Poll

Who do you believe should be YSU's starting QB?

Dante Nania
2 (9.5%)
Ricky Davis
16 (76.2%)
Tanner Gerry
1 (4.8%)
Other
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Starting Quarterback Poll  (Read 23410 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Starting Quarterback Poll
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »
Great point Wick.

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 08:05:05 AM »
What QBs are getting all the reps in practice? The last thing I heard Wolf say in an interview after Red and White scrimmage last week was they were going to narrow the race because there were not enough reps for 3 QBs to share in practice?  Has anyone heard anymore than that?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »
I'm hearing a decision is coming Saturday after the scrimmage. Dante has the upper hand right now. Ricky has more talent and upside but has been very inconsistent in practice so looks like #3 starting week 1 for now.....

Offline MrGuin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:18:26 AM »
Nania will start, this is probably the best choice. But if he gets banged up, most likely he will, he has a history and he is not the biggest guy. Hunter Wells will be the back up. He has been having a very impressive Fall Camp. Ricky Davis has slipped to third on the depth chart. Garry and Wargo not really in the discussion

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
Nania will start, this is probably the best choice. But if he gets banged up, most likely he will, he has a history and he is not the biggest guy. Hunter Wells will be the back up. He has been having a very impressive Fall Camp. Ricky Davis has slipped to third on the depth chart. Garry and Wargo not really in the discussion
Interesting! I was figuring Wells to be in the mix this season.

Wolf always said if guys are even the youngest starts.

If Nania goes down again Wells may have 4 years starting. Surprised to hear that about Davis. I thought he looked OK at the scrimmage last Sat.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »
Didnt Hess start as a RS Frosh...I think we could see history repeat itself with Wells.
A Penguin for life!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
How about we wait until Wolford names a starter this week before we speculate with this "insider information." We've all seen how accurate this information has been on the past on this message board.... not accurate at all.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
Anybody go to the scrimmage today?  Any analysis beyond the "party line" on the university website?  The silence surrounding this football season is deafening.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
Anybody go to the scrimmage today?  Any analysis beyond the "party line" on the university website?  The silence surrounding this football season is deafening.

I don't live in Y-town anymore and I live too far away to make it to a scrimmage.  However if I were still there I would provide my observations like I did when I lived there.  It seems that less people are attending the scrimmages.   I would wake up early on a Saturday get the kids ready and drink my Dunkin Donuts coffee while watching the scrimmages.   Enjoyable Saturday morning for me.  After I posted my observations I would get all kinds of feedback from others that attended.   Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.   It would appear that less people on this site attend the scrimmages.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:12:26 PM by penguinpower »

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »
Yeah I went to the scrimmage today and to me looks like Nania did nothing to hurt his starting chances week 1!  He got almost all the reps with the first team except on both 2 minute drill situations, which makes me think that true frosh Wells may get into some games in certain situatons.  Wells took all the reps with the 2nd team, and Davis got all the reps with the 3rd team!  Dante can definitely do some things with his feet that the QBs cant do, however I think Wells may be a more pro-typical QB that YSU may eventually be looking for,  he looked comfortable in the pocket directing the offense!  If I were to guess Nania will start and Wells may work in a couple of series to get some reps in game situations, or I may be completely wrong!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »
After reading Scale o's article I say to play Hunter Wells.  You have a long time to develop him and he probably won't be running as much.  More long term upside.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
If Nania is named the starter, then rest assured he earned it. We all know Wolford's take on who to play, so if the upperclassmen wins the job, then we know he EARNED it.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
Several points -- after last season, I told all of you that YSU would have to change  its O for this season because of the drop off in QB talent, relying on a run game and throwing a short pass game. THat is EXACTLY what they are doing now with Nania. They will employ a QB who throws short play  action passes and runs the ball on roll out, options and scrambles rather than throwing it up for grabs. Davis also fits this mold. Wells does not. Wargo remains the mistake I said he was when they recruited him and  hotdog Garry round out the list of QBs.

Second, I have said repeatedly that I expected Nania to be the season starter and that appears to be the case  as he has been effective on the short pass game and adding a running dimension to the O . I have also said that I expected Davis over the course of the first 4 games ( B1G  basement dwelling Illini and 3 FCS weenie games) to eventually become the starter. Davis, for what ever reason appears to be in Wolf's doghouse and is currently listed 3rd. Expect him to "work" his way back to being considered a starter by Wolf.  He is clearly still the most talented QB on the team. The back-up they list as true Frosh Wells, who has thrown interceptions after INTs against the MVFC  basement dwelling YSU  D. I sit back and chuckle as Wolf is clearly playing with your heads or Is  insane to even consider  playing a raw , limited skill true  Frosh as the starter at QB this season. I'd expect him to be red-shirted and put on a serious weight program.

Finally, If anyone watches the scrimmages, several things should jump out at you  --- YSU is young and/or inexperienced at  many positions, QBs included. However , the rest of the team has this same problem and they are trying to overcome that with transfers, limiting what they do on both O & D and trying out several people to build a team that can compete. Starting out 3-1 is pretty much in the cards but after that, YSU becomes   pretty average or worse after that .  At that point the REAL YSU team will be revealed. While there are some good athletes at some positions, clearly YSU lacks players at many positions who won't fare well against the competition in the MVFC.

QB may be one of those positions.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:07:14 PM by paladin »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
Yeah it's gonna be Nania to start the season I assume. He's a runner, but MVC defenses will have field days if he struggles to throw the ball..... Defense is starting to look promising.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 09:10:13 PM »
BTW, its also humorous  to note that for all the ability that Wolf has for recruiting, QB remains a bust for him.  He has recruited  only one real QB with ability needed at this level and he transferred out after sitting behind Hess for a couple of seasons. Every QB Wolf has now is limited in skills or under achieves for this level of play. Safe to say that YSU best teams aren't here now and won't be until they get a good QB.

Ironic.