Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 170222 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »
Let's be real Nation, Receivers did Wells know favors. Probably should've been closer to a 65 to 70% completion rate. More and more colleges however are going the Dual-threat route while NFL teams are in search of guys who can make complicated reads, difficult throws and stay healthy. Different schemes and systems require different players. This program is know where close to having those players to support a running Qb..it could take years

This is a really good point. Finally, someone mentioning style. Over the last 3-years, I have watched Montgomery "dumb-down" his offense and it has been less effective in terms of points. Now last year we really had no choice, as we had no power backs on offense & depleted O-Line. Prior to that it was a request from coach Wolf. Now we do have a better TOP and stronger second-half stats, but little else to show for it. So just how many changes do we want to make? I think we can score many more points with a bit more complexity & this means we need to recruit players with higher football IQ's.

Also, I do not feel it is that much of a stretch to infuse a more mobile QB into Montgomery's offense. Should not take long to make the adjustment. Indiana State and Jacksonville State both have mobile QB's with very similar styles of offense, compared to YSU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
Unless you have an all time great offensive line that's been together for 3-4 years and has the experience and the toughness to get through the season, you need a mobile QB to be successful in college. It just is how it's done now a days. You don't need Michael Vick out there, but you need someone who can escape pressure and run for a 1st down, make 1 defender miss and scramble outside the pocket. Wells has a hard time getting that done.

IF Hosick decides to join this program, I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »
Let's be real Nation, Receivers did Wells know favors. Probably should've been closer to a 65 to 70% completion rate. More and more colleges however are going the Dual-threat route while NFL teams are in search of guys who can make complicated reads, difficult throws and stay healthy. Different schemes and systems require different players. This program is know where close to having those players to support a running Qb..it could take years

This is a really good point. Finally, someone mentioning style. Over the last 3-years, I have watched Montgomery "dumb-down" his offense and it has been less effective in terms of points. Now last year we really had no choice, as we had no power backs on offense & depleted O-Line. Prior to that it was a request from coach Wolf. Now we do have a better TOP and stronger second-half stats, but little else to show for it. So just how many changes do we want to make? I think we can score many more points with a bit more complexity & this means we need to recruit players with higher football IQ's.

Also, I do not feel it is that much of a stretch to infuse a more mobile QB into Montgomery's offense. Should not take long to make the adjustment. Indiana State and Jacksonville State both have mobile QB's with very similar styles of offense, compared to YSU.

I think Monty and his complicated offense should go #twocents

This is what the current power in FCS uses to be sucessful,,,,

You have to recruit kids willing to play smash mouth football and no self glory attitudes just a one for all and all for one type attitude. Strength and conditioning are vital as well as the willingness of the team to stay year round and train as a team even when the coaches can not be a part of it.

Everyone now days wants to see the high octane spread offense on the field and too many schools spend too much time worrying about their offense and not enough on creating a strong D. Look at what NDSU runs for O the west coast offense which is power run and short passing. On D they run the Tampa 2. The D scheme is hard complicated to learn but so very effective to use.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »
I see we signed BILLY NICOE HURST, a JUCO CB SS from Contra Costa College, San Pablo, CA

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/845009/billy-nicoe-hurst

Don't recall seeing a HS College or NFL team with too many DB's!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2015, 02:45:44 PM »
Jacob Esarco, LB/DE from Canfield has been offered by YSU. 6-4, 225 pounds.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
Not to much to report on the recruiting front. Quarterback Trent Hosick did pick up his second offer from Charleston Southern. CSU enjoyed their best season ever and lost in the quarterfinals to Jacksonville St.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2016, 12:08:03 PM »
Not to much to report on the recruiting front. Quarterback Trent Hosick did pick up his second offer from Charleston Southern. CSU enjoyed their best season ever and lost in the quarterfinals to Jacksonville St.

Just a quick fact:

I see the Charleston Southern football stadium (Buccaneer Field) has a seating capacity of 4,000. That's equivalent to our D3 and/or D4 high school stadiums in the Valley. I'm not knocking CSU for this, just throwing out some numbers.

Advantage - YSU  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 12:17:00 PM by ysuseasonticket »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2016, 03:08:38 PM »
I have a feeling he is coming here!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »
I have a feeling he is coming here!
I do to..unless something crazy happens like Bo to LSU as the next D.C.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2016, 08:46:44 AM »
He isn't going anywhere
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
LSU hired someone from Wisconsin.  Bo didn't come here to leave in a year or 2.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
Thanks for the update YSUGO..I didn't catch that..was just going on what Dana had reported a day or so ago

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
Bo is a head coach.  I don't thing emotions would sit will with another HC on the sidelines.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
Cameron Mackey, a 5-10 ATH from North Marion (HS) in FL has been offered.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
Vitas Hrynkiewicz (JUCO) has committed and I'm assuming will be in running to be the new center next year.
Listed at 6-4, 305.