Poll

Who do you believe should be YSU's starting QB?

Dante Nania
2 (9.5%)
Ricky Davis
16 (76.2%)
Tanner Gerry
1 (4.8%)
Other
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Starting Quarterback Poll  (Read 23420 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Quarterback Poll
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Well, It's official. Dante Nania named the starter and Hunter Wells the backup...... Hope this works out!

Offline MrGuin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »
Just as I predicted... I think it'll be fine. Nania is seviceable and Hunter best be ready because he will definitely see action.

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
  Paladin I cant believe we are less than 2 weeks away from the season opener and you are already writing the script for the season and how mediocre it will be!  What we have to remember is that these are young men and winning can become very contagious!  I have been to several practices and to both scrimmages and I see a lot of talented football players working their butts off!  I believe the biggest factor for this teams future is that they need to start the season strong and continue to get better every week leading up to the big MVFC games which will determine their post season play! 
  You act like you were the only person who knew they would change there offense this year,  well the last time I checked that is a sign of a good coaching staff; being able to adapt your coaching philosophies to what best fits your players on your team!  Nania is a very athletic kid and I believe the YSU staff has done a good job making the offense fit his skill type, while you make the out to be a negative! 
  Both Wolf and Monty interviews clearly states the Wells has done some things to catch the attention of the coaches and players!  Coach Monty said that Wells is further along than any freshman QB he has ever had. I am  pretty sure he had 2 QBs drafted into the League when he was head coach at Miami (Ohio), Ben Roethlisberger is pretty good last time I checked!  So when the coaches say that Wells has earned the #2 spot how bout we trust their decision and quit being so negative and critical!  Could they be trying to light a fire under Davis's butt, absolutely but from what I have seen is that Wells has clearly outplayed Davis in the few times I was able to watch live practices!
 In closing lets just remember that we are undefeated right now as is every other team in the country and these young men can still make this season be the season we remember for a long time!  The players and staff have been putting in some long hard hours preparing to have a great season; and I wish them all the best of luck on the upcoming season.  I am now finalizing my travel plans to Champaign as this will be the last Big 10 game YSU will participate in! Once again GOOD LUCK and GO GUINS!!

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
PENGUIN POWER

"After reading Scale o's article I say to play Hunter Wells.  You have a long time to develop him and he probably won't be running as much.  More long term upside."

Where was this article at couldn't seem to find it anywhere?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »
Here is the article.  about halfway down he mentions Wells and how he was #2 behind Nania

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/aug/17/nearing-finish/?newswatch

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:57 PM »
Batty,

Don't let Paladin annoy you.  He is not a YSU fan, and he actually believes that he knows more about football than Shane Montgomery.  Just ignore him or use his comments as comic relief.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
Could they be trying to light a fire under Davis's butt, absolutely but from what I have seen is that Wells has clearly outplayed Davis in the few times I was able to watch live practices!

This question will be answered over the first four games.  If they remove Hunter's redshirt by playing him, then they believe he is truly the #2 QB.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
Could they be trying to light a fire under Davis's butt, absolutely but from what I have seen is that Wells has clearly outplayed Davis in the few times I was able to watch live practices!

This question will be answered over the first four games.  If they remove Hunter's redshirt by playing him, then they believe he is truly the #2 QB.

Yep, excellent point!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Any one here think they will play ALL the players they aren't  REDSHIRTING in the 3 weenie games ?

Who will be the QB for the MVFC games ?  And who will be the backup for  the MVFC games ?

Listen to Wick, batty. Paladin knows nothing about football.

"yawn"

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »
Here is the article.  about halfway down he mentions Wells and how he was #2 behind Nania

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/aug/17/nearing-finish/?newswatch

Thanks, Penguinpower, I actually did read that article already just wasn't familiar with what Scale's O (Joe Scalezo) was!  I wasn't aware that Paladin wasn't a Penguin fan either thanks for the info!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
Batty you have some good points! Competition breeds success at the D-1 level. Congrats to Dante and I'm not surprised Wells was pushing him along the way. To have a tall strong armed quarterback like Wells who can make all the throws and spread it around like he does at the F.C.S. level is rare.I'm really surprised he wasn't enrolled into Y.S.U. in the spring. He's not the most mobile quarterback but has a very nice spin move in the pocket and has the ability to elude defenders with his long arms. He can also pick up necessary yardage on the ground when needed. Has to learn not to press at the next level and just manage the game. The more his skills developed and he gets bigger stronger and faster he will be a formidable force for any M.V.F.C.defense to deal with. As far as Davis goes Wells had over twice as many pass attempts in the scrimmages and Davis only had one completion so that should tell some people something. I believe the coaches have a plan for Wells at some point this season. .when and where remain to be seen!!