Author Topic: Pitt Game  (Read 62950 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt Game
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
The number I've heard is there were 2K YSU fans at yesterday's game.
Maybe tix given from Pitt to YSU to sell. I would think that 2k is much smaller than the actual figure at the game. There was tons of red all across the visitors sidelines in the lower level.

It was a shame that YSU was selling student tickets for $40 (according to several students) when you could buy them from StubHub for $9.  I heard a group of students say they weren't going until they heard it mentioned during Penguin Playbook that you could get them online cheaper. 

Not sure how you can account for who the fan supports with 3rd party sales.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:25:46 AM by ScarletRook »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »
YSU will never play the Zips unless they agree to come play at stambaugh and that will never happen. Plus, what incentive do they have to play us? They would get beat by a "lowly fcs" team and start losing recruits lol.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
Akron 14 point dogs to Pitt....at home.  I'd personally take Pitt even with a bigger spread.  Akron couldn't cover the +31 at Oklahoma.

The novelty of another steel-tire match would draw fans to the Info....Akron has tried everything else...including giving away tuition $$...they can't even pay their students to go.....another season of an empty Info and they will be desperate for solutions...and may consider playing YSU...and maybe even Horizon /MVFC or OVC membership.  The decision to drop baseball was only a beginning, IMO.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUFB93

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
Akron 14 point dogs to Pitt....at home.  I'd personally take Pitt even with a bigger spread.  Akron couldn't cover the +31 at Oklahoma.

The novelty of another steel-tire match would draw fans to the Info....Akron has tried everything else...including giving away tuition $$...they can't even pay their students to go.....another season of an empty Info and they will be desperate for solutions...and may consider playing YSU...and maybe even Horizon /MVFC or OVC membership.  The decision to drop baseball was only a beginning, IMO.

Akron has bigger things to worry about then sports.  If things keep heading the direction they are, ill say Akron is no longer a university in 5 years, and shutdown all together in 10-15

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »
For the benefit of younger posters, the MAC instituted a policy about twenty years ago that forbade its members from playing road games against IAA schools.  That became known informally as the "Youngstown Rule" and resulted from embarrassing losses that MAC members sustained in Stambaugh stadium against Tressel-led YSU teams.  Keep in mind that the MAC has operated for decades with the illusion that they are "big time," somehow the equals of P5 programs.  Astute fans know that is nonsense but maintaining that illusion is more important to the likes of Akron and Kent than making money. 

Yo, to respond to your question, every time that we played a football game in Akron or in Kent, YSU fans matched or outnumbered the home crowd, to the extent that you can call the gatherings that Akron and Kent draw "crowds."

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »
Scarlet, I felt the same way. I got 15 tickets in the lower level of Heinz (section 109) for the YSU game and I got them for $33 a piece. I was the one who organized all that stuff for my group of friends (all YSU students), and when they saw that YSU was selling tickets for $7 more for much worse seats, they thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is what it is, but I remember in 2012 that I paid $30 for a ticket AND the bus there and back. This year, the bus was $50.00 alone!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
Also, Wick and everyone, I wonder if the other reason we won't play them at home is because for a money game they won't pay us as much as a school in the Big 12 or ACC (or any other P5 conference) would?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
James Conner for Pitt, torn MCL. Done for the year

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
James Conner for Pitt, torn MCL. Done for the year
That's a shame and to bad..Any news on Martin Ruiz? I think they will rest him as much as possible before conference play

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2015, 12:57:19 PM »
Can't is paying FCS teams >$300K to play @ Can't. (I think we got $400K from Pitt).

Would anyone not trade playing partial scholly STFU or RMU for a short trip to Can't and watch the Flushes get beat down?  Did you see what IL did to them?

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
Yes, that sure will dampen the enthusiasm in Pittsburgh.  Must be a very scary situation for a future NFL player.  For us, we will not need Ruiz until the league opener in South Dakota.  Plenty of time to rest assuming there is no structural damage.

Two more things about the Pitt game and then I move on to the next one.  First, this bickering about offense versus defense is really silly.  Pelini stated it best in his post-game comments.  The loss was on the coaches, the offense, the defense, and the special teams.  Everybody has to get better.  Second, we are all overlooking an unfortunate coincidence that might have really hurt us in that contest.  Remember that Sims saw our offensive linemen every day in practice for several years.  He knew their strengths and weaknesses and was able to take full advantage of them with his superior athletes.  We can all hope and expect that no FCS team will neutralize our o-line as effectively as Pitt did.

Finally, one off-topic comment.  Did anyone notice that Nebraska and their "perfect gentleman" head coach lost at home to lowly (by P5 standards) Brigham Young?  They allowed a back-up quarterback to beat them with a last minute Hail Mary.  Hilarious.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
Nation, Yes please!!!! I would actually love that. Didn't realize they paid so high! Lets do it!

Fever, it is a shame. I'm surprised. He didn't seem to be hurting that bad. Man, Pitt is having so many injuries. I think that their strength and conditioning is down this year?

No update on Ruiz beyond what Pelini said in the after game press conference.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
For the first time in a long while, I don't think NE will get 9 wins.

And oh yeah, thanks to NE for paying our HC's salary.

Idiots.

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2015, 02:57:33 PM »
Hey FB93 ...make your point in college educated language and it will stay. BTW ...nice to know your D can get a pick-6 ...now if you can figure out how to stop offenses from rushing for 325-yards against us?

im not concerned about it staying, your opinion doesn't matter. and if you question my intelligence in any way shape or form again ill be getting this website taken down, is that understood? it wouldn't be hard to walk right into ysu and have it taken down for one of 2 reasons, one your personal attacks towards my intelligence as a admin no less if this site is with the university, or two, for using the ysu brand name and logo without their permission, thats not a threat, its a promise.

BTW now if only our offense can figure out how to score without the defense playing backups and third stringers.
Arrogance and Stupidity all rolled up into one, how fortunate for you! ::)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
YO, very true.  But...Akron needs to get people in the seats at InfoCision ASAP....and YSU would be an answer.  Pitt won't bring em next week....they apparently wont even go to a home game where a new HC is debuting.

Akron stadium will never see a YSU fan in it until they agree to play at our house, and that just ain't going to happen. They will have to find people elsewhere

Why?  Akron is an FBS team (for now), and we haven't required a home and home from any FBS team yet.

Mostly because they are not in a position to pay us the money that the real big boys can. I do not see us playing two "money" games. So unless they want to trade home games.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne