Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 170523 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »
Yo -- he may work out but needs work and development  . Maybe a player at this   level and maybe not. Not a lock.

If they don't get down to Florida and sign some kids, this class will be questionable.

All those athletes that Wolf got out of Florida really worked out the last couple years, huh?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
London Pearson has committed to YSU.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »
And how MANY of those kids START over local or Ohio or Pa players  ? Wolf won 8 games with those players and had increasing wins over the years.  Bo had 5 and a losing record. Hello ? I'm already on record in saying that Bo's first recruiting class was a stinker. Another, and I assure you, the program sinks, just as it did with  Heacock who recruited  poorly. Ohio is over-recruited. So is Pa.  Both are well picked over. Florida has an overflow of athletes among the tops in the nation. If you expect Bo to recruit locally and win you are sadly going to be disappointed royally. The Ytown area really sucked this year and wasn't much better last year.  Jucos and transfers may   be  the only way to avoid a huge   hole in the program.  We will revisit this when the NLOID are announced.

Its funny how some of you call yourselves fans and promote  this crap, expecting the program to improve. Clueless you are.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:12:56 PM by paladin »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2016, 06:09:23 PM »
Ruiz? Jameel Smith? Can't name any others besides them... How can you knock Bo for his record year 1? Or any coach for that matter. You always have to take the first 2 years with a grain salt until the head coach gets his coaches, players and style of play ingrained in the program. I agree with you the better athletes are down in FL, but at this level of football, you don't need as many athletes as you do "football" players. Just my two cents.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2016, 08:07:44 PM »
And how MANY of those kids START over local or Ohio or Pa players  ? Wolf won 8 games with those players and had increasing wins over the years.  Bo had 5 and a losing record. Hello ? I'm already on record in saying that Bo's first recruiting class was a stinker. Another, and I assure you, the program sinks, just as it did with  Heacock who recruited  poorly. Ohio is over-recruited. So is Pa.  Both are well picked over. Florida has an overflow of athletes among the tops in the nation. If you expect Bo to recruit locally and win you are sadly going to be disappointed royally. The Ytown area really sucked this year and wasn't much better last year.  Jucos and transfers may   be  the only way to avoid a huge   hole in the program.  We will revisit this when the NLOID are announced.

Its funny how some of you call yourselves fans and promote  this crap, expecting the program to improve. Clueless you are.

Tell us something that we did not figure out back in 2005. Mr. football-101. You have a knack for always stating the obvious, telling sus that we do not agree & then telling us that you were right.
FYI Ohio and PA have lots of talent. Youngstown HS scene does not.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Paladin, you've lost me.  Are you saying we can't win if we don't have more players from FL on our roster?  Seriously, even you don't actually believe that, do you?  There are quality players in every state, and I'll bet with some time I could pick a roster of players from any of maybe 45 states that could win a national title.  Certainly Ohio and PA produce enough players if you get your pick.   You don’t “need” any Florida players.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2016, 01:23:12 PM »
IF Bo goes without Fla. players, I'll be issuing the warning that the losing seasons are about to start. Certainly you don't "need" all Fla. players. But you "do" need  them. Ohio  is well picked over and most of the players that are FCS types go to the MAC. Pa is similar with many W. Pa players going MAC.

The Youngstown days are over.  The "Metro" area is down to under 600k now, multiple sports have taken out some athletes, the competitive level is down with much smaller schools  dominating as the  larger  schools have dropped enrollment and what talent is left is dominated by D-III- II types. D-Is   are few with fewer going big major and most going MAC type programs.  Most players weren't even born when YSU was  in their  heyday. Few area players now make much impact at YSU.

Make no mistake, I doubt Bo's recruiting ability and said so when he was hired. His first class here was a stinker. The next one will set the tone for immediately down the road. From my view, only Jucos and transfers will save him  now.  Or Fla players.

We'll see

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
I took a good look at the best team ever to pay FCS football and you know what I see?  TONS of players from Minn.  Yes a couple from FL (2) but mostly MINN.  Using your logic, I believe we should abandon our current recruiting efforts and concentrate on Minn. and secondly Wis. because that's where the best 1AA players are from! 
Paladin, you write this stuff like it is known fact and it simply isn't fact. 
"The Youngstown days are over” What does that mean, no good players will ever come from YO again?  Seriously? 
"The "Metro" area is down to under 600k now,"  WHAT???  What metro area is 600K, Cleveland?  CERTAINLY not Youngstown and it never was anything close to that.  Just more made up crap.

"Most players weren't even born when YSU was in their heyday"
Well NDSU was nobody when every single player they have was growing up.  You can build a program that doesn't rely on past history.  Look at App. State a few years ago, nowhere to greatness in 2 years.  While this comment of yours is technically correct it is total irrelevant.
IMO your blanket statements like “MAC type programs” etc. are inane comments.  Meant to confuse and distract from the nonessential content of your post.
“We’ll see”
At least you end with a statement that we all can agree on!  Yes we will.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
The "Metro" area is a commercial designation for Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana and Mercer Counties ( the Valley) for investment/commercial purposes and used to be well over 700k at one time.

Don't have a stroke ;D

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »
FL is a much more populous state than Ohio, and has one less FBS program than Ohio....and HS FB is big here.  Makes sense it is ripe for recruitment.

Look at this map of FBS schools:

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/topic/48684-nice-fbs-map/

Look at how empty the entire Dakota region is, and how NDSU has no FBS schools to compete with.  Sure MN and NE take the top talent, but the G5 competition is nonexistent.

UNI and USD just joined NDSU in offering FCOA schollies (Liberty also does FWIW).  The MAC offers FCOA.  I don't see how we elevate the program to a top FCS program again without also offering it for FB, like we do for MBB and WBB.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
Pally doubts Pelini's recruiting ability. I checked the past 6 or 7 yrs there was like 20 players or more that were drafted in the NFL under his watch at Nebraska a bunch are playing.  So you are full of sh**.  You are a wanna be and a hater.  Pelini admitted that last year class was trying to address depth issues.  Your guy Wolford recruited a lot of pretenders but you like a lot of his recruits and I remember you saying years ago that Hess wouldn't be that good of a QB.  Every town has a village idiot and I am starting to think your our boards idiot. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »
The "Metro" area is a commercial designation for Trumbull, Mahoning, Columbiana and Mercer Counties ( the Valley) for investment/commercial purposes and used to be well over 700k at one time.

Don't have a stroke ;D
Football players are recruited one at a time, so some idiotic "metro" population of >700K or <600K doesn't mean a damn thing.  If there is a good player at say West Branch, you recruit him, and what the hell does the population of Youngstown have to whether or not you want to offer the kid from West Branch?  All this pseudo intellectual bullsh** of yours is tiring.  "MAC type programs" and "metro populations" doesn't mean squat. 
You try to make is sound like coaching is easy and that recruiting is a science.  Just go to FL and sign a bunch of good players.  It isn’t easy to find, evaluate, recruit, and sign, than train, coach, and lead 60-80 college kids to a successful season.  Thank God we have a seasoned professional heading our program and not somebody who thinks like you!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2016, 10:10:21 PM »

Don't have a stroke ;D

Don't forget Lawrence.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2016, 10:38:59 PM »
Can't wait to see the class we get on national signing day! Its only 20 days away. Too bad I will be working a 12 hour shift that day and won't find out the news till later  :-[

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2016, 11:58:50 AM »
Too bad I will be working a 12 hour shift that day and won't find out the news till later  :-[

Not to worry about your work schedule.  Every class looks good on NSD, but the proof won't be for about 2 years.  With red-shirts etc. even the 1st year doesn’t mean much.  All these recruits that come in 6-2 210# LB's grow to 225# freshmen and 235# sophs don't really contribute for a couple years.   
Look at Shereif Bynum.  6-4 210 DL recruit from last year, was listed as a 235# freshman DL in 2015.  I don’t know this kid at all, and I don’t even know if he’s still with the program, but it will take him until at least his soph. year and 245# if he is ever going to contribute. 
Yes, there are Armand Dellovade’s that contribute right away, but not that many overall.  The guys like Paladin that write off a class as a bust after the freshman year, (mostly because not enough FL guys) don’t know what they are talking about.  These are kids and it takes most of them some time to develop.