Author Topic: 4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU  (Read 29565 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 4 pm Saturday at the Castle: YSU versus STFU
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »

I seen those stats, and laughed at the non-educated arm chair QBs on here :o

I've been saying it for 5 years now. The Defense is getting killed by YSU "O" ~ 3 and outs or score in 1 minute. BAM! Defense back out on the field. With Monty's offense over the last 5 years YSU really look great for a half/QTR or against sub-par teams. No one paid attention to the defense and the depth that it requires to play that side of the ball in a conference that plays 4 QTR's. Last week showed what a well-coached team can do to this Offense coordinator's game plan with less talent. The weather played some role in the bad team performance but come on man!

The issue for me is a ~60 scholarship team can't do a 84 yard drive in the 4th quarter while knowing fully that they can pass against a 24 scholarship team  :-\
[/quote]

Ya' seen 'em, did ya?
TOP was 26-33 YSU, so not sure your score too quick or 3 and out argument holds much water. (14 play 77 yards is the numbers on the long drive) The YSU drive immediately before the afore mentioned drive was 8 plays for a FG attempt, so scoring too quick or 3 and out wasn't part of that scenario.
If I use your “good coaching” vs Monty, what do I make of this us scoring as follows:
Pitt 37
Western Ill 24
Southern Ill 26
South Dakota S 30
South Dakota 28
Indiana State 24 
North Dakota State 14 (National Champion)
They all have bad coaches? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
I am now confused.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
Where has this thread gone?... Lol

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
Sorry, got lead astray by one of what I sincerely hope isn't a fellow alumnus!  He is apparently blaming Monty for last Saturday's humiliating loss.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
Sorry, got lead astray by one of what I sincerely hope isn't a fellow alumnus!  He is apparently blaming Monty for last Saturday's humiliating loss.

We have issues on both sides of the ball and special teams.  Most of the issues are correctable according to the coaching staff.  Pelini said that we aren't "finishing"  I take that as we don't have killer instinct.  Either way we allowed a lower level team to run nearly the entire field on us in the 4th quarter and they have a lot less scholarships and we have been having issues on the OL where we are not protecting well and we are not opening up second level holes (and sometimes we aren't opening up first level).  And we are missing FG's and punting inconsistently.  Not Good.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »

I've been saying it for 5 years now. The Defense is getting killed by YSU "O" ~ 3 and outs or score in 1 minute. BAM! Defense back out on the field. With Monty's offense over the last 5 years YSU really look great for a half/QTR or against sub-par teams. No one paid attention to the defense and the depth that it requires to play that side of the ball in a conference that plays 4 QTR's. Last week showed what a well-coached team can do to this Offense coordinator's game plan with less talent. The weather played some role in the bad team performance but come on man!

The issue for me is a ~60 scholarship team can't do a 84 yard drive in the 4th quarter while knowing fully that they can pass against a 24 scholarship team  :-\

Ya' seen 'em, did ya?
TOP was 26-33 YSU, so not sure your score too quick or 3 and out argument holds much water. (14 play 77 yards is the numbers on the long drive) The YSU drive immediately before the afore mentioned drive was 8 plays for a FG attempt, so scoring too quick or 3 and out wasn't part of that scenario.
If I use your “good coaching” vs Monty, what do I make of this us scoring as follows:
Pitt 37
Western Ill 24
Southern Ill 26
South Dakota S 30
South Dakota 28
Indiana State 24 
[/quote]

:-\ I guess I hit a nerve  ???

Sorry,,, Just my two cents.

Carry on  ;)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 02:12:32 PM »

Ya' seen 'em, did ya?
Pitt 37
Western Ill 24
Southern Ill 26
South Dakota S 30
South Dakota 28
Indiana State 24 

:-\ I guess I hit a nerve  ???

Sorry,,, Just my two cents.

Carry on  ;)
[/quote]

YSU VS NDSU

1st Downs YSU 14  NDSU 25
3rd down efficiency YSU 9-16 NDSU 6-10
4th down efficiency YSU 0-1 NDSU  0-1
Total Yards YSU 216 NDSU 479
Passing YSU 135 NDSU 126
Comp-Att  YSU 15-26 NDSU 12-19
Yards per pass  YSU 4.8 NDSU 6.3
Interceptions thrown YSU 3 NDSU  1
Rushing YSU 81 NDSU 353
Rushing Attempts YSU  32 NDSU 49
Yards per rush YSU 2.5 NDSU 7.2
Penalties YSU 3-28 NDSU 7-65
Turnovers YSU  4 NDSU 2
Fumbles lost 1 NDSU 1
Interceptions thrown 3 NDSU 1
Possession YSU 26:38 NDSU 33:22

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:14:04 PM by penguinpower »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
Penguin Power
If you are trying to prove NDSU was better than us last year (or the year before, or the year before that etc.) then don't bother.  They were!  Absolutely the best team in 1-AA history, and would be #1 in MOST 1-A conferences. My only point is we didn't lose any of those games because if one player or one coach.  Wins are a team effort, so are loses.  The sum total of college football is 1/2 wins, 1/2 loses.  We have had mostly winning seasons and all this "woe is me" crap is getting boring.
I am going to go noonish Saturday, have some good sausage sandwiches, maybe a cold beer (or a couple) some other appropriate snacks, (although no more cigars for the last 10 months!!) go into the stadium and watch what should be a win, but enjoy my tailgate friends and the college football environment and return home.     Blogging is getting boring.  Talk to you guys Monday.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »
If the Guins run defense struggles against St.Francis I will be very concerned heading into conference play. Towson was able to hold Dickson to 37 yards on 15 carries. Pelini stated in his most recent press conference that along with his staff they would be considering personell changes. He wouldn't elaborate beyond that.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
Forecast has taken a turn for the worse: 73% chance of rain.  The temp: 82 degrees...so still better than the RMU conditions.

YSU has dropped 8 places in Massey to 18th, and RMU gained 5 and is at 104th place (out of 125 FCS teams).  STFU is ranked 73rd and rose 4 spots after a competitive game with Towson.

YSU dropped in Massey while rising in all of the other polls.  That's why I like Massey.  It realizes a "bad win", and also "good losses."
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »
Until we show we can stop the run, I will not make a prediction.  Hard to believe we can't do it yet.  Until the OL shows they can pick up a blitz I will not predict a blow out

Bo is a defensive guru.  He will not have another Melvin Gordon type game at YSU.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 07:13:01 AM »
Really dissapointed that it is going to rain tomorrow. Would like to finally have decent tailgaiting weather. Hopefully next home game haha

ValleyTalk

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 07:33:18 AM »
Really dissapointed that it is going to rain tomorrow. Would like to finally have decent tailgaiting weather. Hopefully next home game haha
All hope is not lost as the front will not approach mid to late afternoon per models. Thus, tailgating early on should be dry. As fans, we all need to hope the models are off about three hours and this thing rolls through around 6-8pm.

By no means will this be a washout.

This gives you a good perspective on things:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:35:40 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »
Thanks Valley..This will be more reason to start off big and have a solid first half. I would rather have perfect weather for Illinois St. in two weeks. I'm still going tomorrow my poncho works just fine..my pick YSU 42-13

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »
Hype video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIpvYSzqo-Q

In case the person making these videos is reading this:  shots of empty stands are counterproductive for a hype video and should be avoided at all costs.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen