Author Topic: 4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU  (Read 29562 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Hype video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpvYSzqo-Q

In case the person making these videos is reading this:  shots of empty stands are counterproductive for a hype video and should be avoided at all costs.

It is nice they are doing them though

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 11:38:06 PM »
Get the rain ponchos ready!! ;)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
Observations:

1. Wells still looks shaky to me. Idk if it's the weather or not but not sure if I trust him 100% going forward.
2. O-Line still needs some work, especially in the middle.
3. Defense looked good. Have a plethora of LB's who can make plays. Lee Wright and the Freshman Dellovade looked real good.
4. Special teams still need some work.
5. Offense is still predictable, I could call out some of the plays before they happened lol. Better turn it up before conference play
6. Saint Francis stinks lol

GO GUINS!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
Observations:

1. Wells still looks shaky to me. Idk if it's the weather or not but not sure if I trust him 100% going forward.
2. O-Line still needs some work, especially in the middle.
3. Defense looked good. Have a plethora of LB's who can make plays. Lee Wright and the Freshman Dellovade looked real good.
4. Special teams still need some work.
5. Offense is still predictable, I could call out some of the plays before they happened lol. Better turn it up before conference play
6. Saint Francis stinks lol

GO GUINS!

Front flip then ass chewing

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »
Bo knows rain.

It was a very enjoyable game, too bad not many fans stayed for the end, we did and it was worth it. O looked better and the D even better. I certainly was not happy with the fake punt, that just cannot not happen - ever!

Got a kick out of the students, what was left of them, in the 4th qtr, they were making some good noise, congrats.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »
I really like Ricky Davis's mobility.  He adds a dimension and threat that Wells does not. Despite limited playing time, he is YSU's third leading rusher for the day.  YSU is strong and deep at QB, and loaded w/ offensive weapons at RB and WR and even TE. I really liked his flip into the endzone, even if the official and BP did not.  It's important to provide fans starving for a dominating team some red meat sometimes.

LeRoy Alexander was quiet, and where is Jalyn Powell? Did Powell see the field?

I agree about special teams.  STFU almost ran a return to the house.

Not a great test for the O line since the size differential was so significant.

Dickson didnt really play so STFU really had no shot against our D.

Other scores: what's up w/ TOSU? It was cool how JT was there after the first quarter and then was at YSU by our halftime.

What's up w/ Auburn?  Glad to see NE lose...again.....their stupidity is our gain.  No 9 win season this year.  IL torn up by NC...is WIU and Can't worse than I think?...both were steamrolled by IL.

In the MVFC, Misery state getting drilled by a Sun Belt school.  WIU playing #1 Coastal Carolina tough but time running out for them.

I still think 7-4/5-3...which is great for a MVFC school.  Good way to finish the OOC schedule.  The real season starts w/ the Yotes....and I think that game will take everything we got.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »
Can one assume that the defense including personnel will look different in conference play? I tend to think maybe not as they played to win at Pitt...  Just odd that these FBS players who saw extensive playing time in P5 conferences do not see the field?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
Here is Powell's Sparty bio:

"2014 SEASON (RED-SHIRT FRESHMAN): Saw action in nine games (Oregon, Eastern Michigan, Wyoming, Nebraska, Purdue, Michigan, Rutgers, Penn State, Baylor) to earn his first letter . . . finished the season with five tackles . . . played at safety during the regular season but moved to Star (weakside) linebacker during bowl practice . . . recorded a career-high three tackles vs. No. 4 Baylor in the win over the Bears in the 2015 Cotton Bowl Classic . . . also posted a solo stop at Oregon and had an assisted tackle vs. Eastern Michigan."

...and he is invisible at FCS YSU??

Moss's NE bio:

"Honors & Awards

Big Ten All-Freshman Team (BTN)
Redshirt freshman defensive end Avery Moss has been one of the breakout players of the 2013 season for the Blackshirts. The 6-3, 265-pound Moss is one of three defensive ends who have been disruptive to opposing quarterbacks, joining senior Jason Ankrah and sophomore Randy Gregory.

Moss played in all 12 games and made three starts. He finished the year with 36 total tackles, with eight tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. His tackle for loss and sack totals each ranked third on the team. Moss added an interception return for a touchdown against Northwestern, and his six quarterback hurries were second only to Gregory among Nebraska players.

Moss earned freshman All-Big Ten honors from the Big Ten Network for his play this season. Moss is part of a young and talented Nebraska defensive line with seven underclassmen among the nine regulars on the front four this season."

......I think today is the first time he saw the field...and had his first two tackles as a Penguin.  What's up?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

ValleyTalk

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 09:14:10 PM »
Our Achilles heal the past five years... I know it is only PITT, RMU, and SFU, but still (right side is the visiting stats):

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:14:57 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 09:23:26 PM »
Moss earned freshman All-Big Ten honors from the Big Ten Network for his play this season. Moss is part of a young and talented Nebraska defensive line with seven underclassmen among the nine regulars on the front four this season."

......I think today is the first time he saw the field...and had his first two tackles as a Penguin.  What's up?

I believe that he has been nursing some minor stuff, should see more of him
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
Worst rainstorm since the Akron game in (?) 1990.

Notice how we used Rivers occasionally at linebacker with Moss and Williams at ends.  Versatile option depending on the opposition.

Kuhn ran like a true fullback.  Where was that on 4 and 1 against Pitt when Ruiz was down?  It will give our league opponents something to think about.  That tight end lined up in the backfield is not necessarily just a blocker.

Glad Davis got his first action, and he looked good.  And Bo did not strangle him after his gymnastic takeoff into the end zone.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »
I've always liked Davis. Thought he shoulda been the starter last year over Wells. Adds another dimension with his running ability and has a strong arm. Wells has been missing some really easy throws the first 3 weeks.

Powell did not play at all today.... I know Moss has been nursing an injury, didn't play at all last week. I really like Savon Smith in the middle, big fella can take up some space.

Really impressed with Lee Wright. He and Dellovade are more mobile and athletic than Kelly at MLB, especially covering backs and WR's across the middle which is why I think they're seeing more time.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:53:54 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2015, 07:26:07 AM »
I don't think I saw Wells go to a 2nd read all game. That's not good.

A decent defense would have had a couple picks.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »
Scalzo's final articles as a reporter covering YSU:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/sep/20/wrath-of-kuhn/

"Saint Francis finished with more penalty yardage (107) than total yardage (87)."

http://www.vindy.com/weblogs/penguin-insider/2015/sep/19/10-thoughts-ysus-win-over-sfu/

"Saint Francis quarterback Zack Drayer went 1-for-12 for 10 yards. That's the second straight game that YSU has held the opposing quarterback to one completion in regulation. Robert Morris QB Matthew Barr finished 2 of 11 last week for 16 yards, but one of those came in overtime."

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:53 AM »
First off I think the physical mismatch in the S.F. game was incredible and we did what we were supposed to do. I like the fact we are starting to get our kick-offs in the endzone for touch-backs more often. Playing a five man front on defense is something I've been hoping for and I would line Moss up as a down lineman every single play and still play our defensive ends. We used our TE in the backfield last season and had success with it. We should've done it in the first two games. It was good to see Ricky get into the game against SF. There is know doubt he is a very mobile QB with a strong arm. I still feel there are 3 thing's he needs to work on. Understanding of the offense, decision making on the field and overall accuracy. I really wouldn't mind seeing him in a wildcat formation on occasion to keep defenses honest.