Author Topic: What do you expect from a Pelini football team?  (Read 21857 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: What do you expect from a Pelini football team?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
I expect them to make the playoffs.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
And when would  that be,  ysuguins4 ?

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 06:14:34 PM »
I would expect them to make the playoffs this year---its not like Pelini is coming in with the cupboard bare. :o

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
Sound off everyone. When do you "think" we make the playoffs ? Get on the record.......ysuguins4 ? 

BTW,05, feel free to believe another goofy Strollo statement. He says ticket sales are increasing, meaning he has suckered more businesses to buy up some blocks f tickets. I am saying butts in seats overall will not improve much. Big difference. Those businesses will not get employes or customers to use them. Butts in seats will not change dramatically, Pelini name or not. Bo will have to win BIG to change it and I will have my predictions beforehand.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:14:48 PM by paladin »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
I will want to see that Monty is truly being kept. Also, who is taking special teams. So I will make my true prediction once we see staff. If coach M is staying at OC, then we will go next year. Unless coach P makes some really bad choices; which is highly unlikely.

Offline #1 Tailgater

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
If the right coaching staff is put into place along with a few transfers I say 2015.  2016 for sure.  Bottom line the talent isn't at YSU like Nebraska so you will see how good of coaching staff we have.  I do think he was the right man for the job and can bring the program back to a contender.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:40 PM »
We will return to the playoffs in 2017.  Pelini will need two seasons to construct a defense.  Anybody who watched NDSU stump on Wolford's defensive "athletes" could deduce that we have only a few players on that side of the ball that can play winning football at this level and in this conference.

Of course, FBS transfers can change everything, as tailgater has just implied.  Wolford's transfers by and large made little impact.  But Illinois State is playing in the championship game this Saturday ONLY because of that transfer quarterback from Indiana.  Give us a run-stopper in the middle of the line and two linebackers that can actually hit people and progress could accelerate rapidly.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:39 AM »
Paladin: After a week 1 win at Pitt (just as in 2012 season) there will be plenty of 'butts in the seats' just as there were until the 0 for October fiasco. But there will be and already is much optimism with the new coaching staff and the talent of players that are returning. Stop being such a YSU hater on a YSU blog.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 05:25:55 AM »
I see no reason for YSU to not make the playoffs in 2015. YSU missed the playoffs by 1 game each of the last 4 seasons, and 3 of the 4 went into the last game with a "win and in scenario". There are now 14 at-large bids with the MEAC foregoing their auto-bid to the playoffs. And, after the showing the MVFC had this year, one would think 8-3/6-2 in the MVFC would get YSU into the playoffs, and maybe even 7-4/5-3.

No reason to expect an NC, or even and MFVC Title. But, what was the point of firing Wolford if not to hire a coach that would get YSU into the playoffs in 2015? There will be alot of talent returning, and the coaching ought to improve significantly. With a coach that has the pedigree of Pelini, the little things that plagued YSU under Heacock and Wolford, and cost YSU to miss the playoffs ought not be a major issue.

I'm kind of at a loss people saying 2 or 3 years til making the playoffs. I was not a big fan of Wolford from the start, and I think had he been kept, YSU likely would have made the playoffs within the next 2 or 3 years, and maybe even in 2015.

YSU does not play UNI this coming season, and they get NDSU, SDSU and ISU at home. While I do not expect a win at PITT, that will be a winnable game, especially with it being the 1st game of their year for 2 new coaching staffs. Would be an upset if YSU wins, but it's not as if they are playing MSU, PSU, OSU. Would imagine the game ought to be similar in competitiveness and opportunity to win as the 2012 game at PITT and this past seasons game at Illinois. Also, the fact Narduzzi has such a big hatred toward YSU could well play into YSU's favor. Especially being his first game as HC. He will NOT want to lose the home opener, especially to YSU. On the other hand, YSU has nothing to lose, as they will be the underdog and expected to lose. And, to the best of my knowledge, Pelini has no grudge with either PITT or Narduzzi.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
And when would  that be,  ysuguins4 ?

2015.  I believe missing the playoffs by one game in each of the last four years shows there is enough talent on this team to take the next step.  Wolf wasn't a good enough coach to get them over the hump, but I believe Pelini is.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »
2015 is realistic for a playof birth... Beating Pitt IS NOT!  James Connor and Tyler Boyd are 1st round NFL draft choices who will have their way with us.  Pitt offensively returns all of their key players.  We will start 0-1 FOR SURE!

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 04:37:39 PM »
2015 is realistic for a playof birth... Beating Pitt IS NOT!  James Connor and Tyler Boyd are 1st round NFL draft choices who will have their way with us.  Pitt offensively returns all of their key players.  We will start 0-1 FOR SURE!

I'm just hoping for a good game against Pitt and not a blowout.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »
If Akron can beat them this past season, I see no reason why we don't have a decent shot at pulling the upset again next year.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 11:15:02 AM »
I would expect them to make the playoffs this year---its not like Pelini is coming in with the cupboard bare. :o
If Illinois State can go from 5-6 last year to playing for the National Title this year I don't think that it is too far-fetched for us to make the playoffs.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »
I expect playoffs. 2015.