 Win Over Geneva
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »
"impressive" ...That had to come from the SI office  ;D

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:28:32 AM »
I was thinking the same thing...its Geneva guys, relax.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
I was thinking the same thing...its Geneva guys, relax.
Boy, we THUMPED MIGHTY GENEVA.................Oh, sorry, I thought it was Michigan State. 
Actually the performance against Purdue was much more impressive. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
Talk to me when we beat Valpo or Cle St by forty points.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 12:29:13 PM »
Yes, but coach S has been on the team to "finish the job" since the loss to American. I am happy to see the consistent play and the ability for everyone to play. Just part of the maturation process.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »
Yes, but coach S has been on the team to "finish the job" since the loss to American. I am happy to see the consistent play and the ability for everyone to play. Just part of the maturation process.
This team is already noticeably better than the naysayers were blogging before the season!  Wonder where they all are now?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 05:51:27 PM »
We all know it was only GC but the boys did their job by pounding a lower division school.  Let's not forget the football team had to go in ot to beat Robert Morris.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:49:38 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
As always, a tough crowd on here. Hey we beat the crap out of a team we should have beat the crap out of. Why do you want to down play it? It's a win, enjoy it people.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
What happened Saturday is why most Penguin fans don't get very excited about a 40 point win over a win-less D3 team.  Only 20 games left with JS at the helm.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
What happened Saturday is why most Penguin fans don't get very excited about a 40 point win over a win-less D3 team.  Only 20 games left with JS at the helm.

Lol so true.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:00:08 PM »
I love people who think if they just assume something and then talk about it, it will happen. Heck if we dumped serious cash into basketball I would be ecstatic to see what Slocum could do with it. I bet you quite a bit. This team is young & talented, I would love to see what a couple of years does. Also until I see a couple of seasons of football success we had better have no change at the helm of MBB, unless Slocum decides to retire. In which case, Michael Wernicki will do just fine and he well-deserves his shot.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
I love people who think if they just assume something and then talk about it, it will happen.

It's not just wishful thinking.  If the plan was for JS to be here next season, they would've signed him to an extension during the off-season.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »
Yes and if the plan was to dismiss him, they would have done that as well. So, again he can stay or go ...it will be his decision and should that happen then I like Wernicki as he is more than qualified and would not expect $500k.

He can continue to move this team in the direction they were recruited for. I suspect that those that need to know coach S's future ...already do. The same thing happened with coach Heacock. He told administration that he was going to get the team to the post-season in the 3-years of his term or he would not seek a renewal and Strollo held him accountable. Although I will admit that Wernicki has been more active as of late (started last last season); that could be telling. However, it could simply mean that Slocum lost his voice again.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
I cannot guess what goes on in Strollo's hamster wheel brain, but it is possible that it was deemed cost-prohibitive to buy out the remainder of Jerry's contract.  If performance and competency matters, it should have been at least contemplated after compiling a 0.294 HL winning % over a 10 year period (0.125 last season).

I suppose D3 Geneva is on the schedule for sentimentality's sake for Jerry, as well as to pad the schedule. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen