Author Topic: Bo Knows Recruiting  (Read 17075 times)

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bo Knows Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 07:55:03 AM »
Very simply:  You cant have both.   If real student-athletes matter perhaps funding should match that feeling.  Not new uniforms and helmets every year.

I understand your point, but I believe if you are talking funding it is totally different sources and difficult to compare.  For my information, what type of jobs are available with a major in General Studies?

according to some on this board, Tressel can all but walk on water, hard to believe that line items and accounting would be a weakness here.  General Studies perhaps might be useful in managing grocery stores, or just an overall advancement in some sort of service industry.  Not useless by any means, but you not the going to make a regional or national splash churning out Darden restaurant GM's.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
Maybe we need to get Nike to sponsor academics and leave UnderArmor with supplying the new helmets and jerseys. ;)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Very simply:  You cant have both.   If real student-athletes matter perhaps funding should match that feeling.  Not new uniforms and helmets every year.

I understand your point, but I believe if you are talking funding it is totally different sources and difficult to compare.  For my information, what type of jobs are available with a major in General Studies?

Professional athlete :)

Sorry to be sarcastic, but it is the truth. We need these types of programs in order to compete with other top sports programs in the nation. Sure you can have things like black studies that are going to get Federal funding (as our gov't still lives in the late 19th century). However, these are not realistic majors for the vast majority of athletes ...regardless of skin color. No one is going to fund general studies or athletic sciences. Even the major sport apparel companies would rather put their name on the uniforms or on the buildings.

General studies is not designed to train you for a job ...it is designed to sure up weaknesses in your education ...which is why most of these are associates programs (all the more reason to eliminate, or take over, the Gateway CC). In fact, there are many programs in restaurant & food services management ...this includes those taught at YSU. However, schools like OSU or Penn State offer degrees in this ...again it is something that we cannot afford.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:45:24 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Student-athletes at YSU tend to have higher GPAs than other students and graduate at a higher rate.  The idea that many of them choose General Studies as a major is completely false.  That is not an opinion.  It is a fact verified by a look at the rosters from the university athletic site.  A quick search reveals this.

Men's and women's basketball have NO General Studies majors
Softball and Volleyball have NO General Studies majors
Soccer has one
Men's and women's track and field combined have two
Football has only 7 General Studies majors, offset by the 9 football players who are majoring in engineering.

Power, I agree with everything that you said in your post of two days ago.  And you even left out the world-renowned Dana School of Music. :D

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »
Student-athletes at YSU tend to have higher GPAs than other students and graduate at a higher rate.  The idea that many of them choose General Studies as a major is completely false.  That is not an opinion.  It is a fact verified by a look at the rosters from the university athletic site.  A quick search reveals this.

Men's and women's basketball have NO General Studies majors
Softball and Volleyball have NO General Studies majors
Soccer has one
Men's and women's track and field combined have two
Football has only 7 General Studies majors, offset by the 9 football players who are majoring in engineering.

Power, I agree with everything that you said in your post of two days ago.  And you even left out the world-renowned Dana School of Music. :D

Sorry Wick.......forgot about that one.  I am an engineer and music is not a strong point with me and I often forget about it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:38:05 PM by penguinpower »

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
It's not about the degree you get from a college.  It's what you do with that degree that matters.  I have a General Studies degree from YSU and I make decent money especially for this area.  I also have a few friends who majored in that as well.  With a General Studies degree you still have to pick two areas of study.  You also have to take just as many upper division classes as anyone else that graduates here with any other major. Read up on General Studies before looking down on it.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
Did we forget what this topic is about ? We need some  tough guys coming to YSU. Go out & recruit. Damn you sisses suck.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
It's not about the degree you get from a college.  It's what you do with that degree that matters.  I have a General Studies degree from YSU and I make decent money especially for this area.  I also have a few friends who majored in that as well.  With a General Studies degree you still have to pick two areas of study.  You also have to take just as many upper division classes as anyone else that graduates here with any other major. Read up on General Studies before looking down on it.

If you were referring to me.....I asked because I didn't know much about the curriculum or where it leads.
Would still like to know more, but this is not the time nor place.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »
No, I wasn't referring to you scarlet rock.  I was just saying basically any degree is what you make it.