Author Topic: Stadium Upgrades  (Read 18694 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Stadium Upgrades
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
I asked this question before:  When the Browns upgraded their sound system and jumbo-tron, what did they do with it and why couldn't it have been donated to a college like YSU?

Would never happen. Organizations do not "donate" anything. Browns have no connection to Youngstown.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 11:22:05 AM »
I have said all of this before and you all called me crazy.
YSU will be getting a new scoreboard/ jumbotron on the North endzone and keep the scoreboard on the South endzone side.
Like you previously stated they are planning on getting new lights as well to host a Televised playoff game, because the current lights are approximately 75 candle power and in order to host a night playoff game the home field must have lights that are 100-125 candle power. That is the reason why the YSU football field will have new lights.
If you really take a look at the current jumbotron, you will really notice how bad quality it really is. It reminds me of the old basketball jumbotron. We are in the 21st century and our amenities should show that.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »
mvfc, I've seen note regarding the lighting for a potential playoff game, but noting on a scoreboard.  Do you know anything about this or are you just idly speculating?  Seems there would be a big deal made to announce a 1.5 million or so project? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Could be why we switched to Pepsi products. Coke bought that last one, maybe Pepsi is giving us a whole board?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »
  OH OH, 1AA has a real dilemma here!  As bad as we need a scoreboard, do we let Pepsi buy it and keep Coke out?  Frankly I’m fully into beer in the tailgate lot and water during the game, so I’m on the Pepsi jumbotron bandwagon!  (Noting of course this is all 100% idle speculation from a bunch of guys with nothing to do until spring practice starts!)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
Could be why we switched to Pepsi products. Coke bought that last one, maybe Pepsi is giving us a whole board?

Coke got cheap and wouldn't help us out.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
Sources tell me the Pepsi contract is for 10 years and includes upgrades such as a new viewboard.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
ELPENGUIN-sources tell me?? Now I am NOT saying you are full of “stuff”, but common sense tells me if Pepsi is going to pay for a new view board, it would be all over the news.  They do NOT spend this money out of the goodness of their heart; it is all about the advertising and publicity.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
Two things:

They added the new scoreboard, upgraded the video and added the new bank of lights without telling anyone in advance. It was not a secret or anything, but not any major announcement.

I understood the Pepsi deal is 1-year. I believe they have to accept bids annually though. This does not mean they do anything, but the provider used when we were Coke tailgates in the lower-lot just 2-spaces down & he plans on winning it back next year.

As to the lighting. I am not so certain we are that low. Lighting is determined by the NCAA, but not required for anything other than broadcast requirements. The same requirements have been in place for some time, but it has been some time since we made the post-season. Here are some general guidelines:
Lumen = I consider1ft candle-power:

1. 50-lumens: Minimum lighting to hold night games is 50-lumens.
2. 75-lumens: Minimum lighting to have Regional broadcasts (not just TV).
3. 100-Lumens: Minimum lighting to have National broadcasts (not just TV).
4. 125-lumens: Minimum lighting to have Championship game broadcasts (not just TV).

I sent an email to the NCAA to determine if all DI play-off games are considered "championship". If so, we need to be at 125-lumens.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:04 AM »
1AA, not sure which "new scoreboard" you are refering to.  The newest is basketball and it was not done without notice or fanfare.
From the Vindy 3/20/12
"Improvements, construction on horizon for YSU"
Over the past five years, Youngstown State athletic director Ron Strollo has wanted to upgrade the Beeghly Center scoreboard.

Over the next few months, he might get his wish.

YSU is looking to replace its current scoreboard with one that will feature a videoboard on all four sides — the latest update to the 40-year-old facility.

“We think we’ve found a price within our budget and hopefully we’ll get that done between now and basketball season,” said Strollo, speaking at the Curbstone Coaches’ Monday luncheon at the Blue Wolf Banquet Center. “We’ve had hurdles to cross and we’ve got to make sure we have the resources but I’m hoping it can be done in time for our first volleyball game.”

The videoboard would allow the Penguins to show video replays and expanded statistics and have more flexibility with promotions, he said.

YSU has invested more than $4 million in Beeghly Center over the past five years, installing a new court in 2008 while updating the lighting, locker rooms and offices.

Plus it is fair to say we have new leadership at YSU and I would bet money they wouldn't miss any opportunity to raise awarness or interest in the football program!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
Stambaugh is so outdated... This isn't 1999 anymore. Time to pony up, get a new video board that shows HD replays.
Heck, Hubbard and Boardman once their new stadium is done this year will have a better video board than YSU now.
My understanding is that they needed to upgrade the lighting to be able to host playoff games that are nationally televised. Sound system also needs work.
And how about some cameras over on the home side stands? Wishful thinking....

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 02:30:04 PM »
ysufan5050 I couldn't agree more.  The current video board is almost useless. Frankly they would probably cut down on the embarrassment by turning it off! 
I don't know what you do about camera location.  They want to show the bigger stands (hopefully full) from the side they use now, but for day games the glare makes the picture almost unwatchable.  I like to go home and watch the re-broadcast to see if it looked the same to the commentators as it did to me live.  I find it interesting, but then again, I find it interesting to write on these blogs (I NEED to get a life!)

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
I have been told that preparation for the new scoreboard will take place during the spring and construction will take place during the summer. The new scoreboard will be comparable to those of Illinois State and South Dakota State.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 07:24:05 AM »
Stambaugh is so outdated... This isn't 1999 anymore. Time to pony up, get a new video board that shows HD replays.
Heck, Hubbard and Boardman once their new stadium is done this year will have a better video board than YSU now.
My understanding is that they needed to upgrade the lighting to be able to host playoff games that are nationally televised. Sound system also needs work.

Probably more a comment on our city than anything I have heard in a while. Geez ...it is just HS. Yet people that graduated decades ago will be sitting there instead of preparing YSU tailgate food for Saturday. That being said, we need to be at 100-1ft candle-power. I could care less about the score board. I want to see score, down, time-out left and the second-clock.

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »

The understanding I get is that they're going to completely upgrade the camera booths on the east end of the stadium when they do the lights. I don't know if they're going to make one big one, but it would make sense if they do.