Author Topic: South Dakota - In Game  (Read 35137 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota - In Game
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2015, 06:37:41 PM »
If we had an offense this team could be dangerous.  The D is that good.
Good coaching for the D....  Watch out for onside kick...
Are you kidding me

This team is dangerous, and the offense is very dangerous. And news flash, this is the most talented team across the board in the last 5 years...
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »
The offense needs to clean it up, but lets be happy here. The defense is looking great! And we beat a team that is trending up, that we usually struggle against, by a large margin. Starting conference play 1-0 is nice.

Absolutely! A win is a win. And you have to be happy with the Defense for sure.. Only allowing 3 points, and should have been a goose egg.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:27 PM »
Bottom line is we won, and oh yes on the road.

This team has given us fits in the past but today they and their crowd were never really in the game.

We did not have to out score the other guys, defense won the day.

I thought that the offense was conservative, too conservative, but they got the job done.

Nice win, I am a happy and dry, camper.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
NE falling apart in the post -Pelini era.  Just lost to ILL....now 2-3.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »
I liked our D.  But I agree with Power.  Our off line isn't very athletic.  Plus it seems like a lot of times our center gets blown up a lot and a lot of drops by our receivers.  But that is a hard place to play and we won.  One week at a time get to November and win those games .  You won in November and you should get a playoff berth!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 08:33:33 PM »
The offense needs to clean it up, but lets be happy here. The defense is looking great! And we beat a team that is trending up, that we usually struggle against, by a large margin. Starting conference play 1-0 is nice.

Absolutely! A win is a win. And you have to be happy with the Defense for sure.. Only allowing 3 points, and should have been a goose egg.
Totally agree a win is a win and defense has been our weakness for years--last 2 games should've been goose eggs--glad to see you are still following the 'Guins.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 10:13:40 PM »
After watching the game. USD is still bad, very long way to go... Also, that broadcast made me feel like I was in the 80's!!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:51 PM »
After watching the game. USD is still bad, very long way to go... Also, that broadcast made me feel like I was in the 80's!!
It looked like the broadcast was shot in black and white first before being colorized. It reminded me of that piece of cheap plastic that was put in front of the black and white TV pretending to turn it into a color TV. It was awful.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
As far as the O-line:  I think Matt Bell missed some reads, but that happens with a back-up center that hasn't had playing time (or any player).  Also had a new LT the whole game. I know the starting D was upset about missing two shutouts in a row, but I think playing your two deep is important.  USD threat was nearly non-existent in the 2nd half.  Any word on why Strickland didn't play? 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2015, 12:10:30 AM »
A four touchdown victory in a league game on the road.  Certainly the largest margin of victory in a stinkin' dome in our history.  Reading these comments, I guess I should be angry.  Why am I happy this evening.

As Scarlet just noted, playing without your starting center can mess up everything on that o-line.  We not only missed reads but also had numerous high snaps.  Many running plays had the timing blown up by such snaps.

Keep in mind that Williams dropped a long, sure-fire touchdown pass and we dropped a sure-fire pick six again.  The score could easily have been 45-10 (remember South Dakota dropped a touchdown pass on the first series.) 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2015, 12:20:18 AM »
 You are correct Wick, but no discredit to Bell.  Good evidence why 2 deep need game time experience.
On any given play the may become the starter.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »
A four touchdown victory in a league game on the road.  Certainly the largest margin of victory in a stinkin' dome in our history.  Reading these comments, I guess I should be angry.  Why am I happy this evening.

As Scarlet just noted, playing without your starting center can mess up everything on that o-line.  We not only missed reads but also had numerous high snaps.  Many running plays had the timing blown up by such snaps.

Keep in mind that Williams dropped a long, sure-fire touchdown pass and we dropped a sure-fire pick six again.  The score could easily have been 45-10 (remember South Dakota dropped a touchdown pass on the first series.)

Wick,

If we don't get the OL fixed we will not beat the best teams in the league. Our 3 receivers are getting very little separation and the QB has plateaued.  Play calling has been poor at best. We left 50 points on the table.  We won't be able to do that against the best and win.  Also concerned about LB play and QB containment.  If we play a mobile QB we will need to pray that we knock him out of the game.  Next week may prove my point.  I hope we were holding back, but too many signs say we weren't.  Love everything I see on DL and DB's.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:17:33 AM by penguinpower »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »
Some of the anger on here towards the Offense, Montgomery, and Wells is just ridiculous. A few numbers to digest in Virginia Tech's latest loss to Pitt. Rushing 33 carries 9 yards/passing 9/20 for 91 yards and 3 int's. The bottom line is we do have a very explosive offense that can put up points. It nice to know we have a strong defense that can pick them up when struggling. That wasn't the case last season. Does anyone remember the 1st half of the Illinois St. game from a year ago and then the second half?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2015, 08:30:17 AM »
We're in SC on vacation and so forced to listen to game on WKBN.  Then read this blog this morning.  Wasn't sure I was on YSU blog or SDU blog.  Can't tell if we won or lost reading posts.  Won by FOUR, yes FOUR touchdowns, on the road, in MVFC, in a dome!!  Lighten up, this team has some real talent.  Not great, but definitely deeper than in Wolford years.  Look at 2nd half and 4 qtr scoring vs Wolford years, (and I didn't down here, but my perception is definitely better)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
We're in SC on vacation and so forced to listen to game on WKBN.  Then read this blog this morning.  Wasn't sure I was on YSU blog or SDU blog.  Can't tell if we won or lost reading posts.  Won by FOUR, yes FOUR touchdowns, on the road, in MVFC, in a dome!!  Lighten up, this team has some real talent.  Not great, but definitely deeper than in Wolford years.  Look at 2nd half and 4 qtr scoring vs Wolford years, (and I didn't down here, but my perception is definitely better)
Where are the haters at after that performance???