Author Topic: 2013-2014 Basketball schedule is out  (Read 8884 times)

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
2013-2014 Basketball schedule is out
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »
I can't believe the YSU 2013-2014 home schedule; it is pitiful!!! We have Warren Wilson(wow), Thiel, Westminster, Robert Morris, Bethune-Cookman and South Dakota - now that's a great group of home games. The Athletic Department treats the home folks with absolutely with no respect!!

Every year this happens and they give some lame excuse for the poor scheduling of home games. Last year they blamed it on Butler leaving the Horizon. The home schedule has been horrible for many, many years; in fact: since Mike Rice was here. He scheduled renown teams that we wanted to see.

I'm sure we will get large crowds to see Thiel and the likes!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Basketball schedule is out
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »
The schedule comes out then clowns like you spout off not knowing the facts. Our University does not give the basketball program money to "buy" games like the other schools in our conference so schools won't come here. And if you look, most if not all schools schedule lower division wins. People should come to the games to support the team.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
OleYSUfan - can I assume you feel the same way about non-conference football games with Dayton, Morehead State and Duquesne?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
A schedule with four DI ooc home games is actually better than what we have endured in the past few years.  Here is our fundamental problem.  Fans at other Horizon League schools are discussing league basketball attendance figures that the NCAA got around to releasing.  We actually finished in the middle (2400+) ahead of CSU and Detroit.  Wright State led with only around 3800, probably around half of what they drew twenty years ago.  So at mid-majors, attendance is tough is this age of tv saturation of the big boys.  Attendance is even tougher here at YSU where casual fans harbor little interest in the game of basketball itself.  So weak schedules repel fans but, without fans, we have no money to schedule better opponents.  Nice.  For me, since we were able to schedule those four DI games, I would play only one junk team and not three.  Either play fewer games than most or go after two more money games. 

Indy, the analogy to Dayton, Morehead, and Duquesne does not work.  You and I know the true nature of those football programs, but casual fans do not.  They recognize Dayton and Duquesne because of their significant basketball traditions.  And the NCAA gave a cloak of respectability to those programs when they stupidly admitted the NEC and the Pioneer leagues into the playoffs.  Thus, these are precisely the tune-up games we should be feasting on.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
Thiel and Westminster??? Really.... Why can't we ever somebody decent to come here???

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:53 AM »
That's a pathetic schedule.  It doesn't matter why it is what it is, the fact is it's pathetic.  Sorry ItalianPenguin, but fans should not have to endure this year after year.  What about the Covelli Centre game that was supposed to bring in a big-time team, what happened to that game?  I'm just sick and tired of YSU treating men's basketball like the red-headed stepchild to the football team.  Men's basketball should be a major money maker, even if that means playing numerous big-time teams on the road.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
I should have opened with:  "That's a pathetic HOME schedule"   :(

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »
Wick--the men have 3 tune-up games they should win (Warren Wilson, Thiel, and Westminster) and 3 "money" games they should lose (UMass, Pitt, and St John's). Sounds like a fair trade off to me. The problem is we have to go on the road to play anyone decent. That's a better percentage of weenies to toughies than football plays so I agree with Indy. Nick, come on, you're smarter than that. Who in their right mind is going to come here to play when you have nothing but road games. These kids deserve to play at home and the way our men's bkb budget is structured, that's the best they can do. I guess if it bothers people that much, stay home. The idea is to support the student athletes at YSU. If you like basketball you're punishing yourself if you don't come. Would it make you feel better if they charged everyone an extra $1000 for your season ticket so we could buy games like Wright and others do?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:39:27 AM by ItalianPenguin »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »
Also keep in mind the Warren Wilson game is actually a part of the Kennesaw St tournament and all the teams in the tournament are playing them at home. We didn't schedule that game

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Are the games at UMass Pitt and St. Johns big payouts for the program?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
The numbers are nowhere near what football payouts are - smaller attendance, smaller TV money.

This story from 2012 talks about Big 10 teams paying in the $60k-$80k range with $110k considered notable

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/04/10/pay-play-u-shelled-out-645000-nonconference-games-%E2%80%9911-12

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
That's why you play 3 of them. If you total them up, they approach one football payout.