Author Topic: Eric Wolford Interview  (Read 10339 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Eric Wolford Interview
« on: September 23, 2015, 08:45:30 PM »
Pretty candid I thought. Obviously Tress wanted him out for his own guy and jeez let go by a phone call huh?.... Best of luck going forward to coach!

http://www.wfmj.com/category/179433/video-landing-page?clipId=11867090&topVideoCatNo=127564&autoStart=true

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Wolford Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
Interesting. I was under the impression that the decision to let wolford go was seperate from ysu picking Bo. YSU  didn't bring bo in until late in the process and they interviewed a number of other candidates. I find it hard to believe that once tress become president he had this scheme to bring in bo and get rid of wolford. Pretty sure it was just time for wolford to go, not a political/ favoritism type thing.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
Good interview. Do not worry about the phone call ...it is fairly customary for the AD to call right after the vote. It would have been worse had they made him wait another day. I assure that you Pres. Tressel had very little to do with it and I know for a fact that Bo approached YSU after Strollo had chosen another coach ...no one will confirm for me whom that was.

Heck they let coach H go over the phone and he was at YSU for 20-years. Coach H actually talked with coach T about converting the offense, then approached Strollo with a good plan & the Athletic Committee agreed to let coach H try it. Strollo gave him 3-years. Coach H walked up to Strollo after our first loss and told him that he would leave on his own if he did not deliver a post season with that first new offensive recruiting class. Both coach H and Wolf knew what was coming. Strollo was in tears with coach H and I am sure he felt something similar for Wolf. We talk about these guys all the time, but they are human beings.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:31:08 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »
Good interview. Do not worry about the phone call ...it is fairly customary for the AD to call right after the vote. It would have been worse had they made him wait another day. I assure that you Pres. Tressel had very little to do with it and I know for a fact that Bo approached YSU after Strollo had chosen another coach ...no one will confirm for me whom that was.

Heck they let coach H go over the phone and he was at YSU for 20-years. Coach H actually talked with coach T about converting the offense, then approached Strollo with a good plan & the Athletic Committee agreed to let coach H try it. Strollo gave him 3-years. Coach H walked up to Strollo after our first loss and told him that he would leave on his own if he did not deliver a post season with that first new offensive recruiting class. Both coach H and Wolf knew what was coming. Strollo was in tears with coach H and I am sure he felt something similar for Wolf. We talk about these guys all the time, but they are human beings.

That is a great point. They are humans, and as such, I wish coach Wolford the best. I honestly believe he gave the job his whole effort too for that matter. But you really think Bo approached us first and after another coach was chosen? Based on timings of everything, I would believe it suspect that Tressel had in mind to bring Pelini the entire time (or at least that Tressel probably realized himself it wasn't feasible). Then when Pelini was fired he was in the mix, but based on the information from the coaches they were interviewing and had interviewed (including the interview scheduled for the Sunday that was cancelled when they announced Bo on the 16th). I have a feeling that they didn't have the coach decided before Bo threw his interest in. Hell, sometimes I wonder if he wasn't even talking to them until the football scoops story happened? But I'm just guessing and I don't have inside knowledge or anything so I could be very wrong in my assessment.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:27:37 PM »
Wolford demonstrated a lot of class during that interview.  But let's not build some sort of conspiracy theory about the coaching change.  Remember that Wolford was given only a one year contract extension.  He understood perfectly well that it was playoffs or bust.  Those inexcusable home losses to Western Illinois and Indiana State sealed his fate.

The idea that Tressel always knew that he would replace Wolford with Pelini is just silly.  That all became possible only because of that enormous severance package that guaranteed riches to Pelini until sometime in 2019.  Nonetheless Tressel was the deciding factor here.  If Tressel is not the president, Pelini does not come here.  He basically said as much when he was introduced as our head coach.  Given his terrible relationship with Nebraska officials, a supportive administration that he could trust was an absolute priority for Pelini. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »
I wasn't trying to start a conspiracy. Just stating that he said after Tressel and Strollo met, that's when they decided to let him go. Good class by Wolf, seems like he's in a good place in his life.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 06:04:54 AM »
Wolford demonstrated a lot of class during that interview.  But let's not build some sort of conspiracy theory about the coaching change.  Remember that Wolford was given only a one year contract extension.  He understood perfectly well that it was playoffs or bust.  Those inexcusable home losses to Western Illinois and Indiana State sealed his fate.

The idea that Tressel always knew that he would replace Wolford with Pelini is just silly.  That all became possible only because of that enormous severance package that guaranteed riches to Pelini until sometime in 2019.  Nonetheless Tressel was the deciding factor here.  If Tressel is not the president, Pelini does not come here.  He basically said as much when he was introduced as our head coach.  Given his terrible relationship with Nebraska officials, a supportive administration that he could trust was an absolute priority for Pelini.

+1

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
I guess I just really disliked Coach Wolford, even more than I thought.  I stopped listening after he made the whole "I understand the new President wants his guy" explanation.  To me, it was just another excuse to not admit that he didn't get the job done.  I didn't like it from day 1, the whole blame game and it never being his fault as the head coach.  Or how he'll make sure that he gets everything he wants next time.  Didn't like it then, don't like it now. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
Yes Soup, you know sometimes it really is just in Wolf's mannerisms. Coach H and to a much greater degree coach T had a better way of saying things. I am certain that all three of them want the same thing, but previous coaches might have said something like "I will make certain that I have everything in place to be successful, or help me make the team/program more successful". Just a different way of saying the same thing. I do not think Wolf deliberately says things with any ill-will, he always seems driven and motivated. Another example (from the interview) is when he mentioned that he had other opportunities. That is all well-and-good, but he needed to emphasize that he wanted to stay at YSU and tell us why. Then again, it is much easier to "armchair quarterback" an interview, than to actually be interviewed. So I could be full of crap.

I think that we also have to realize that Heacock and Tressel would gladly have stayed here forever; likewise the school wanted them both to be here forever. I am not so certain that Wolf would have ever become "part of the fabric" that is YSU; but his sons program, great wife and some local involvement, all of the items seemed to be in place for that to happen. Certainly it was, in part, his personality.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:27:05 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Why is this on the YSU Penguins Athletics page  ??? Move it to the BS page  ;)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:39:16 PM »
ay

I think that we also have to realize that Heacock and Tressel would gladly have stayed here forever;

Then why did JT leave
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 09:59:14 PM »
ay

I think that we also have to realize that Heacock and Tressel would gladly have stayed here forever;

Then why did JT leave

Heacock received the keys to a brand new cadillac and turned it into a jalopy.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:07 PM »
ay

Then why did JT leave

I would go far enough to say that he received the keys to Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac. Unfortunately we were in a conference with European sedans and still are.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
ay

Then why did JT leave

I would go far enough to say that he received the keys to Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac. Unfortunately we were in a conference with European sedans and still are.

I like the response
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
[quote author=IAA Fan link=topic=11985.msg81033#msg81033 date=1443101168

I think he was given a Chevy Camero and the others had Chevy Corvettes. When he was driving the Camero, the other Corvettes were driven by Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick......