Author Topic: Penguin Game Day (at SIU)  (Read 50979 times)

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin Game Day (at SIU)
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
What is your definition of a good offense?
501 yards doesn't do that for you
31 points?
You do realize we scored more on Pitt than 5 of their 6 opponents...right?
Like I said the offense wasn't perfect tonight but 31 points should be enough to win a game.
Adequate special teams? 32 yards a punt is adequate?
Kicker can't get a touchback? Kicks it out of bounds?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
Defense "exceptional"? Did you watch the same game as I?

We made an average QB look like a star.
We twice let a receiver get behind us with 3 & 4 and long and gave up a TD. We blitzed both times.
We gave up huge yardage on every single 1st-down.

How is that exceptional? They played hard ..not well. Same can be said of the offense. Special teams was a disaster waiting to happen & today was the day. We were beat.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2015, 10:59:35 PM »
Facing #1 offense in mvfc and we run a trick play in ot

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2015, 11:06:13 PM »
 A trick play worked pretty well in the 2 pt conversion a few weeks ago. If he would have run the ball you would all be saying "Can't he come up with something better than that?" Remember the reason we were in overtime was because we gave up a 11 point lead with 5 min left in the game.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »
I just can't understand why you would bring the house on the long screen play that went for a TD..up 11deep in the 4th keep everything in front of you coaches..it's elementary and what you get paid to do..incredible

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2015, 11:10:14 PM »
Football Fever - Maybe we should blame that on Montgomery too! :o

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
Are you kidding me?  The defense kicked ass.  SIU only scored 25 (minus the pick 6 and the OT score). Only once this season were they held that low.  They put up 48 on Indiana and 73 against Misery.  They are the best offense in the best FCS conference, and the #4 offense in the FCS.

Yeah...special teams adequate..they didn't f up as bad as the offense.

The offense sucked.  Pick 6 once again created a hole the team couldn't crawl out of.  Last play of the game bizarre. Wells dumping passes because he is a statue.  Davis doesn't throw a single pass, basically telegraphing the play call to SIU.  Never took advantage of great field position early in the game.  Yeah...sucked.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2015, 11:32:59 PM »
Penguin Nation - I want what you are drinking!! 8)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
The offense turns the ball over too many times and as a result they are not good.  The special teams is horrendous.   The defense is not good enough to get the ball back and Hunter is guaranteed to throw a pick 6 in every game and he stares down every throw.

The offense sucks.  Stubbs is the best receiver and he is 5ft tall.  The receivers get no separation and the OL doesn't get a good push. Yes we had a couple big plays against a team with a bad secondary and poor overall defense. If our running backs weren't so athletic we wouldn't sniff 500 yards of offense.  We only get improvised yards on outside runs. SiU is not a good team.  We lost to a lower opponent.  We have the potential to play with anyone but we are so inconsistent  it is sickening and we aren't making progress right now.

But once again the turnovers were the difference.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:33:35 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2015, 08:37:05 AM »
We had the game won at 31-20 go early in the 4th qtr.  Then the wheels came off.  Montgomery went into his in prevent offense.  Instead of what got them the lead.  Wells is a vertical passing QB and the Salukis got burnt time and time again.  They had no answer to our passing came.  We had a 56% pct 3rd down conversion percentage vs their 42%.  We lost the game on that Stupid jailhouse blitz midway through the 4th qtr. Which tourched us for a long td.  Then the punting came was atrocious.  I like they put Davis in.  But They ran that to the ground.  Jody Webb needs to be called out too He is a fumbler.  Then that last play call with the trick play was a gem.  That is where Davis should have been.  I blame this game on Montogomery and Pelinis bro.  To blame the players on this one I don't buy it.  They can't veto stupid play calling and coaching. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
We had the game won at 31-20 go early in the 4th qtr.  Then the wheels came off.  Montgomery went into his in prevent offense.  Instead of what got them the lead.  Wells is a vertical passing QB and the Salukis got burnt time and time again.  They had no answer to our passing came.  We had a 56% pct 3rd down conversion percentage vs their 42%.  We lost the game on that Stupid jailhouse blitz midway through the 4th qtr. Which tourched us for a long td.  Then the punting came was atrocious.  I like they put Davis in.  But They ran that to the ground.  Jody Webb needs to be called out too He is a fumbler.  Then that last play call with the trick play was a gem.  That is where Davis should have been.  I blame this game on Montogomery and Pelinis bro.  To blame the players on this one I don't buy it.  They can't veto stupid play calling and coaching.
YSUGO just nailed it !! Couldn't have been said any better

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2015, 09:21:49 AM »
I agree. The game has been won after the 31-20 lead. All they had to do is to make SIU use up some time in their scoring drive. So, why call the all out blitz exposing yourself to. Quick score?
Webb was a poor decision maker. He could have easily made the first down instead throwing it into triple coverage whiles the receiver was running full speed near the sideline.
I like Using Davis. But they cannot put him in just to run the ball so the defense could lock onto him. I don't care if they call a passing play just to have him throw the ball out of bound or one the feet of the receivers just to keep the defense honest. Our offensive line was not good enough to block for him if the defense knew it was coming.
SIU out coach us. Wells was a much better passer with vertical passing and the slant route. He was bad in passing toward side line on the out routes.
Monty did not call too bad of a game, to be honest except of the last play of the game. Davis should have been in there. If the receivers were not open, ran for the first down to live for another play. That one was on the coaches who put the ball in the hands of the running back to throw the ball in a critical 4th down.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
I will also put the blame on the coaching staff. Not singling any out, but outside of a couple of turnovers, there is not much else you can just blame the players for in that one.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »
You have to give some credit to the players and the coaching staff.  They could have gave up after last week.  We went on the road and we took to overtime. We could easily have 2 more wins instead of 2 gut wrenching losses.  I do like the fact that Monty was calling plays from the field instead of upstairs. We have 4 more games if we can win 3 we can build on next year.  But I saw 100% effort last night I applaud them for that.  This team lacks playmakers on both sides of the ball and whatever scheme we are going to run either recruit that type of player that fits or change the scheme to fit your talent.  Pelini is an upgrade from Wolford I more ways than one.  We are 7 games in and it will take some patience.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
Our defense was just lit up for 460-yards and they "kicked a$$"? We gave up 139-yards on returns, that equates to 7-points (almost 10) right there. We gave up 2-leads in the game. ET, when you have 2-score lead you are supposed to chew clock. So if your precious defensive master did not give up 2 scores in less than 2.5 minutes, we would not have to worry about it.

I will be the first to admit that I did not like the way we had to punt late in the game, but its should not have mattered, the objective was to eat up clock or force SIU to use their TO's. Last week's offensive performance was bad. This week's was very poor executions and lack of players. Again our O-line was dominated in Q1 ...and then many time throughout the game. No excuses ...just facts. 6.6 yards per play and 507-yards of offense should win a game & that is not an OC issue.

Yo, you have to put the blame on the players. receivers did not get open, many more dropped passes, Wells making bad decisions, punts and kick terrible, line dominated early in Q1 ad Q3, then again late when SIU dug down deep we had no answer. Defense let players get past them all game because no-one stayed home.

I am not saying that we do not have problems on offense, but let's not make Stoops & Pelini out to be saints as DC's. Also, do we have a special teams coach? I do not like how much we have to deviate from our offensive style, but at least coach M was able to do it & get some productivity ...yet you people still complain. Let the guy fix his offense, let coach S & P work on the D and then let's see what needs to be done on special teams.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:18:01 AM by IAA Fan »