Author Topic: Bo Knows Recruiting  (Read 16908 times)

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Bo Knows Recruiting
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »
So has their been any rumors of recruits who YSU may have been an after thought that now that Bo is in town want to come to YSU ?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bo Knows Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
I think his first stop should be Hubbard High School and talk to those players leaving the area to Toledo, WVU, etc...has to give it a try. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
I think his first stop should be Hubbard High School and talk to those players leaving the area to Toledo, WVU, etc...has to give it a try.

The understanding I get is neither Wolford or Stoops ever visited Hubbard. I think Hubbard's coach Brian Hoffman played for YSU.

Wasn't Stoops suppose to be this created golden link between the local schools and YSU?

Offline #1 Tailgater

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Yes Brain played for YSU as a LB for Tressel.  Also Wofford has been recruiting hard at Hubbard trying to get any of the players he can.  They have a good chance at Isiah Scott, the kid has Velcro for hands. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »
Yes Brain played for YSU as a LB for Tressel.  Also Wofford has been recruiting hard at Hubbard trying to get any of the players he can.  They have a good chance at Isiah Scott, the kid has Velcro for hands.

I thought Isaiah was going to be a package deal with his brother at Michigan State?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 11:33:22 PM »
I was upset to learn Tyler Castillo-athlete from the Orlando area just committed to Colgate. He is a dynamic player that really enjoyed his visit here and I thought we had an excellent chance of landing him. Hopefully Bo will not let to many players like Tyler slip through the cracks

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:02 AM »
I was upset to learn Tyler Castillo-athlete from the Orlando area just committed to Colgate. He is a dynamic player that really enjoyed his visit here and I thought we had an excellent chance of landing him. Hopefully Bo will not let to many players like Tyler slip through the cracks

I do not mind losing kids with brains. I expect it. A degree from Colgate. Now if the kid went as a player-only, then that just goes to show where our program is.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 03:15:24 AM »

I do not mind losing kids with brains. I expect it. A degree from Colgate. Now if the kid went as a player-only, then that just goes to show where our program is.

Wrong way to look at it Dan.  Don't sell YSU short.  Top 45 Engineering program worldwide.  Better yet excellent STEM college.  Tied into the technology corridor and on the forefront  of 3D printing technology.  I also have to say that the chemistry department is also a stand out especially Organic and Physical Chemistry.  Really top notch in the country.   Education and physical therapy are also strengths.

Tressel knows what we have too and it is the reason why he raised the admission standards.  They've been selective in engineering for years.  You can't just claim the major you have to be approved to be allowed into the major.

We should not expect kids not to choose us to other schools over academics.   We offer a small pipeline of students for adanced degrees at several of the top research universities in the world........and our students are successful.   That mentality needs to go away.  This isn't the 1980's anymore.   The school has come a long way academically and it is producing a high number of successful graduates.  The school needs to do a better job of advertising this and the alumni need to realize that it has changed and continues to get better.   For the cost of the degree I can't say I know a better institution....YSU is a bargain and the community stigma that it is not as good as surrounding Kent and Akron etc. Is complete misinformation.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:30:44 AM »

I wish him well, simple fact is that no school, no coach will land every recruit. Who knows all the reasons,
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »

Don't sell YSU short.  Top 45 Engineering program worldwide.  Better yet excellent STEM college.  Tied into the technology corridor and on the forefront  of 3D printing technology.  I also have to say that the chemistry department is also a stand out especially Organic and Physical Chemistry.  Really top notch in the country.   Education and physical therapy are also strengths.

We should not expect kids not to choose us to other schools over academics.   We offer a small pipeline of students for adanced degrees at several of the top research universities in the world........and our students are successful.   That mentality needs to go away.  This isn't the 1980's anymore.   The school has come a long way academically and it is producing a high number of successful graduates.  The school needs to do a better job of advertising this and the alumni need to realize that it has changed and continues to get better.   For the cost of the degree I can't say I know a better institution....YSU is a bargain and the community stigma that it is not as good as surrounding Kent and Akron etc. Is complete misinformation.

Exactly!  Unfortunately until YSU decides to promote their educational values, Colgate and similar schools will seem to be the better choice.  I don't see the faculty doing anything to help this cause either, but I suppose 'it is not their job'.  Look at the number of engineering students YSU has among their athletes, but if you didn't read the player bio's who would know?  Heck, I believe Steve Page is pursuing a Physician Assistant career path.  This is why I wish we would run commercials similar to other schools where the athletes promote their education and their sport.  Until then, we might as well change the school colors to camo.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:39:13 AM »
I actually feel just the opposite and my father was an engineering department dean for 30-years. YSU is an academic sell ...a Colgate degree sells itself. What YSU lacked for decades is what we now finally have ...general studies, athletic science degrees, etc. These are the things that are going to attract and keep top athletes. Let's face it; most top athletes (major sports) are marginal scholars. If we show a kid a program in teaching athletics, coaching, or the ability to play at YSU for 3+ years without having to declare ...then you have a recruit.

Lack of funds for these type of programs has plagued small schools (such as YSU) for years. Our money has to go for the basics (reading, writing and arithmetic). It is like my dad and I always say about Ohio State ...a Chinese national can get a PHD in advanced underwater basket-weaving if he/she can also play ping-pong.

So we are not selling YSU short, we are realizing what it takes to get and hold top athletes in today's market. Most of these guys do not want great Engineering programs, they want to stay in school for 3 to 5 seasons.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:49:20 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguin8797

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 10:09:24 AM »
most top athletes (major sports) are marginal scholars. If we show a kid a program in teaching athletics, coaching, or the ability to play at YSU for 3+ years without having to declare ...then you have a recruit.

Lack of funds for these type of programs has plagued small schools (such as YSU) for years. Our money has to go for the basics (reading, writing and arithmetic). It is like my dad and I always say about Ohio State ...a Chinese national can get a PHD in advanced underwater basket-weaving if he/she can also play ping-pong.

So we are not selling YSU short, we are realizing what it takes to get and hold top athletes in today's market. Most of these guys do not want great Engineering programs, they want to stay in school for 3 to 5 seasons.

Exactly what is wrong with scholarship college football and baketball; lowering the bar, throwing away all integrity and giving a student athlete the facade of an education in exchange for success in the 'market' that is college athletics. The price is too high.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
YSU is a bit schizophrenic on this point.  Real student-athletes matter to the athletic department, but there aren't enough of them. Unfortunately, the number selecting General Studies as a major in contrast to involvement in a substantive area also seems to be growing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:32:08 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »
Very simply:  You cant have both.  Unless you are a power 5 team, you cannot have both.  Look at the Ivy league teams.  If your Harvard's football coach your only task is to beat Yale.  You absolutely cannot practice kids 40 hours a week (even though NCAA rule says 20 hr max)  and expect kids to be Organic Chem Majors. 
YSU has, rough estimate 400 SA?  and there are 2 academic service professionals on staff?  Kent State has 10, Pitt has 10 plus a staff of 5 for Life Skills.  These are not numbers that will encourage or create academic all-stars, when most of your recruiting area are kids that are considered at-risk.  If real student-athletes matter perhaps funding should match that feeling.  Not new uniforms and helmets every year. 

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »
Very simply:  You cant have both.   If real student-athletes matter perhaps funding should match that feeling.  Not new uniforms and helmets every year.

I understand your point, but I believe if you are talking funding it is totally different sources and difficult to compare.  For my information, what type of jobs are available with a major in General Studies?