YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

New Sport: Women's Bowling

<< < (9/9)

IAA Fan:
 Cabinet refers automatic qualification proposal for bowling
Bowling Committee hopeful the recommendation will be approved by new oversight committee to start in 2018
February 18, 2015 11:35amGreg Johnson

Women’s bowling is closing in on a guaranteed path to its postseason, but one step remains.

During a conference call Feb. 10, the Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet referred a decision on when to implement automatic qualification for the NCAA Women’s Bowling Championship to the newly formed Competition Oversight Committee.

The proposal from the NCAA Bowling Committee would provide conference champions with an automatic spot in the NCAA championship beginning in 2018. The Competition Oversight Committee, part of the new Division I governance structure, will determine whether to approve that implementation date.

Committee members believe the automatic qualifier will encourage schools weighing the addition of new sports to consider bowling.

Currently, tournament participants are selected as at-large participants in the eight-team bracket. Four conferences (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Northeast Conference, Southwest Athletic Conference and Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association) account for 36 of the 63 schools that sponsor the sport.

There are 27 teams that do not have conference affiliation.

By rule, six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years to be eligible for automatic qualification.

The bowling committee believes the 2018 time frame will allow schools not in a conference to strategically align themselves and allow for better planning when considering conference affiliation.

Committee members feel the automatic qualification will also provide the ability to monitor the number of conferences and develop a plan if the number of conferences exceeds 50 percent of the eight-team bracket.

IAA Fan:
Rank    Team    Won    Loss    Pct.
1    Nebraska    85    20    640
2    Fairleigh-Dickinson    86    22    580
3    Arkansas State    68    27    534
4    Central Missouri    83    38    504
5    Stephen F. Austin    73    34    442
6    Vanderbilt    88    38    426
7    SAM HOUSTON    84    40    382
8    Wisconsin-Whitewater    62    33    328
9    Maryland-Eastern Shore    89    42    288
10    North Carolina A&T    70    38    272
11    McKendree    50    31    235
12    Saint Francis (Penn)    74    41    167
13    Sacred Heart    53    35    156
14    LIU-Brooklyn    58    46    152
15    Saint Francis Brooklyn    79    50    118
16    Valparaiso    47    60    77
17    Delaware State    75    48    69
18    Norfolk State    54    34    41
19    Kutztown    55    47    40
20    UAB    60    49    39

Last Year's national champs were Sam Houston State, the prior 3 years were Nebraska. The more that I look at this, the more I like the idea. I did not realize that the OHSAA is one of the few that sponsor girls bowling. I guess a two-time recent DI champ is from this part of Ohio & I cannot seem to find her.

popsicle:
Where will the women bowl, 1AA? I would presume that these are off campus venues. Any sport we might win at I am all for.

IAA Fan:
Strollo said in this week's announcement they have not found a venue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version