YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

New Sport: Women's Bowling

<< < (7/9) > >>

Spiderlegs:
Paladin can atone for his sins by joining Pete's Pride:

http://web.ysu.edu/gen/ysu/Petes_Pride_m5018.html

paladin:
What I can tell you is none of my kids wanted to go to YSU. They became Kent St. grads. Now, I have a grandson ( Jr.) and a granddaughter( Frosh) who both go to Kent St. as well. Tressel has appeared at numerous H.S., my grandkids' included. While respectful, none of the kids planned to change their favored college to YSU. At best , I have a Grandson in H.S. who is a jock that talks about playing for YSU, but he is just a Frosh, so too early to  know where he will end up. BTW, he is pretty good, team Captain and multi-sport star. Many of the kids friends were promised by Tressel that if they transferred into YSU, he would get them some aid. So far, the granddaughter has friends at Cincy, BG and O.U.  None will take Tressel up on his offer.

The Fall numbers will tell  the tale.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: paladin on March 16, 2015, 03:18:09 PM ---What I can tell you is none of my kids wanted to go to YSU. They became Kent St. grads. Now, I have a grandson ( Jr.) and a granddaughter( Frosh) who both go to Kent St. as well. Tressel has appeared at numerous H.S., my grandkids' included. While respectful, none of the kids planned to change their favored college to YSU. At best , I have a Grandson in H.S. who is a jock that talks about playing for YSU, but he is just a Frosh, so too early to  know where he will end up. BTW, he is pretty good, team Captain and multi-sport star. Many of the kids friends were promised by Tressel that if they transferred into YSU, he would get them some aid. So far, the granddaughter has friends at Cincy, BG and O.U.  None will take Tressel up on his offer.

The Fall numbers will tell  the tale.

--- End quote ---

So what bigger schools ...what is your point? Has not Ytown always been loaded with Kids whose parents send them to Kent? I am almost 50, so this is nothing new. UC is the only school in the state with an increase in enrollment ...that is because of their new "diversity" program ...lol. Need I say any more? They now offer heavy race/gender/income/age related scholarships. Heck, their average age for student was 24.6 years as of last year ..I guarantee you that has not gone down. They are quickly becoming the largest community college in the country.

Penguin Nation:
Paladin,

It is undeniable that enrollment is down, including for the current semester.  But what do you think about this?

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/feb/23/ysu-applications-fall-after-enhanced-recruitment/

paladin:
It reminds me of the hype you hear from the athletic dept about  an upcoming foe, trying to hype the game for increased ticket sales. The article itself admits that increased applications do NOT equal increased enrollment. That's why I said before that this Falls numbers may be slightly up, given all the  attention that the dire situation calls for ( hiring a recruitment firm, Tressel out on PR tour and YSU breaking up schollies  to try to get more  kids with $$$$$$$$$$ in their hands). However, YSU is in a box. The demographic of he typical YSU student is one who can't afford Ohio St. or a regional college ( Kent, O.U., etc). But YSU has grown in costs to the point many are balking at attending since so few jobs are available at graduation. And many kids look at YSU as a 7-8 year attendance, working their way thru. What you are witnessing is a bursting higher ed bubble. I don't see a recovery. Its too expensive with little to no payoff at the end ( graduation).

And , YSU has been forced to supplement the athletic office because of poor management by the AD. The money sports  are dragging up from behind as attendance  fell at FB and MBB. Those carry  everything  else . Poor coach selections, foolish contract extensions, not enough money games and very poor scheduling results in the downfall that is a drain on the total school budget. I can't say where the cuts are coming, but the athletic dept won't escape them.  YSU is in full panic mode and the tsunami hasn't  even hit yet.

But it will

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version