Author Topic: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!  (Read 163063 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Countdown to YSU Season Opener!
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2015, 04:56:55 PM »
What a bunch of under-qualified statements Paladin. EXACTLY what you said about Bo is just some media print and describes YSU under Wolf as well. 'Better than coach H' is the most that you can say about W ...and that is not really an accurate statement either. However we never under performed under coach H and Nebraska never underperformed under Pelini.

Attendance was good for both coach H at YSU and coach P at Nebraska. Attendance was not good for coach W while at YSU. Fans did not like what they saw. He came in a took a huge gamble, that did not pay-off. He changed our style of ball (just what did anyone think was going to happen when you hire a DC from Florida?) and NEVER MADE THE POST SEASON. Everybody loves change, when you are winning; but it is the first thing that they will hate when you lose.

I hate Urban Meyer now and under Florida. Tressel was by far the better coach. However, there was not a doubt in my mind who was going to win that national title game years back. I even knew how lopsided UofF's victory was going to be. The difference is that Tressel restored pride and traditional football (run-based offense and mob defense) ...thus his players and fans loved him. Meyer was not well-liked at all down at Florida ...but who give a crap if you are winning?

Fans will come out to see a Bo Pelini coached football team and those other "local hacks" you gripe about (as if you ever did attend YSU games) are responsible for getting him here. So strap on a pair and be a man about things. Bo Pelini is the best hire in the history of I-AA/FCS football ...with no close second and whether he works out in the long run is never going to change that. People now know that the tone of YSU football has changed & it an obvious attempt to restore local-flavor and a sense of pride. It is already working. If we are stealing local guys from Akron ad Kent by the time he leaves ...the football world has changed (in a very positive way) at YSU. Again those 3 local hacks are responsible.

At Nebraska, Pelini did well against big teams and in bowls. His issue was that he could not win against Wisconsin or Minnesota ...thus he never broke into the top-10 and never saw a major bowl game. That level of performance is not acceptable at Nebraska, or YSU. Two things to remember:

1. The Big-10 had been under-performing for some time.
2. The man changed conferences while barely losing a beat.

The one thing that Pelini has going for him is that he likes to coach players. He is well aware of the risk he takes with some of these players. The reason he is "stacked" is going to be in-part because of the JUCO and IA transfers that "he" brought in. It is imperative that YSU recruit local and quite frankly, we are not good enough to get the better players at this time ...but you have to bite the bullet at some time. SO even if you think he recruited a bunch of local C's ...eventually we will see B's and maybe even an "A" once-in-a-while.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »
Im not sure if those on this forum are already familiar with this article or not, but it brings up a valid point to this discussion: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/22/7430243/fcs-football-north-dakota-state-illinois-state

It discusses why the north has been winning national championships at the fcs level and dominating the south. One reason offered was that south is over recruited, and that was agreed to by coach craig bohl (even though he is now at wyoming) and the coach of eastern washington that they were able to find hidden gems in the north that got overlooked. They used the term strip minning to describe recruiting southern players.

So you have to wonder, if the recruiting strategy employed by wasnt to do just that. We got a three star in Isiah scott, and alot of the recruits were the top 200 players in ohio. Im not saying to ignore the south, but recruiting locally and in the north is what ndsu does for success, and picking gems in the north is easier than the over recruited south evidently, so I argue it can be a valid strategy. Granted, we have competition with alot of schools locally.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
Same old nonsense from Paladin.  Florida players are great; Ohio players are trash.  Pelini is merely the product of the local good old boys' network, forget that he won a national championship as dc at LSU or won at least nine games each year as a Big Ten head coach.  Wolford was a great recruiter, forget the fact that some of his fabulous athletes quit on their teammates and their coaches the past two Novembers.  That last accusation came from players not from me.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
Why do you always compare MVFC to the Big10??? THIS ISNT THE BIG 10. We are not playing Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin every year, You're drunk pally.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
Wolford was a great recruiter, forget the fact that some of his fabulous athletes quit on their teammates and their coaches the past two Novembers.  That last accusation came from players not from me.

Spot on Wick!
I heard that from several players including a favorite QB
This type of poison is hard to get out of a system and is
exactly what led to our November downfall.  More than one
player said that they had no intentions of extending the season.

OK  That was then - this is NOW

GO GUINS

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2015, 03:53:44 AM »
Tressel was the best hire in I-AA/FCS history.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
Tressel was the best hire in I-AA/FCS history.

I don't know Power ...I can show you several people that did not want to hire him and his initial success was certainly lacking. Tressel wound up becoming the great coach that he now is, but that took about 4 years. When I say that coach P is the best hire ever, I mean because of his resume. The guy could go just about anywhere.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »
56 Days

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
Get your shots in now guys. But remember, this is an ongoing chat and we'll soon see what lies ahead as well as over  the  few years. I don't expect the local good old boys to say anything but glowing remarks about the local good old boys they have put in charge ( AD & coach). This site is full of good old boys. We'll talk again. I'll be back.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »
paladin:

I try to read your posts for the information you do have, but I would like to know who and what you think Youngstown State could do better.  Not so much be careful what you wish for, but honestly - getting rid of someone is great ONLY if you can replace them with someone better.  Would Pelini be OK if he wasn't from Youngstown?  Who were they going to get that would be better?  An "up and coming" young coach doesn't always pan out either.  With the financial situation at YSU, the problems with ACE and the developing situation with Div I sports, I am not seeing how Youngstown, or many other teams similar, are attractive to great coaches.

Yes, the system seems nearly broken, but the continual pissing matches aren't fixing anything.  What exactly are fans supposed to do to?  Not to be disrespectful, but it doesn't take a genius to stand waist deep in water to figure out the ship is sinking.  Now to plug the holes and right the ship would be.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »
Don't try and argue with Pally. His only response will be Strollo must go and Pelini is a hot head who can't coach or recruit and who failed in the Big10 even though we play in FCS. Blah, blah, blah.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:51 PM »
Don't try and argue with Pally. His only response will be Strollo must go and Pelini is a hot head who can't coach or recruit and who failed in the Big10 even though we play in FCS. Blah, blah, blah.

I am not wanting to argue because Paladin does bring up some decent points;however this is what bothers me.  I have been viewing this board for 3 - 4 years now since I moved back to Ohio and rekindled my interest in YSU.  We (myself included) attack each other and then complain about the cohesiveness of the team.  Much of what we criticize coaches and player for we are guilty of ourselves - maybe our right as fans.  I am fortunate to talk with some of the players on occasion and not one of them want to lose.  They aren't happy with the melt downs and certainly not happy with the players that quit on them.  I will say this - the few I have talked with all said the the key to N. Dakota's success isn't that they have better players or coaches, but they are all in it together - every player - every play - winning or losing: players, coaches and fans.
We in turn are anxious to stop attending games and eat our own.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
Well... He should help. Heard we may land an Auburn transfer a month back.

@JuCoFootballACE: Elijah Daniel @elijahdaniel6 4merly Auburn @FootballAU inks w/ Youngstown State @YoungstownStFB @BoPelini http://t.co/xXG5L0I9Z1

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:31:36 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »
On paper this defense is vastly improved with the transfers.  I once worried about character but who cares anymore.  Look at the two faced liars that run this country who think nothing of lying right to the camera and change their minds daily......  Cheers to fun and excitement at Stambaugh Stadium in 2015....