Author Topic: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!  (Read 152710 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
The poll (or ranking) starts out with the previous year's final poll, then I average that with the coaches preseason and the order that the teams are predicted to finish in their conference (I do use a little personal opinion there, but it is mostly from SI). I then factor in schedule strength (based on previous year's finish). I rank the conference number 1's at the top of the first-poll, so as to be fair to all conferences. From then on out, it is all based on who you play & how you perform. Sub-FCS games get a flat point and FBS games get points awarded on their rank in the FBS power poll. As a result. teams that play an all-FCS schedule have an advantage. I expect every team to win, so even if a team schedules a money-game, it makes no difference ...you lose, you drop. The reason I did this is because the purpose of the poll/rank is to determine the teams to go to the play-off. Additionally, many teams are very good (Penn, Holy-Cross, Florida A&M, Duquesne, Dayton and others) but play in a poor conference. This way they can still earn a sport in the play-off. Conference games are factored at a lower rate the OOC games, as they are traditionally more difficult; same with away games vs home. Then we adjust each week.

For example. teams 1-24 get 10-points for the coming week. If they play a weaker opponent, they lose points. There are a number of factors that add or remove starting points. So if #5 is playing #55, and the difference is 13.5 points ...#5 has to beat #55 by 13.5-points just to break-even, as I expect them to win. In some cases, weaker teams will play well against a better opponent and they will actually earn more points than the winner. These points are then added to the final score of each game. I then award points as follows:

1-point for each 7-points scored. So if you score 24-points, your team will receive 3.4 points. The reason that I do this is just in case a team has a bad game, they are not penalized too harshly.

The point factors are always the same, but amounts will vary each week of the season. We assume injuries and other items to take their toll on teams. At the end of the regular-season we take the #1's from each conference and put them in the post-season as AQ's. We rank the conferences overall and within each region. Then we round out the at-large participants based on NCAA region and total points. This is to ensure that each region and conference is fairly-represented. We end the poll on the last day of the regular-season; as it is not fair for a team who keeps on playing to have opportunity to move up, when another team does not.

A lot of people hate the way I set up the rankings, because they feel the top-16, 24, or whatever teams should go ...I do not feel that way. I feel that recruiting is damaged when a conference dominates. For example, the OVC has been down for a while, but historically they are a top-conference ...same goes with the SoCon. Recruits are going to skip going to local schools, or conference schools based on the ability to go to the post-season. Thus conferences never have tough teams. Now if recruits know that the OVC has the same number of team going to the post-season, they will not skip to the MVFC, MEAC, or CAA. In the end it is much more fair.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:37:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2015, 07:15:46 AM »
44 days

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2015, 07:06:05 AM »
43 days

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
Football practice is just around the corner. I believe the official practices start on Monday August 3rd. I 'm curious of all the transfers, if indeed they are on the roster and or are there others not mentioned.

What ever; I believe it will be an exciting season and we have three tough conference games here at the "Ice Castle". NDSU, ILL.ST and SDSU. I hope we don't have any serious injuries during the practice schedule and everyone is healthy for the opening game at Pitt.

GO PENGUINS!!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
42 days!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
41 days!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »
40 days

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:50 PM »
A few thoughts with the Pitt game just around the corner. Pitt plays the 10th strongest non-conference slate in the nation. Most insiders have them picked to finish 2-2 out of conference and finish 6th in the coastal region of the A.C.C. just ahead of Virginia. I certainly think there a much better team then that. Offensively they have a very good line with one of the better tight ends in the nation. It's know secret what they want to do with RB Conner and WR Boyd on the outside. They certainly have the ability to put up big numbers and score points. It will be a very big test for the Y.S.U. defense and the incoming transfers on defense will be much needed in this game. Defensively Pitt is a work in progress. I do believe the Y.S.U. offense will be able to move the ball effectively and score points in this one. I look for a higher score game that will be decided by 3 to 7 points. It would be nice to get this one. The conference opener at South Dakota will not be easy. Many close games await in conference play and even coach Pelini would say the same.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2015, 11:15:27 PM »
Fever, you think this will be a close game in score? I have also been of that opinion, but I think YSU has the advantage even if the defense shows up. Basically really hard for YSU to lose if Boyd was suspended, but I'm thinking he'll play.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2015, 07:34:17 AM »
39 days

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Fever, you think this will be a close game in score? I have also been of that opinion, but I think YSU has the advantage even if the defense shows up. Basically really hard for YSU to lose if Boyd was suspended, but I'm thinking he'll play.
Yo- There's a very good chance you could see 55 plus points between the 2 schools. Y.S.U. has a excellent chance in this game and I see the winner by 7 or fewer. Both offenses are way ahead of the defenses at this point. Narduzzi is know dummy and we'll aware that he needs Boyd in this game. That's why he was held out of team functions most recently as part of his discipline. He will start and play the entire game. This is a very intriguing match-up for various reasons. I feel there will be a sense of urgency for both teams considering what's at stake and the schedule that follows for each program..this game is pivotal early on. Win at Pitt and Y.S.U. could afford to go .500 in conference play and sneak into the post-season. Lose at Pitt and you would have to win the elusive 5th game in conference. .easier said then done because of the top to bottom strength of the M.V.C...I think we learned that last season especially in loses to Western,  Illinois St,  and Indiana St...games in my opinion I thought we had

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
Let's not get carried away here.  Pitt has better players at most positions.  They are at home.  And there is the matter of the memory of what we did on that field three years ago.  Fortunately, Pitt is not Ohio State or Michigan State, and that gives us at least a puncher's chance.  But to expect to win this game is completely unrealistic.  The season starts in the fourth game at South Dakota.  5-3 in the league is "doable" if Pelini can change the culture.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
Let's not get carried away here.  Pitt has better players at most positions.  They are at home.  And there is the matter of the memory of what we did on that field three years ago.  Fortunately, Pitt is not Ohio State or Michigan State, and that gives us at least a puncher's chance.  But to expect to win this game is completely unrealistic.  The season starts in the fourth game at South Dakota.  5-3 in the league is "doable" if Pelini can change the culture.

Agree 100%

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:05 PM »
Fair enough. I think we have better than the 22 percent chance (at least I think that was what it was) that massey ratings give us though, and I do believe it will be a close game. But I really hope they are prepared to face illinois state and NDSU this year...

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »
38 days