Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 171148 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »
Will Grier is transferring out of Florida. There are several other P5 QBs transferring.  JMU got Vad Lee. ISUr got Roberson.  Let's get ours.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »
Grier was suspended for a year for Peds by the NCAA he is eligible for reinstatement mid Oct 2016.  He is from NOrth Carolina I think.  We have zero chance of getting him. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
I think Greir can play right away, but has been suspended. So I suspect he will still stay FBS.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »
Grier can play as soon as Oct 15, 2016.....if he transfers to the FCS.  He has to sit out a year if he goes to another FBS program.  All he would miss at YSU would be the junk games, WVU, and only two MVFC games.  He could start for the final 6 MVFC games (a majority of the regular season) and the post-season.

He is a freshman and would have years of eligibility remaining.

Carson Wentz is an FCS/MVFC QB and is a top QB pro-prospect. IMO, a move to YSU, with BP as HC, makes a ton of sense.....if he stays off of the juice.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »
I don't get it; but ...

I do like that he is only a freshman, but I do not think he has the passing skills of Wells. Then again, he seems much more mobile, has good touch on the ball and has not had 2-years to hone his skills at the DI level. Let's put it this way ...I trust coach M (in choosing a QB) more so than I do coach Bo. So if Montgomery likes what he sees, then for now ...so do I. Welcome to Youngstown!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:47:34 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
.I trust coach M (in choosing a QB) more so than I do coach Bo. So if Montgomery likes what he sees, then for now ...so do I. Welcome to Youngstown!!

Didn't coach M also chose #pick 6?  Not the best record of choosing QBs since Big Ben.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2015, 10:30:15 AM »
I don't get it; but ...

I do like that he is only a freshman, but I do not think he has the passing skills of Wells. Then again, he seems much more mobile, has good touch on the ball and has not had 2-years to hone his skills at the DI level. Let's put it this way ...I trust coach M (in choosing a QB) more so than I do coach Bo. So if Montgomery likes what he sees, then for now ...so do I. Welcome to Youngstown!!
I think Trent will wait to see if he picks up any other offers before making a decision on YSU. Without question he would bring a element of toughness to the quarterback position. I still don't like the fact he gave his word to two different programs and backed out of his commitment. He was benched this season at AWC and replaced with a true freshman. His passing skills are know where close to that of Wells. The speed and complexity of Missouri conference defenses will be alot different then that in the Juco ranks and will take time for him to adjust . I to trust Shane's opinion with player personell. .then again this might be all Bo's decision. We will welcome Trent with open arms if he picks YSU. The fact that he did have offers from Missouri and BYU says alot. Sometimes the road through the Juco rankings isn't the easiest and I fully understand that. It can either help or hurt your cause
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 10:42:59 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2015, 10:34:47 AM »
All I need to see is at 2:07 in this video.  We have him this past year we beat Ill. State and NDSU.  Tough and can take a hit and sold out for that score!!  Unlike our current QB who fell in front of the goal line agains Ill. State and is a 0 threat to run the ball.  We need to land this kid...

http://www.hudl.com/v/DNZer

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2015, 12:01:45 PM »
All I need to see is at 2:07 in this video.  We have him this past year we beat Ill. State and NDSU.  Tough and can take a hit and sold out for that score!!  Unlike our current QB who fell in front of the goal line agains Ill. State and is a 0 threat to run the ball.  We need to land this kid...

http://www.hudl.com/v/DNZer

GO GUINS

I just got done watching that video and agree with you 100%.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »
He has not committed to YSU. Let's ease up on the expectations until he signs that LOI.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
So if he comes here who is out.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2015, 10:47:14 AM »
Well, you can argue if Wells can play or not, but Davis clearly can't so one way or the other, Ricky is out.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
Well, you can argue if Wells can play or not, but Davis clearly can't so one way or the other, Ricky is out.

Wells had a fair test...tons of opportunity to prove himself...and failed.  It would be absolutely insane to have him start next year.   Why, it would be like Jerry Slocum returning as MBB HC and hoping we win the HL.

Davis was rarely allowed to pass, and when he did, he did reasonably well.  He ran well.  The body of work is limited though, so we don't really know.  The MSU game was a wasted opportunity to evaluate him.  He should've started and played all 4 quarters.

Ricky has a higher passing efficiency than Wells.  http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind-all.pdf

Ricky, despite limited action, was our third leading rusher with 195 yards.  Wells...an eye opening minus 44 yards.

Rushing TDs?  Wells: zero (which happens when you drop your knee when you decide to not take a hit for the team).  Davis:  Four....again after very limited playing time.

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/teams/youngstownst?view=lineup

By every measure Davis >>> Wells.  Either way, one of the benefits of BP as HC is his ability to recruit a P5 transfer to YSU.  Maybe Trent is the answer, but I'd still be looking.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:28:25 AM by Penguin Nation »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »
Let's be real Nation, Receivers did Wells know favors. Probably should've been closer to a 65 to 70% completion rate. More and more colleges however are going the Dual-threat route while NFL teams are in search of guys who can make complicated reads, difficult throws and stay healthy. Different schemes and systems require different players. This program is know where close to having those players to support a running Qb..it could take years

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »
Fever, I agree.....tons of dropped balls.....it was hard to watch.......but Davis had a higher passing efficiency w/ the same receivers.