Author Topic: Tressel accepts job as YSU President in principal  (Read 24820 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Tressel accepts job as YSU President in principal
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »
Congratulations Jim and congratulations to all of us.  This is a great day.  Several early thoughts:

Eric, your new boss hates bad defense more than we do.  Get it fixed.  Now!

Support for football has eroded terribly over the past decade plus.  This hiring might convince some fans to give YSU football a second chance. 

Each year we bring prospective students and their parents to campus for what is called a "crash day."  Imagine the impact that Tressel will have on those gatherings.  He will be there for hours posing for pictures.  His football recruiting talents will transfer to the general student body.

Money people.  You wanted him; you got him.  Time to step up to the plate.

Post of the year
The part about his new boss hating bad defense worse than us fans busted me up.

Offline Iceman

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:40 AM »
Just a heads up, go read the reaction around the country. YSU is being held up to scorn and ridicule heavily for the hiring, but most held Akron up for the same. Might be popular locally, but the   outside world  is looking down their collective noses at this. Will be interesting to see how this actually plays out.

Exactly, YSU is the laughingstock of the nation right now.  The guy is a proven cheater & liar, but I guess that doesn't matter.  How about another 2Pac quote Jimmy!

Who cares? Let them keep talking  ...more advertising for us. I can see ESPN and  the MVFC network calling right now to see if the president sits in a box or a loge. If the later does he come down for interviews.

Local money coming back into the university, as they know they have to put their money where their mouth is.

Akron people saying 'he took YSU because we did not want him' while YSU people saying Tressel did not want Akron. Nice fresh seed for a rivalry.

Ahh ...feels like Youngstown again  :)

President Tressel, first order of business ...take over that Eastern Gateway ...or get it shut down! Then do the same with Kent Trumbull. Otherwise YSU will continue to dwell in "mediocrity"

It could not have worked out better
First off, iceman, you never have anything positive to say, so I could careless what you, or anyone across the nation thinks of this move. Inside the Buckeye state, it is being praised by our great Governor, Senator's, local politicians, and fans of Tressel all across Ohio.

Second, IAAFan, I agree with everything up to a point. I disagree about Eastern Gateway. This area badly needs that community college. Those students, at least initially, should not be going to YSU. A bad wrap about YSU is the fact they accept virtually everyone. Now, since they made it slightly tougher to get in, many of those students that would have gone to YSU before are now going to EGCC. We need our area educated across the board. A nice mix of college grads and community college grads is better than an area filled with those with just high school diplomas.

How can a guy who has cheated & lied his whole professional life (& brought sanctions to YSU) stand up in front of students and faculty and preach about integrity & character when he has none himself?  WHat will he lie about and try to cover-up as Prez?  They don't call him Teflon Tressel for nothing.  He's a big a hypocrite as they come

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
Just a heads up, go read the reaction around the country. YSU is being held up to scorn and ridicule heavily for the hiring, but most held Akron up for the same. Might be popular locally, but the   outside world  is looking down their collective noses at this. Will be interesting to see how this actually plays out.

Exactly, YSU is the laughingstock of the nation right now.  The guy is a proven cheater & liar, but I guess that doesn't matter.  How about another 2Pac quote Jimmy!

Who cares? Let them keep talking  ...more advertising for us. I can see ESPN and  the MVFC network calling right now to see if the president sits in a box or a loge. If the later does he come down for interviews.

Local money coming back into the university, as they know they have to put their money where their mouth is.

Akron people saying 'he took YSU because we did not want him' while YSU people saying Tressel did not want Akron. Nice fresh seed for a rivalry.

Ahh ...feels like Youngstown again  :)

President Tressel, first order of business ...take over that Eastern Gateway ...or get it shut down! Then do the same with Kent Trumbull. Otherwise YSU will continue to dwell in "mediocrity"

It could not have worked out better
First off, iceman, you never have anything positive to say, so I could careless what you, or anyone across the nation thinks of this move. Inside the Buckeye state, it is being praised by our great Governor, Senator's, local politicians, and fans of Tressel all across Ohio.

Second, IAAFan, I agree with everything up to a point. I disagree about Eastern Gateway. This area badly needs that community college. Those students, at least initially, should not be going to YSU. A bad wrap about YSU is the fact they accept virtually everyone. Now, since they made it slightly tougher to get in, many of those students that would have gone to YSU before are now going to EGCC. We need our area educated across the board. A nice mix of college grads and community college grads is better than an area filled with those with just high school diplomas.

How can a guy who has cheated & lied his whole professional life (& brought sanctions to YSU) stand up in front of students and faculty and preach about integrity & character when he has none himself?  WHat will he lie about and try to cover-up as Prez?  They don't call him Teflon Tressel for nothing.  He's a big a hypocrite as they come

Tressel suffers from the human condition just as everyone else here.  Only one person was perfect and every Christian religion is based on that person.  Use some wisdom.   What Tressel did and was accused of is violating an ncaaf rule not breaking the law or committing any crimes.  If you keep believing sensationalized news you will lose the proper perspective.   Use your wisdom and measure him for his strengths.  He beats out any of the candidates that he was up against except arguably Dr. Abram.  The fact that Tressel WILL get the support of the community makes him a grand slam home run based on the current economic challenges that all higher education is faced with.......namely lack of $.  Abram would have been a bigger gamble in the most important area of need.  I don't live in Y-town anymore, but the impact is national.  I have heard from people all over the country that have commented on it (I am a mini superfan so a lot of people know about YSU because of unprovoked lessons that I give to friends).

Leadership skill is based on results.  Tressel has the track record.  How many people that posses his leadership skills would pick YSU over many other high profile opportunities?  Tressel belongs to Youngstown as much as any of our Iconic people in our storied past (i.e. Warner Brother etc).  He is exactly what we need and we are fortunate that he is humble enough to want us too.  He is not perfect and no one is perfect, but he is a lot closer than most.  He has left good and remarkable impact on every community that he has been a part of.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:20:22 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »
Jim Tressel, is what YSU and our community needs, he has the respect of politicians, players, the wealthy and will get things done.  The haters will bring up the bullsh** on he lied this and that, listen to the ESPN mudslinging and that idiot Bertram on the Vindy.  The people in football in the know, KNOW who and what JT was and how he treated people.  He took his punishment, never complained.  He didnt run like Carroll did from USC.  JT never has to work again, what does that say about the man.  I say great job trustees and Welcome home, Coach.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
While i understand both sides of the debate...in my opinion "we" are the laughing stock of the country anyway.  We make a list as the worse place to live and then another list as one of the best places to raise a family.  Uhhhhhhh...make up your mind.  Who cares what the rest of the country thinks?!?!  I think what is MORE laughable is the "right guy" with the "right qualifications" left after a few months.  The country laughs at us regardless of OUR choice in YSU president.  Let them laugh from a distance...they wouldn't come here and don't want to come here anyway. So once again i say, who cares what THEY think!!!  The only thing that matters is what WE think and what OUR opinion is.  And at this point, the vast majority of OUR opinion seems to be in favor of the hire.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:51:27 AM by YSU FAN#34 »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
34, excellent points.  I remember when the steel mills closed.  We received great national sympathy for about a year.  Then that same national press started to mock us for high unemployment and those mill skeletons that stood for far too long.  The rest of the country is indeed irrelevant.  The only thing that counts is the university community, the Mahoning Valley community, and the community of YSU alumni scattered across the world.  And no president since the founder, Howard Jones, will enter office with as much goodwill and hope for the future as Jim Tressel. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:29:52 PM by Wick250 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
3 year contract for Tressel. 300k a year. 75 less than Dunn made.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »

Glad that you brought up the money.  In fact, the board offered him the same amount as Dunn....375K.  He turned that down and insisted upon....300k :)  So much for the cynics that insisted that Tressel was never interested in the YSU job but was simply "playing" us to hike up his contract with the Zips.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »
yeah good symbolism there....or it could also be his wanting to stay in a lower tax bracket....33% vs 35%......he better be ready to be the savior.  Hes now more powerful than the mayor.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »
I think that that $75,000 speaks volumes about him as a person and his intentions. I did not see that coming. If someone finds a downside about this then they are looking too hard for something that is not there.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »
Glad JT is coming back to YSU.  Because of decreased government funding, the primary job of a university president has changed from an educator to a fund-raiser, and that makes JT a great fit.  Look forward to seeing him at the ICE Castle this fall.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »
Bad news for the likes who want Strollo fired (wick and paladin ). Tressel hired half the current department, they will now be secured to do as they wish for as long as Tressel is at YSU.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 06:35:56 PM »
Jjysuwin....though I THINK your total post is BS...let me say I would be happy to know Strollo
Would remain till the end of Tressel....we will then have two good guys in leadership.  Just my opinion, I truly don't care whoever would agree with me.  Cheers!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
I agree.  Both Jim Tressel and Ron Strollo are top quality individuals who will do the best possible job with the limited resources available.  I do not believe we could get a better pair to do the best that is possible with YSU athletics considering the environment they are in at YSU.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
When I went to school in the early to mid-eighties, we had an enrollment of over 16,000.  I would love to see those days again.  Maybe Tress can do it!  What do you all think?