Author Topic: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!  (Read 152683 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2015, 12:48:32 AM »
52 Days

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
52 Days
This seems like such a long time and it is going sooooooooooooooo slowly!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
It does seem slow, but it will be here before you know it. Plus in a shorter period of time, it will be fall camp and there will be more to talk about. So it will go by even faster (or maybe slower since we will be so excited and talking about it so much lol)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »
1st fall practice is 3 weeks away!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
I wonder how many of these transfers actually enroll, start classes and play?  I believe history would say about half actually show up and contribute.  One of the things we 1-AA'ers seem to believe is the 1-A players are head and shoulders about our talent and that just isn't so.   Does anybody remember the OSU transfer "the second coming of TE John Mackey" Louis Irizarry?  He was OK, but certainly not great, and who can ever forget QB Najee Tyler, transfered from BIG10 Purdue.  Many of these guys leave because they can't get playing time at 1-A level and thnk 1-AA will be easier, and often it doesn't work out.  So we'll see.  The transfer DE's seem like players with other issues than playing time, so if they can stay straight (again, usually a huge issue) they could really help.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »
go guins, very good points.  Our track record with transfers is not impressive.  I do like players that transfer for the right reasons; namely, coming home or escaping a log jam on a depth chart.  That is why I am very excited about Powell.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
go guins, very good points.  Our track record with transfers is not impressive.  I do like players that transfer for the right reasons; namely, coming home or escaping a log jam on a depth chart.  That is why I am very excited about Powell.
Powell is the one that doesn't excite me.  He is leaving MSU because he can't get on the field.  That usually doesn't fix itself at 1-AA.  He is a "tweener"  Too slow for DB, too small for LB.  That usually transfers right along with the player.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:36 PM »
From the sounds of it from the Tribune Chronicle article from today about YSU's transfers, Bo Pelini can be quoted as saying there was alot of interest for transfers from many players, and he only accepted the ones that he felt could help out (by potentially playing or at least adding depth were he felt was weak). Plus, he had nothing but good things to say about Jayln Powell, but he did say that any of the transfers would have to earn their playing time and compete for the starting spots in the fall like everyone else. So if your comments about him ring true, you'll notice he won't be starting. Not disagreeing with your assessment of him being a tweener, but just saying he may indeed be relevant.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2015, 07:14:26 AM »
51 Days

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
Actually, I look for Powell to contribute immediately. He had a good start at MSU early and they were loaded. I'd look for him to play SS here. MSU moved him to a LB because  they were light there and Powell could play, even as an undersized one as he could light  them up on tackles. Powell wasn't keen on playingh LB and he loo0ks to play at the next level after college, which won't be at LB. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried him at weakside LB here either, but he won't be thrilled. Major  hitter, good field sense, pass  D was good at MSU ( but the secondary was loaded there) and nothing wrong with his speed. YSU should be improved in the secondary and have some depth. Wouldn't hurt for him to pick up 5-10 lbs.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2015, 07:13:48 PM »
Agree with Paladin--I think Powell will be a starter at Strong Safety and have an immediate impact--supposedly he is quicker than his 4.52 time in the 40--time will tell.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
I am confident in saying he will be a drastic improvement from what we have seen the last 5 years in the secondary.  We had players out of position and receivers over top of the defense more times then not.  The less tackles our secondary makes the better our defense will be..... 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2015, 11:35:47 PM »
Remains to be soon. That defense can take all the help it can get!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2015, 06:01:24 AM »
50 days  fb

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
Remains to be soon. That defense can take all the help it can get!
Amen to that!
I believe half the problem was we recruited offensive players and not enough talent on defense, but also we played so passively on defense it was a huge turn-off to me.  I would get in the car after a game and listen to the radio recap and they were telling me the star of the defense was Julius Childs and I was wondering if they watched the same game as I did?  Set up 15 yards off the line, let the receiver drive 12 yards downfield, turn back and catch a 10 yard hook.  Over and over and over.  Good grief he had 14 tackles against Duquesne and 11 against Butler to open the home season.  Now don't get me wrong, I think Julius Childs might made a better cooking show host than a CB, but a lot of that was the coaching game plan too.  We scored enough to win, just gave up WAY too many to make the playoffs.  Pelini seems much more aggressive on D and that alone may be enough.